Need help with one of my drivers

Not too long back, I took on a mate who was an experienced driver for large firm. I’d not worked with him before, but thought as he worked for a well known company, he can’t be too bad. Things didn’t start too bad, although I was a but concerned that he didn’t want to take his turn to wash the trucks on a Saturday, and no matter how much I tried to explain to him that the company must present a good image and by taking it in turn, everyone had most of their Saturday’s off. I gave up in the end, and just cut him some slack as he was a mate, although the word mate is starting to become a bit strained. Looking back though, I should have seen the warning signs! :unamused: Since then it’s been one problem after another, if it’s not his moaning, it’s late collections/deliveries, turning up at the wrong depots, constant calls for directions to places he’s already been, lost loads as he forgot to shut the doors, damaged loads as he hasn’t secured them properly, and don’t even get me started on the damage he’s caused. Basically I’m pulling my bloody hair out with him…

But the latest episode just beggars belief, as all I did was ask him to carry a fire extinguisher in his cab, for his safety and as a requirement for our insurance. He just went nuts though, you’d have thought I’d just impregnated his daughter. I just can’t understand what the big deal is with this request, and feeling now that I’ve made a huge mistake… However, what can I do about him? I can’t sack him as he’s sort of a mate, but at the same time the contract I’ve got is turning to crap with his mistakes and just isn’t profitable with him on-board.

Any suggestion would be appreciated, and I mean ANY SUGGESTIONS! :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: :smiling_imp:

Ooog You’re awful. But I like you.

Excellent.

Evil8Beezle:
Not too long back, I took on a mate who was an experienced driver for large firm. I’d not worked with him before, but thought as he worked for a well known company, he can’t be too bad. Things didn’t start too bad, although I was a but concerned that he didn’t want to take his turn to wash the trucks on a Saturday, and no matter how much I tried to explain to him that the company must present a good image and by taking it in turn, everyone had most of their Saturday’s off. I gave up in the end, and just cut him some slack as he was a mate, although the word mate is starting to become a bit strained. Looking back though, I should have seen the warning signs! :unamused: Since then it’s been one problem after another, if it’s not his moaning, it’s late collections/deliveries, turning up at the wrong depots, constant calls for directions to places he’s already been, lost loads as he forgot to shut the doors, damaged loads as he hasn’t secured them properly, and don’t even get me started on the damage he’s caused. Basically I’m pulling my bloody hair out with him…

But the latest episode just beggars belief, as all I did was ask him to carry a fire extinguisher in his cab, for his safety and as a requirement for our insurance. He just went nuts though, you’d have thought I’d just impregnated his daughter. I just can’t understand what the big deal is with this request, and feeling now that I’ve made a huge mistake… However, what can I do about him? I can’t sack him as he’s sort of a mate, but at the same time the contract I’ve got is turning to crap with his mistakes and just isn’t profitable with him on-board.

Do it by the book. Written warning explaining why, then if it continues you have established the base line for disciplinary action. What you gave to ask yourself, do you need this “sort of a mate” more than the contract that keeps your business going?

I know it will be hard, but at the end of the day you are his boss first and mate second. If it was me, he would have been gone already. By th sounds of it, after you give him a written warning, it won’t take long for him to do something else so you can get rid of him.

Just tell him you’ve been bought out by Stobarts, he’ll be out the door so fast you’ll think he’ll need that fire extinguisher as his arse may be on fire…

madmackem:

Evil8Beezle:

Do it by the book. Written warning explaining why, then if it continues you have established the base line for disciplinary action. What you gave to ask yourself, do you need this “sort of a mate” more than the contract that keeps your business going?

I know it will be hard, but at the end of the day you are his boss first and mate second. If it was me, he would have been gone already. By th sounds of it, after you give him a written warning, it won’t take long for him to do something else so you can get rid of him.

Wooosh :laughing:

Give him 6 cans of cider as a thank you present. He’ll down them in 15 minutes, go off on a wobbler and hopefully arrested. The courts will see sense and section him.

Just give them a hug :laughing: :laughing:

Can you not tupe him out? There must be a company you work for that don’t make money, desperate for a tin pot driver

Your rotten :laughing: :laughing: does his name begin with D ?

