Nerves and keeping them at bay?

During my class 2 training I’ve learnt one thing in particular is how I can be affected quite badly by nerves. If I’m reasonably comfortable and don’t feel under pressure I drive far better than if I’m uncomfortable and feel under pressure from a “must get it right” sort of mindset, if you get what I’m on about?

Does anyone have any advice as to some techniques to not let these nerves set in too much, particularly if unexpected things happen (e.g. big error or car pulling out in front too close etc) that can knock confidence building? Like for example, although my driving seemed to go quite well yesterday ( :smiley: ) , the day prior to that as soon as I lost my confidence the pressure started building up and subsequently I was making bigger and bigger mistakes. :blush:

U should have a read of my class 1 training diary it won’t help but shows how bad the nerves can be!

As Bruce Lee once said" be like water my friend "and “don’t think about the outcome just focus on what you are doing”

Good luck :wink:

Nerves were the killer for me in my last two tests.

The training I received was two to one i.e two trainees, one instructor. On my third test I was to be tested second whereas on my previous tests I was first and never had the chance to get a drive of the truck that morning however on Thursday there I got twenty minutes driving right before my test and it was a great drive. I think this boosted my confidence a little bit.

During my test I felt really comfortable and focused merely on driving and keeping control of my wagon. I didn’t even think about it being my test, just imagined it as another drive with my instructor.

Maybe I’m blabbering on and not answering your question LOL

Basically, keep calm, concentrate on driving the lorry and try not to think that it’s your test. Not easy I know but it worked for me oh, and about twenty ■■■■ before helped too!!

I find RDCs are good places for keeping things at bay.

There is no solution to this problem really all you can so is relax and accept mistakes do happen, tomorrow is another day with another chance.

I remember reading something before when I was preparing for a job interview. It was talking about how people that get nervous in interviews find it extremely hard just to talk, they mumble, stutter and generally just can’t string a sentence properly.

The reason for it is apparently a chemical that our bodies produce in that situation of high stress that physically hinders our abilities to carry out very simple things i.e. processing what the interviewer said and outputting a sensible answer and keeping the flow of the sentence.

The solution to this was simply breathing exercises. just slow deep breaths, apparently this helps to expel those chemicals. I’m not claiming its true or not its just something you could possibly try, can’t hurt can it? (unless you get really light headed and fall when climbing into the cab!)

Another thing that has been mentioned and I can vouch for it, talking to the examiner. I was lucky my examiner was a really cool bloke. the first thing he done was laugh at my licence mug shot lol. but just strike up a conversation with him/her it will really relax you and make it feel like less of a test and more of a drive :sunglasses:

Hi - as OP said breathing exercises help, try to take out 5-10 mins a day sitting in piece and quiet and relax listening to yoru breathing going in and out and picture urself enjoying ur driving day etc - yeah u may get knocked if something happens but as you do this more your ability to deal with the reaction of getting knocked confidence will be better and over time you will be able to cope much easier … they do so say good pattern adn controlled breathing is the key to childbirth so its good be good right

When a person signs up for a driving test they pretty much know they will be nervous on the day. The big question is what actually causes the nerves ?

Asking students this question seldom produces an answer that can be worked on generally so in my opinion these are the main reasons for test day nerves.

1. The fear of failing and having to tell people you failed.
  2. The cost of the retest when really you can’t afford it

On test day a candidate usually focuses on the result rather than worrying about mirrors, positioning etc. The result will always take care of itself, the driving won’t.

There is no magic cure to these nerves so be prepared for them. Try to turn that gut wrenching fear into adrenoline, excitement. Much like going onto a massive roller coaster.

Talk to the examiner early on about something personal. It will make you feel on an even level with him.

Above all CONVINCE YOURSELF YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO PASS because basically you are.

Keep the faith

Regards

John
Flair Training

If this is situation specific and serious, then you might want to talk it over with your G.P. - some folks find that Beta Blockers help.

patient.co.uk/health/Beta-Blockers.htm

Thanks for the replies. I’ve not been very well the past couple of days, and the test is tomorrow morning. :open_mouth: Well if the worst happens and I fail, I can always go and do it again another day. :sunglasses: I just hope I get a good friendly examiner who likes to talk, unlike the first car driving examiner I had. :laughing:

Good luck for tomorrow.

I thought I had the worst examiner in the world and I was so nervous the first time I said very little except to confirm where he wanted me to go.

Just my luck I had the same guy the second time and I was obviously not so memorable as he treated me as if he had never met me and it was only a short time between my tests.

Anyway the reverse went well and the controlled stop went without incident. Plenty of confidence, I decided to chat to him as a human being once I had settled into the journey and I found that both he and I relaxed and we had a far better experience.

If you can get over the nerves then just chat to him / her and you will hopefully find it goes a lot smoother for you.

Just my 2p worth.

Dean

Good look for your test :slight_smile:
On my C+E test i had loads of nurvs untill i nailed my reverse & un-couple & re-couple

Tell your examiner that your nervous an it will make you more carmer if you can talk to each other.
This worked on my cat C re-test

When I did my test’s, Lucy recommended something to me, its in a little bottle and you put a few drops in a bottle of water and it calms you down, when I took my class one test, I emptied half the bottle into my water bottle and to be honest I can’t remember the test, it calmed me down too much, lol, when he told me I had passed I had a dazed look on my face and couldn’t really take in what was happening lol!

When i did mine i took my bong and kept on the engine cover, so whenever he asked me to pull over i took the opportunity it have a quick puff. He was pretty understanding, it turned out that he enjoyed a smoke for time to time aswell.