Need help setting up tomtom trucker sat nav

So I’ll be going off by myself on Wednesday and i need a little help making sure i have the right weights inputted in my tomtom.

Here’s a youtube link so you know what it’s asking me to input (the link will take you to the correct time in the video)

youtu.be/n3WQezt120Q?t=15m28s

So the L/W/H was easy to find and so was the gross weight but…

what do i put as my axle weight? (photo below as example) do i put axle 1 weight or put axle 2 weight?

i194.photobucket.com/albums/z306 … /Plate.jpg

Thanks for helping a newbie out

Use whichever is the highest axle weight given for your particular vehicle. Normally 2nd axle on a two axle rigid.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

If you’re only using it in the UK then it shouldn’t make any difference to what, if anything, is entered there, since there aren’t weight restrictions based on axle weights in this country.

Glen A9:
If you’re only using it in the UK then it shouldn’t make any difference to what, if anything, is entered there, since there aren’t weight restrictions based on axle weights in this country.

What about restrictions on bridges based on axle weights?

F-reds:

We’re don’t have them in the UK, they haven’t been used here for over twenty years.

All weight restrictions are on gross weights only.

Glen A9:

F-reds:

We’re don’t have them in the UK, they haven’t been used here for over thirty years.

I don’t have access to street view right now, but I’m sure there are axle based limits on the bridges on Colney Heath Lane or Smallford Lane or both here in St Albans. Also hasn’t the QEII bridge got some obscure axle limit on it meaning you can’t take an 11.5t drive axle over it?

F-reds:

Glen A9:

F-reds:

We’re don’t have them in the UK, they haven’t been used here for over thirty years.

I don’t have access to street view right now, but I’m sure there are axle based limits on the bridges on Colney Heath Lane or Smallford Lane or both here in St Albans. Also hasn’t the QEII bridge got some obscure axle limit on it meaning you can’t take an 11.5t drive axle over it?

Smallford Lane (imagery from 2012):

There are plenty of outdated signs on the road network that haven’t been replaced. I’m sure you can find some with “cwt” but that doesn’t mean you need to be able to convert the kg figure on the vehicle plate into hundredweight.

The axle weight signs were in the 1981 regulations, but had been removed by the 1994 version.

Glen A9:
There are plenty of outdated signs on the road network that haven’t been replaced. I’m sure you can find some with “cwt” but that doesn’t mean you need to be able to convert the kg figure on the vehicle plate into hundredweight.

The axle weight signs were in the 1981 regulations, but had been removed by the 1994 version.

Thanks Roymondo for finding the picture.

That’s interesting - please understand I’m not trying to catch you out Glen, I’m just trying to get a better understanding. Does this mean that since the sign hasn’t been replaced by a MGW or MAM sign, they can be ignored?

I’ve had a mooch about and can see the signs are now defunct, but that seems to mean that they not be erected(as a new sign) anymore by authorities, not that the restrictions no longer apply at old signage??

If you cause the bridge to collapse you’re probably going to end up in trouble one way or another.

In cases like this it’s probably the case the the original traffic regulation order for the specific restriction is still in place, since usually they would apply indefinitely until they are revoked.
If the police were to prosecute for simply contravening the restriction then you’d probably have a reasonable defence of not being expected to know what signs no longer in use mean, especially someone who had passed their driving test since the signs ceased to be used, as they would have never had cause to read a version of the Highway Code with it in.
And more so in the case of signs with weights in hundredweight which many people won’t know what they are, let alone how to convert to or from kg.

But if you actually damaged something the police could be considering a general driving offence.

Thanks Glen, I think that clears it up fairly well!