Reef:
Just tell him you’ve been bought out by Stobarts, he’ll be out the door so fast you’ll think he’ll need that fire extinguisher as his arse may be on fire…

^^^^ best response by far!

You’re all terrible though… :laughing:

Stobards*

blue estate:
Your rotten :laughing: :laughing: does his name begin with D ?

Yes its ■■■■■■■

I think you’re being harsh on him…

He’s a mate, you should be giving him the benefit of the doubt despite him being, incompetent, forgetful, fussy, stupid, short-sighted, ungrateful and moaning all the time.

I mean everyone has one or two small imperfections…right?

British informal: sluggish and not alert; stupid.

He sounds like one of our ‘Chimps’ who just walked, he’s done so much damage, upset car drivers (he was on a final written warning for that one) ran into a mini on the motorway up near Knutsford- smashing the front of his Tractor up, costing 2k, then 6 weeks later, smashed the front of the same wagon up again whilst turning into a Lay by, costing 2k AGAIN [emoji22], burst 2 Double Deka tyres in one go, reversed into a 6 month old Tractor Unit, the list goes on & on.

Said Chimp started moaning about our hourly rate the other day, stating that we should be on £2 an hour more, then promptly ‘Shot’ a load of 26 pallets (unstrapped) of food products on one of our famous MK Roundabouts, but carried on into London with it bulging like a Barrage Balloon, only for the load to be rejected.

On Thursday morning he came in & refused to take a Rigid out, stating that he was an ‘Artic’ Driver, (personally, I wouldn’t give him the controls to a Thomas the Tank Engine Train Set [emoji205][emoji577]) so had to wait for Management to come in, who advised him that he would probably be dismissed in the upcoming Disciplinary, so he walked [emoji1321].

Good Riddance Chimp, perhaps we might have a chance of a wage rise now, once they finished paying for all the damage you’ve incurred !

Quality, you are a naughty boy Evil, too much time on your hands whilst pumping off?

yourhavingalarf:
I think you’re being harsh on him…

He’s a mate, you should be giving him the benefit of the doubt despite him being, incompetent, forgetful, fussy, stupid, short-sighted, ungrateful and moaning all the time.

I mean everyone has one or two small imperfections…right?
He’s like a unpaved road

British informal: sluggish and not alert; stupid.

martinviking:
He sounds like one of our ‘Chimps’ who just walked, he’s done so much damage, upset car drivers (he was on a final written warning for that one) ran into a mini on the motorway up near Knutsford- smashing the front of his Tractor up, costing 2k, then 6 weeks later, smashed the front of the same wagon up again whilst turning into a Lay by, costing 2k AGAIN [emoji22], burst 2 Double Deka tyres in one go, reversed into a 6 month old Tractor Unit, the list goes on & on.

Said Chimp started moaning about our hourly rate the other day, stating that we should be on £2 an hour more, then promptly ‘Shot’ a load of 26 pallets (unstrapped) of food products on one of our famous MK Roundabouts, but carried on into London with it bulging like a Barrage Balloon, only for the load to be rejected.

On Thursday morning he came in & refused to take a Rigid out, stating that he was an ‘Artic’ Driver, (personally, I wouldn’t give him the controls to a Thomas the Tank Engine Train Set [emoji205][emoji577]) so had to wait for Management to come in, who advised him that he would probably be dismissed in the upcoming Disciplinary, so he walked [emoji1321].

Good Riddance Chimp, perhaps we might have a chance of a wage rise now, once they finished paying for all the damage you’ve incurred !

How ‘Dozy’ of me (just noticed another thread) still, my observations go to prove that there’s usually at least one in every company [emoji6]

Murder him. By accident of course.

Sell him as a ■■■ slave on the black market.

Chloroform him then eat him.

Tie him up and tickle him until he learns his lesson.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Wooosh :laughing:
[/quote]
+1 straight over the top…unbelievable that someone would take that as serious,but there you go…though to be fair,if it was serious,then id buy a pair of handcuffs for him…clamp them between his clakkerbags and the steering wheel,after inserting him into the cab with a fire extinguisher. show him the hacksaw you have left on the dash…if he askes ,are you going to saw my nads off,your reply is,no,you are,cos were just setting fire to the truck now unless you decide to lift the extinguisher… :smiling_imp: