Need info please

Hi all
I was wondering if i could try & get as much info on how to start up as a owner driver. picking the 2 units.
How much roughly for start up costs?
How to get secure contracts that could earn you a decent amount.
Ive no had much job with full time employment recently n been doing self employed agency work.
Is it a good idea to have a business partner
If any one could give me info that would be great thank davy

firstly, why 2 units?

start up costs will depend on why 2 units?

how to get secure contracts? that is the $64 million question, which not many people will want to answer

if you have a business partner, they will want half of your profit, leaving very little to be of any consequence to either of you

There’s a lot of these posts at the min ?

Dan Punchard:

word must have got out about how much money we are all making

Getting on decent work as an owner driver/small haulier is extremely & I do mean extremely difficult.

I’ve been fortunate enough in the past to get on possibly the best sub sontract work in the country but i’ve also been in the position of doing rubbish work till I sorted something better which is a horrendous experience.

Search the forum for a myriad of information on this very subject, may your road be smooth whatever you decide to do.

shuttlespanker:
firstly, why 2 units?

start up costs will depend on why 2 units?

how to get secure contracts? that is the $64 million question, which not many people will want to answer

if you have a business partner, they will want half of your profit, leaving very little to be of any consequence to either of you

I would like to have two units on the road then its means more earnings hopefully obviously double running costs but potential more earnings with 2 on the road.
I just think rather than go into alone. I would like my father in law to work along side me.
The now its just ideas but i want to put them into action.
Im wanting to know the rough start up cost etc.

To be honest with you guys
Im kinda in a spot where hardly any companies will take me on as ive only been doing class 1 work for just over a 14 month n had my class 2 since 2010 but feel since im self employed working for a agency who cant pay my wages on time etc
I might as well try as its all way interested me since i was a kid.
2 generations in my family have been class 1 drivers n i kinda followed in there footsteps but want to push myself 1 step forward to do that bit more for myself n family.

well, Operator Licence costs are £7700 for the first truck and £4500 for every other truck after that, so, you would need £12,200 available funds to satisfy the TC alone

then there will be the cost of placing the advert for the operating centre, the cost of the O Licence application, the cost of the O Licence if the application is successful

insurance, road tax, fuel, phones for the vehicles, to name but a few things, these costs are all variable depending on the area of the country

Owner operators required at Rosewood trucking ltd.UK and European traction.
UKI Express UK/European.
Heritage at Dover.Fridge work.UK /European.
Or the concert firms for live music venues such as Transam.
Redburn Transfer.
Fly by night.
Paul Matthew for theatre and music tours.
Ralph Davies Cheltenham.Uk and some Euro work.
Gregorys at Devon.Depots at North Tawton\Cullumpton for UK traction.

seems to be a little confusion over operators licence fees, government site gives following figures. application fee. £254-00. issue fee£397-00. continuation fee after 5 years. £397-00. this is for u.k. operation only. regards ,jack.

shirtbox2003:
seems to be a little confusion over operators licence fees, government site gives following figures. application fee. £254-00. issue fee£397-00. continuation fee after 5 years. £397-00. this is for u.k. operation only. regards ,jack.

Hi mate,

Mr Spanky and yourself are both correct… you’ve mentioned the actual ‘O’ licence fees, but Mr Spanky was speaking of the minimum necessary cash reserves that must be in place and shown to the Traffic Commissioner before the ‘O’ licence application is granted. Those reserves should also be available at all times whilst the ‘O’ licence is in force.

Dan Punchard:

At least two a month and it’s all the same. Not a scooby amongst them. What’s the sense in doubling grands on a unit ( or 2 in this case) unless you’re guaranteed work for it.

I didn’t notice Daniel ( the only user I’ve seen go O/D since I’ve been on yer) come on with ■■■■ stupid ■■■■■■■ questions.

If you need to be asking how to boil and egg, you ought to be no where near eggs. Same applies with O/D haulage IMO

and the other million dollar question is plenty of companies offering regular work now, but which ones will still be offering the work in 7 weeks time ?

shuttlespanker:
well, Operator Licence costs are £7700 for the first truck and £4500 for every other truck after that,

Not having a dig because you’ve given me and others very helpful advice,but the current requirement is £7,200 for the first vehicle and £4,000 for subsequent vehicles, it’s come down because the actual amount is defined in euros and the £ has moved against the euro.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … inance.pdf

I’d spent about £29,000 before the first cheque came in IIRC.

edwardj:
and the other million dollar question is plenty of companies offering regular work now, but which ones will still be offering the work in 7 weeks time ?

Don’t forget other O licence criteria…such as Professionally Competent person nominated as Transport Manager - who now will more usually had to have passed the OCR Manager CPC exams rather than finding someone available who still retains CPC via Grandfather Rights. Then there’s maintenance arrangements, off-road parking at suitable operating centre - all of which will incur a cost. As others have said …it ain’t easy, setting up.

Tipper Tom:

Dan Punchard:

At least two a month and it’s all the same. Not a scooby amongst them. What’s the sense in doubling grands on a unit ( or 2 in this case) unless you’re guaranteed work for it.

I didn’t notice Daniel ( the only user I’ve seen go O/D since I’ve been on yer) come on with [zb] stupid [zb] questions.

If you need to be asking how to boil and egg, you ought to be no where near eggs. Same applies with O/D haulage IMO

At one point in my life I’d never boiled an egg, I had to ask the basic questions about how to do it. I also didn’t know what requirements were needed to get an HGV licence, I had to find out, I asked somebody.

The journey to being an O/D (or any other ambition) starts somewhere and probably with the question How do I become one? For most once the reality of the situation is explained they’ll decide not to go any further, but at least they asked.