Nells cafe gravesend

Was post last week about parking that area. Been talking to a fitter that lives near there. He told me
No more hgv parking there as McDonalds have bought the land…
How ever as ever the car park was tarmaced over made ready for building to start. And our fellow travellers found a window and moved in…once there evicted McDonalds are planning to move in. So yet again more parking spaces and access to services are lost

That that then no more parking there and I can’t see unit and trailer going through drive through

Uncleskid:
That that then no more parking there and I can’t see unit and trailer going through drive through

If one does t will be posted under numpty’s done it again [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously McDonald’s offer was better than hgv’s paying parking and having a bacon butty.

I would assume the investment company who paid the owners to sit on a veranda in Spain, are happy.

Can’t imagine Nell’s are too pleased about having a McDonalds opening right opposite.

biggriffin:
Obviously McDonald’s offer was better than hgv’s paying parking and having a bacon butty.

I would assume the investment company who paid the owners to sit on a veranda in Spain, are happy.

Pretty sure that parking there was free.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It was free although a bit tight to get in at times. As said on other threads were being forced off the roads slowly and into overcrowded motorway service areas

Used to be good café yrs ago.Parking was tight,not been in since I ret 18yrs ago.Is the cafe closed now?

It’s not Nells that’s having the McDonald’s its the shell services with the disused hotel a cpl of junctions back .locals have had signs up for awhile with say no to McDonald’s

dafdave:
Used to be good café yrs ago.Parking was tight,not been in since I ret 18yrs ago.Is the cafe closed now?

No the cafe is still open

chester1:

dafdave:

Only trouble is there’s nowhere to park

Uncleskid:

chester1:

dafdave:

Only trouble is there’s nowhere to park

Only trouble is it is expensive and the food is crap, at least it was the last time I used it, which was some time ago. Nell’s for me was always a back up plan if I couldn’t get parked at the Merrychest or the Ponderosa (anyone remember that? In the layby just past the Black Prince)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Only trouble is it is expensive and the food is crap, at least it was the last time I used it, which was some time ago. Nell’s for me was always a back up plan if I couldn’t get parked at the Merrychest or the Ponderosa (anyone remember that? In the layby just past the Black Prince)

There used to be a sign outside Nell’s saying “The rich and famous eat here” and we used to say that you had to be rich to eat there. If I did want a cooked meal I would always prefer the Merry Chest. Was the Ponderosa on a sort of roundabout shaped layby?

The Ponderosa was in between the Black Prince and the Dartford Heath turn offs, it was before they put a hard shoulder in, there was one both sides of the road, but the eastbound side one was the better of the two and it was 24hrs, only a portacabin type thing, but good food.

The one in the roundabout layby was at the bottom of Swanscombe Cutting, I think it’s called the Ebbsfleet junction nowadays. Never used it much, it was a proper drag up the hill if you stopped there.

As we said, the Merrychest was the place to stop, a good feed in there and I’m bloody drooling now thinking about one of their breakfasts!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Merrychest? Didn’t you used to walk under the A2 through a tunnel and there was a pub not far from the other end or was I drinking too much in the 70’s?

Beau Nydel:
Merrychest? Didn’t you used to walk under the A2 through a tunnel and there was a pub not far from the other end or was I drinking too much in the 70’s?

Yes, correct on both counts :wink:

The Merry Chest is reopening on 20th August! Same great breakfast you say about above and still plenty of parking!

No need to be ‘rich and famous’ here either - we much prefer normal people!

Darn. Won’t be one of the preferred clientele then if you need to be normal :frowning:

Don’t think it’ll make much difference to nells trade.
Last time I parked there at beginning of year it was full of EE on a Monday morning and they weren’t using the cafe.
Just the free parking!
The rubbish was disgusting. Kids toys and household rubbish most of it so obviously not from lorrys.
According to local news travellers had been on it…

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk