NERVES!!!!!!

So today is the day I start my Cat C, I’m up in Notts waiting patiently for 3:00…

Reading loads on the forum and time and time again I come across the saying… "It’s not people’s driving ability that lets them down but their nerves’

I have never been good at keeping my nerves at bay… I’m aweful when it comes to tests even if I have studied really hard. I was such a stress head over exams and dissertation time in uni… I used to drive everyone mad… And always pass. When I did my mod 2 In panicked and thought I was going to fail, I passed very well! I’m my worst enemy… Today is day one, not even the test and I’m sitting here as nervous as hell!!! I’m hoping that a few hours on course will help me become comfortable and more confident, but I know myself and I know the nerves will be a HUGE factor on Thursday for my test…

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep them in check and how to overcome this major hurdle?

I wont patronise you by telling you it will all be fine and there’s nothing to worry about - - you wont listen if I did!!!

I was once told to imagine the examiner naked. Don’t know if that works for you but it has worked for others!

In the meantime, enjoy your course. At least you’ll know where the wiper switch is!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Try Kalms tablets from Boots, a natural herbal remedy .

Dutch courage works for most…

Try not to forward plan too much.
For example…
Don’t start looking for jobs
Telling everyone at working your leaving
Don’t tell everyone you have truck training.
etc, etc.

Try to picture it is a learning experience, i.e a weekend learning to drive offroad, it is a fun new experience and even if you fail you will have learnt lots and be ready to go at it again. A lot of people fail because they put so much pressure on their selves to pass first time.

The more pressure you put yourself on to pass the more nervous you will get.

I’ve been recommended Kalms Herbal Tablets. Available at Boots.
No idea if they good but at worst it will still give you the placebo effect.

Thanks all for the replies…

Today went so well, feel so much calmer after being out for a few weeks and my debrief filled me with lots of confidence. My instructor says as long as carry on as I did today and build on it I should have no problems passing…

Peter Smythe:
I wont patronise you by telling you it will all be fine and there’s nothing to worry about - - you wont listen if I did!!!

I was once told to imagine the examiner naked. Don’t know if that works for you but it has worked for others!

In the meantime, enjoy your course. At least you’ll know where the wiper switch is!

Pete… Chris has made me feel so comfortable and I have thoroughly enjoyed the few hours I had today… The truck is lovely to drive and I’m super excited for the rest of the week now. I am also best friends with the wipers! :slight_smile: Chris recons naked is not a good idea… We have already joked about that, he imagines them as cartoon characters!

1 day down… Tomorrow I have 5 hours, including reversing. We will see how I feel after that hurdle :confused:

Adam277 unfortunately all the things you have said have already happened. I’m very lucky as my partner is already an HGV driver and I go out with him regularly. We are hoping to double man at some point. In order to be able to afford this in the time I want I had to resign from work in order to take on agency work in my current line of work which healds double the reward and allows me to pay for the courses, and so as to not have work thinking I’m leaving them because I’m unhappy they were told I am leaving them to change careers… They think I’m mad!

As for not looking for work… My partners company take on new drivers, and have before helped train and taken on a drivers son. My partner mentioned just yesterday I was doing my Cat C this week and his boss has now offered for me to practice reversing in the yard and driving on L plates with an empty trailer when out with my partner for my C + E. So the pressure is on as this is likely going to be my new boss to start with. Saying that as much as the pressure is on… I’m very lucky to have this offer and work lined up…

I will have a look for Kalms… Although I don’t think they work much. I think I have tried before…

Littlecar… Dutch Courage■■?

You cannot go out with C+E and L plates until C is passed - just saying as it seems you might be thinking that :question:

Once C is passed you can drive a L plate C+E fully loaded

ROG:
You cannot go out with C+E and L plates until C is passed - just saying as it seems you might be thinking that :question:

Once C is passed you can drive a L plate C+E fully loaded

Not at all ROG, I am fully aware that I have to have the Cat C first as this gives you the provisional entitlement for C+E. I am doing that this week… And it’s because of this that the offer has been made… No pass, no provisional! Hence why I have said I feel like the pressure is on… His boss, my likely new boss knows I’m doing the test this week.

