Need ideas please.

Hello, I have a bit of a problem at the moment and I need a few ingenious ideas.
I have crows landing on my roof and picking all the mastik out from the sky lights, I’m sure its great fun for them but it’s making my rook leak. This is my roof;

So I need to keep the crows off, it has to survive very strong wind but be light so it doesn’t break the roof.

I did think of a bit of broken glass stuck around to keep them away from the mastik but then they would probably just stand on the skylight and pick it.
I also thought about getting some electric fencing wire and electrifying the roof but this might be a bit extreme. Does anyone know if it would it work with bird landing on it or would they have to be touching the ground? The trailer itself is mostly foam and plastic

Does anyone have any ideas?
(I can’t kill the birds because I would feel guilty about it)

Cheers guys.

I’ve no personal experience of this but there’s a discussion here that may be of interest to you.

Wow, thanks I’ll try the Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate mixed up with the mastik :smiley:

Hi 10-08,
One method worth trying is to visit a Garden Centre.
Buy a couple of large plastic owls ,- the ones used as outdoor garden ornaments.
Drill out the eyes , and insert glass marbles, to replicate shiny eyes.
Fix the owls to brackets , to make them appear as if perched looking for prey.
Position the owls so as any daylight and rooftop lights reflect in the marble eyes.
This should keep the crows away .

Failing that ,…buy a gun!

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

I think that you could use fishing line stretched between the uprights ,trip them up that would teach them.Many years ago I used building foam as a temp. repair and the birds pecked away at it.

cattle wagon man:
Hi 10-08,
One method worth trying is to visit a Garden Centre.

Another method is to move…

Try rigging up some old CD’s on some string between two points on the roof if possible.
Otherwise some tin foil that will flap and glint if you can fix it to move about.

there is a product out there that is designed for this kind of thing.
dont have the foggiest as to what it is called but it is a plastic/metal strip with prongs sticking out. it is widely used to prevent birds landing/nesting on ledges/window sills and under a lot of bridges

Dave the Renegade:
Try rigging up some old CD’s on some string between two points on the roof if possible.
Otherwise some tin foil that will flap and glint if you can fix it to move about.

This will also help you avoid being clocked by speed cameras :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gardun:

Dave the Renegade:

This will also help you avoid being clocked by speed cameras :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: I wouldn’t dare take my Jalopi that fast. :laughing:

Thanks for the input guys, I’m trying the chemical in the mastik and a Hawke on a stick, wish me luck :smiley:

Some decent gun stores sell the decoys…owls hawks etc , good luck. :confused:

when you re-do the mastic, buy a few of these from screwfix (or other hardware stores) and ‘glue’ them to the mastic

Try killing a few with an air rifle and leaving the dead birds on the roof.its what I do on the farm with the jack daws in the cattle sheds works with crows too its in-expensive and after a while they will learn just not to bother.

I like the stretched fishing line idea best . . . . . . Ingenious :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Many thanks for your post Merry Christmas,some members on here tell me that I am a ZB numpty.