Need some info please

Hi gents and ladies, i just need some info or help really, been trying to look up on the net for lorry companies in the area of buckinghamshire or near london since i live in high wycombe, basicaly i would like to find work once i get my class 1 soon, but i want to drive all over the UK and not do any of that trunking stuff, i would like to find companies that drive all over the UK and that will keep me away from home for no more that 4 days but don’t know how to word it out on the seach bar, if i was in the US i wouldn’t have any problems finding a long haul trucking company but i live in this wonderfull country now and i need some help on knowing how to word it out over here, basically just want to work hopefully monday to friday trucking with my artic lorry all around the UK and home after about 3-4 days out, no europe driving just yet till i get used to the UK roads first, i always said if i can drive an 18 wheeler all across the US and manuver it in and out of new york city with roads smaller than in london then i should be able to drive a lorry over here since they are alot more smaller…anyways hope you guys can help me with the info i need and thanx a lot in advance for it…cheers and have a great week y’all :smiley:

the work your looking for would be container driver of fridge work mate

What you are looking for is commonly called TRAMPING which usually means starting Sunday afternoon or Monday morning and getting home Friday or Saturday.

I’ve never seen the word TRAMPER or TRAMPING on a jobsite so you might struggle to search for such.
Often find the words NIGHTS OUT but that could be anything from one to five nights out in a week.

With the UK being a lot smaller than the US, then need for being out all week is a lot less as many runs can be done with just the odd overnight stop.

thank you guys for the info, i will keep that tramping in mind, i have also heard the word trunking and i think that means going from depo to depo just transfering trailers and with that you can be home everyday which is great but i thought that if i stay gone 3 to 5 days away from home i could make more money driving around the country

I don’t think that many drivers make a lot from their night out money but you could ask around and see what companies are paying :bulb:

ROG:
I don’t think that many drivers make a lot from their night out money but you could ask around and see what companies are paying :bulb:

I get £27 for a night out and I generally do 20-23 a month which comes to around £500, it covers my PAYE and NI.

I do the tramping thing, start Monday, finish either Friday or Saturday morning, occasional weekends away if I am weekended in Europe, my total take-home pay after stoppages and with night-out money is around £2100 a month.

I could earn as much or more driving a shopping trolley (Supermarket delivery vehicle) and be home every night, but where’s the fun in that? :wink:

well my friends i go for the theory test on thursday so hope to pass the ■■■■ thing and then will be doing the training which should be easy as ■■■■ for me given my 10 years driving 18 wheelers so just hope for the best, so tramping is what you guys call long haul trucking then, i defo want to drive all around in the UK for a while before doing the rest of europe, even though been home every night will be great since my lovely wife and i are having our first baby in 8 months but i would really like to be a long haul driver for some time