Need printout from my taco card using different unit?

Did one day of driving for a firm through an agency. Possible faulty unit: ‘? VDO’ and displaying with break symbol. Coudn’t get printout at end of day - unit just didn’t acknowledge print command.

Shift started and finished away from depot and so no office to get an upload from my card. Have been doing other non-taco work since and no opportunity to try a printout on another truck.

Could I get a printout from my card using another unit in a truck belonging to a different operator? I simply need to show that day’s activities and so far that is the only day on the card for this period. Or will the printout merely show data relating to the new truck and unit for the time my card is inserted?

I need to supply the operator with some record of my day’s driving for their records. Though can’t say they seem particularly bothered. After 28 days this data will overwrite.

Maybe I should just make a manual entry on a spare analogue card?

EDIT - sorry, just re-read your post. Yes, you can put your card in any truck and do a print out for that day providing it hasn’t been overwritten. Press OK then scroll to Printout Driver 1 and roll back to the date in question.

Yes you can do a printout from a different lorry. The data you would require is on the chip of your driver card, not the unit you are currently using. So crack on.

AdyJ:
I need to supply the operator with some record of my day’s driving for their records. Though can’t say they seem particularly bothered. After 28 days this data will overwrite.

The driver card holds a minimum of 28 days worth of data, in reality you’ll find it holds several months of records, it varies according to how much the card is used and how many activity changes there are but generally people find they can go back over 9/10 months and still view/print the records on the driver card.

As has been said you can put your card in any digital tachograph and get a printout for the date you want, just go to the driver 1 printout in the menu and change the date to the one you want a printout for.

Thank you all very much for this. Sounds like the card memory peforms same as any other in that data is only lost when that part of the chip (or drive) is overwritten. The 28 day thing is just the maximum number of days it can store I guess.

I haven’t used the card since so shouldn’t be a problem. Will post back if there is :confused:

Thanks again :slight_smile:

AdyJ:
The 28 day thing is just the maximum number of days it can store I guess.

28 days of data is the minimum that a driver card is designed to store not the maximum.

At least 28 days? Okay. Though we shouldn’t just assume it will store more and make sure we’ve give the card over for upload (or a printout for the operator’s records in my case) before or soon after the 28 days :confused:

How much data the card holds is different to the operators legal obligation to download the data.

• Generally a driver card will hold several months of records.
  • The transport operator is legally obliged to download the card data no later than 28 days from the last download.
  • The drivers only obligation is to make the card available for download.

AdyJ:
At least 28 days? Okay. Though we shouldn’t just assume it will store more and make sure we’ve give the card over for upload (or a printout for the operator’s records in my case) before or soon after the 28 days :confused:

I think it’s a safe bet to assume that it will hold more than 28 days Ady. I’m sat here idly scrolling through my tacho as I type (I can multitask) and the date it goes back to is 30/12/15.

Someone once said that the chip will hold a certain amount of “activities” ie start, stop, break, POA, other work, and will only overwrite once it has reached that number. What that means in reality is that a guy who does lots of 400 mile one hitters will have data going back a lot further than a guy on constant town centre multi drop work.

All making a lot more sense now, thanks.

Recently got a printout for me for the day in question. In a linear column graph form, driving represented by thickest columns. Very clear to see at a glance what I’ve been doing though tricky to check precise times. Sent this off to haulier and hope it’s adequate.

Thank you again for your help.

Remind to report it as a defect if you can not make a “print out”

It’s a MOT failure (26-3-H) , so it’s defiantly a defect.

AdyJ:
Recently got a printout for me for the day in question. In a linear column graph form, driving represented by thickest columns.

You never used a digital tachograph to do a card printout ?

I’ve no idea what this printout you refer to is, but if the haulier has asked for a printout they will want a tachograph printout taken directly from your card.

tachograph:

AdyJ:
Recently got a printout for me for the day in question. In a linear column graph form, driving represented by thickest columns.

I’ve no idea what this printout you refer to is, but if the haulier has asked for a printout they will want a tachograph printout taken directly from your card.

I had a break from driving for some years pursuing another career. Only just returned to driving and that day was my first using my taco card.

It is a printout from the taco card but with the activity in graph form, which is read holding the printout horizontally. I didn’t print this out myself - not driving just now because of other on-going work so had no access to a taco unit. Couldn’t get unit to print out on the day of my shift.

Haulier didn’t ask for it, I rang them and suggested it. Hadn’t heard a word from them.

caledoniandream:

Possible taco unit defect was reported to haulier on day. Now I have an activity printout, it is clear the unit was periodically switching to break throughout shift.

tachograph:

AdyJ:

VDO version 2 has a new printout called ‘activities’ which is the last 7 days as a mode trace like we used to have on analogue. It’s really good.

Just scroll down from the normal 24h printout until you see ‘activities’.

However, the activities print out isn’t what the boss or authorities would want to see. They want the 24h print

AdyJ:

caledoniandream:

Possible taco unit defect was reported to haulier on day. Now I have an activity printout, it is clear the unit was periodically switching to break throughout shift.

Some will switch to ‘break’ on ignition off and again possibly ‘work’ on ignition on. This varies so keep your eye on it in different trucks