Hope that clears that up…

After day 1 I felt really confident and a lot calmer… As the course has progressed so have my skills and my instructor thinks as long as I keep at the level I’m at and not make any mistakes tomorrow I will be fine…

Day 2 was ok… Reverse was a doddle… I really did not struggle with that. My first drive was not great for some reason I was in car mode and kept holding on the park break and releasing it slowly lurching the vehicle forward and on one occasion stalled… Imaginary slapped wrist on the debrief back in the yard and that was sorted. But I beat myself up all night about the drive and spent the evening whittling away at The few things I did wrong… Saying that I had a huge amount of hazards to contend with… People have death wishes… Running in front of lorries, and with L plates!

Day 3 much better driving day… Everything has improved and become tidier, no major mistakes… I did however go in the wrong direction from what was asked, but safely… Indicated the right way for the way I went lol… Not a fail but may upset the examiner! At my age you think I would not get my left and right mixed up! Fluffed 1 reverse up but thats the only one I have fluffed up so far… And I knew I was going wrong and know if it happens tomorrow to take a shunt if needed as a minor is better than a fail…

2 more hours tomorrow and then test… Altough I feel I have made some silly mistakes and have beat my self up about them, I have to remind myself I have never driven a rigid before and this course was to learn how to handle a rigid and I have done that… Without any major concerns… On reflection it’s gone well. But I’m still as nervous as hell!!!

My instructor is brilliant and so is the school I’m with, could not fault them in anything… Such a a amazing team… Let’s hope my examiner is just as lovely and I have no issues tomorrow. Fingers crossed…

Thank you for letting me put this all down, it helps “writing” it down… Keeps me focused.

Best of luck for tomorrow!

All the best for tomorrow. Difficult asking someone to relax and enjoy the ride - but that is the ultimate. You’ve said clearly that you can drive well and that’s more than you really need to do. Just don’t do anything daft and it’s in the bag.

Try to do something nice this evening. And all will be well in the morning.

Peter Smythe:
All the best for tomorrow. Difficult asking someone to relax and enjoy the ride - but that is the ultimate. You’ve said clearly that you can drive well and that’s more than you really need to do. Just don’t do anything daft and it’s in the bag.

Try to do something nice this evening. And all will be well in the morning.

Ah thanks Pete… I hope to have my pic on your fb page tomorrow with my pass certificate and a massive grin :smiley:

As for doing something nice this evening… It’s a little hard being in a strange town not knowing anyone… This forum and net flix are my favorite go to’s this evening for company and an early night me thinks all ready and fresh for tomorrow’s pass… PMA as Chris says… positive mental attitude.

LittleCar:
Best of luck for tomorrow!

Thank you littlecar :slight_smile:

Sounds like you got it down.

If you end up going the wrong way just commit to it.
I know you know you can’t fail by going the wrong way but a lot of people end up trying to correct it half way through the maneuver / forgetting to indicator/checking mirrors etc…
Doesn’t help when some examiners let them know rather loudly that they are not doing as instructed.

Just go slow and be patient so you have time to think and you will be fine.
Always wait for that safe gap to go, if in doubt do not pull out.

On my car test I missed a turning on my independent drive, no big deal, just carried on and let the examiner guide me. Just think of them as a giant sat nav lol, just don’t ignore them or tell them to ■■■■ off! Haha

Examiners are human after all, and like one of them told me, I don’t want you to fail, there’s too much paperwork afterwards lol

NickW88:
On my car test I missed a turning on my independent drive, no big deal, just carried on and let the examiner guide me. Just think of them as a giant sat nav lol, just don’t ignore them or tell them to [zb] off! Haha

Examiners are human after all, and like one of them told me, I don’t want you to fail, there’s too much paperwork afterwards lol

No one would notice you missing a turning bellend, you drive a Beamer, so you don’t use the bloody indicators anyway! :grimacing:

Best of luck OP, and try to think of nerves as irreverent, and a pointless emotion. Their only real relevance is a hindrance…
Try to forget them and get on with the test with the mindset that your abilities and concentration will govern the result, and not nerves!
Best of luck! :smiley:

They’re only there for the MOT mate or I’d take them off! Lol

BMW are for the rich. ^^
We don’t don’t have to indicator we always have right of way. As mustn’t miss our important meeting. T’is why we have a phone glued to our ear all the time while driving.

I actually use my indicators, I’m certainly not rich and never ever use a hand held phone while driving, it’s either voice commands or Bluetooth hands free.

I drive a Merc, it’s amazing how easy it is not to use indicators.