Need Advise Please

Hi guys i passed my C+E about a month ago and ive been given the chance of a job at Acado but got to do an assesment, Ive been out with an instructor says my drive is great and my reverse is ok but he told me that the assesment reverse is like an L shape possible between two trailers or between two lines and to be honest im ok when bringing it at an angle but never tried doing it like an L shape any advise would be grateful.

Cheers

Daz

Go back to your Driving School for an hour or two’s maneuvering practice.Reversing is obviously a big part of driving but it would also be useful learning to control a vehicle in a very confined place,it’s all very well at the test centre where you have loads of space to move but it’s not always like that in the real world.It may also boost your confidence if you are shown how to reverse safely on busy roads where there are other vehicles and pedestrians.What’s the hourly rate,about £35, must be worth it.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Darren W :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

:smiley: :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

have a read it’s an American site but the princables are the same

Scroll down to page 44 of 69

crengland.com/pdf/training_m … riving.pdf

Thanks Guys, and god its hard finding a bloody Job!

Cheers

Daz

Thanks Nick for that Link, that realy helps its just trying to get it in my head Ihad ago yesterday at this so called L shape Reversing between 2 Trucks… I went way to deep so how do you prevent this and knowing were your backend is going to end up… I screwed it up everytime!!!

I`ll never pass an assesment if i cant get this reverse!

Cheers

Daz

Your not alone Daz, this is an interesting one that’s frustrating me as well. I’ve just done my first few days class 1 work and I’m struggling with reversing.

In the test environment, you work with set paramters and markers to help you through the excercise but when you’re in a yard trying to reverse onto a bay with an audience, it all goes out the window. It took me three attempts to park a trailer today which is very frustrating.

I’m being told that it’ll all click with time, practice and experience but would like to think there’s some advice to help things along :question: :question: :question: Or is it just a case of being patient and persevering :confused:
Any pointers would be appreciated.

MAT:
Your not alone Daz, this is an interesting one that’s frustrating me as well. I’ve just done my first few days class 1 work and I’m struggling with reversing.

It’ll come with time, usually in 4/5 weeks :wink:
A good bit of advice I was given (by Lee G of this forum) is steer towards what you want to avoid, and I’ll add and take your time reversing too…
When I started (admittedly 5 monthes ago) I was rushing the reversing and over compensating the steering and getting into a right two and eight over it…
Belive me, after a while you wont even think about it - until you drive a rigid and wonder why you’re not reversing in the direction you wanted :blush:

I cocked up massivley yesterday, dont worry about it :smiley:

For the last 6 months i’ve been using rear steer trailers only,then yesterday i had a ‘normal’ trailer, do you think i could get it where i wanted? Could i ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

As said, just take your time :slight_smile:

Thansk again for all the replys

Cheers

Daz

MAT:

In the test environment, you work with set paramters and markers to help you through the excercise but when you’re in a yard trying to reverse onto a bay with an audience, it all goes out the window. It took me three attempts to park a trailer today which is very frustrating.

I’m being told that it’ll all click with time, practice and experience but would like to think there’s some advice to help things along :question: :question: :question: Or is it just a case of being patient and persevering :confused:
Any pointers would be appreciated.

" It took me three attempts to park a trailer today which is very frustrating " nothing wrong with that mate,I’ve been driving for years and regularly take 2-3 shunts to get it on the dock/bay,ignore ANY audience,we’ve all " been there " before.
Patience and perseverence are certainly required,I was taught ( by my Dad ) to find the right approach ( give yourself plenty of room for manoveure ) and go dead slow.
You’re doing very well.

Carry on… :wink:

Darren W:
Thanks Guys, and god its hard finding a bloody Job!

Cheers

Daz

Congrats mate,I had a bit of work with an agency called Northstar in Hemel a few months back,might be worth giving them a call.
Also,ADR in St Albans used to take on newly passed on their NFT contract in London Colney.
Again,might be worth giving them a call.
Good luck. :wink:

Look for any sort of ‘guide’ lines you can. Usually in a yard there are joins in the concrete or tarmac, look to see where they lead in conjunction to where you need to be, and use them. Also, never be afraid to get out to look - as many times as you feel you need to, or as someone to watch you.

No employer will thank you for for not checking, but you are sure to get at least a bollocking for damaging a trailer!

I always try to make sure I can see down both sides of my trailer when near to other vehicles, even if that means taking several small shunts. If you try to guess whereabouts the back of your trailer is, it won’t be where you think!

Good advice guys, thanks.

I read the link posted by Nick 2008 and the bit about positioning before reversing stuck in my head. Anyway, been out today on a shunt and practised reversing in a lorry park. Got back to the yard and was asked to stick the trailer on a bay. Luckily there was plenty of room to position myself and managed to get it on first time, nice and steady so quite chuffed :smiley:

Try again tomorrow.

Once again thanks guys… and I`ll give those places a call after christmas, you never know it might end up being a good ner year after all

Cheers

Daz

Congratulations on passing your C+E.

I have just passed my test in 3-months ago. I have alse been for an assessment and I was told that my revesing was acceptable, although I was told to go away and practice and get more confident.

I have been allowed the use of a Truck on a weekend in a Haulage Yard. My erevsing has improved and I went back for the job and they have given me a start.

If you cannot access a truck, then go back to your C+E training company and ask them to assist you with reversing between two trailers.

Keep trying, as they say everyone has started at the beginning.

Good Luck.

To be fair any assessor carrying out an assessment between other expensive equipment is a fool, by all means get someone to reverse onto a bay and round some posts but risking damaging 3 vehicles, just to see if someone is OK when put under pressure driving a strange truck with a passenger.

Take it slow, do not oversteer as mentioned try to follow old tyre marks, concrete joints or even damaged panels on a shed. Clean your mirrors and do not guess!!!

Honestly any driver worth his salt will relish the chance to assist a new driver if you are polite and ask them, explaining you are worried as you are new to the job. You may have to listen to tales of the Hereford days or the Middle East afterwards but you may learn something :stuck_out_tongue:

The only assessments I have ever done have been a trip to Burscough to collect a new trailer and reverse on the bay at DHL EMA which I did blindside because of the one way system in operation.

Wheel Nut:
The only assessments I have ever done have been a trip to Burscough to collect a new trailer and reverse on the bay at DHL EMA which I did blindside because of the one way system in operation.

to be fair a lot of places now have you blinding it in, the easiest way to do it is try to spin it round and go in on your good side, even if it is a one way system. most places will understand, and if it is on an assessment ask before doing so if youre allowed to and if there is enough room take it wide (not many companies like thier tyres being scrubbed).

if any of the H&S hitlers have a go ask them if its safer to go in where you cant see a great deal or safer to drive maybe 50 yards the worng way and have a perfect view out the window of where your arse end is.

also if you do have to blind it in try to pan your NS mirror so you can see the back of the trailer if you can, instead of relying just on the wide angle mirrors, you will see a hell of a lot more in the big mirror.

Wheel Nut:
To be fair any assessor carrying out an assessment between other expensive equipment is a fool, by all means get someone to reverse onto a bay and round some posts but risking damaging 3 vehicles, just to see if someone is OK when put under pressure driving a strange truck with a passenger.

If the assessor is any good then that is not a problem as STOP can always be said :slight_smile: