Need advice please ? Thinking of booking

Aup everyone I’m mat 22 and new to the forum I know there’s alot of wise heads on here so thought I’d ask your advice.

I’m work in a dead end job an looking to get into hgv driving it’s something iv always looked at doing. I’m thinking of booking on a course then trying my best to get some experience under my belt on the agencies. Does anybody know any good driving schools in the Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire area) with reasonable prices ?

Aswell what’s it like finding work as a newbie especially with my age only being 22 ? Is there much work in my area ATM ? I would be willing to travel to most places in the midlands for work ie Manchester, Birmmingham to get my foot in the door. Any advice will be much appreciated, cheers !

For driving schools recommended by members of this site try checking out the LGV TRAINING TIPS sticky

For the reality of being a newbie with a LGV licence looking for work I recommend reading recent posts in this forum on the issue

Once you pass, there is a large Pets at Home depot near the football stadium at Stoke, Downtons run the transport, and deliver to shops all over the Uk in double decker trailers, i am not sure who the agency is there.

Bassets near Stone on the A34 are very good and have their own test centre.

As for work, there is a degree of negativity about. There is also a good deal of positivity on the matter. Had an email from someone today who passed their test with me in April and now has a full time class one artic job. And this is becoming more normal. Another example is a local employer to me who will take the next 30 class one passes between now and September.

But there are the doom-mongers who still believe there is no opportunity for new drivers.

Good luck with your training and test, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

As for work, there is a degree of negativity about. There is also a good deal of positivity on the matter. Had an email from someone today who passed their test with me in April and now has a full time class one artic job. And this is becoming more normal. Another example is a local employer to me who will take the next 30 class one passes between now and September.

But there are the doom-mongers who still believe there is no opportunity for new drivers.

LGV training company in there’s-loads-of-jobs shocker. :bulb: :open_mouth: Who’da thunk it.

The reality is that many newbies who passed 12 months ago still haven’t been able to source any work (several threads on here about it if you search) so I would advise taking Pete’s comments with a pinch of salt as he obviously has a vested interest in “bigging up” the market for his own gains.

As big a pinch of salt as you like! I’m not “bigging it up” - in fact I have recommended another trainer so I have nothing to gain.

Merely telling the truth as I know it to be.

And if that doesnt’ tie in with your pesimistic outlook, hard luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Peter Smythe:

LGV training company in there’s-loads-of-jobs shocker. :bulb: :open_mouth: Who’da thunk it.

The reality is that many newbies who passed 12 months ago still haven’t been able to source any work (several threads on here about it if you search) so I would advise taking Pete’s comments with a pinch of salt as he obviously has a vested interest in “bigging up” the market for his own gains.

The person Peter is referring to passing their Class 1 in April with him is me and since passing my test i’ve had no end of offers. I had an interview on Thursday followed by a driving assessment and was offered the job, on Friday another driving assessment with a very large company and was offered that job as well work is available if you look for it.

Be prepared for knock-backs, but don’t go walking in like you already have. If you can go in person, then do it, it makes a good impression.

There might be doom-mongers, but even though young, we still do find employment in the end.

<<< 19 and in a 6 month contract, without even going anywhere near an agency.

I would like to say I have met Peter Smythe on a few occasions and found him to be a decent, honest person a man of integrity and I honestly believe he would not deceive people for financial gain, in my opinion and I stress it’s my opinion all he is trying to do is help people to achieve there ambition of becoming professional drivers.

No point phoning or emailing prospective employers as they have no time to deal with you and file your application among 1000 others.

Despite happy Robs prophesies of doom there are jobs out there. Stobarts in Aveley are currently looking for international drivers and will employ 1st time guys.

Is there another industry you can qualify for in around 4 months and be working full time shortly afterwards?

Like Peter I have nothing to gain from the OP. Just telling it like it is.

It’s not easy to do but it is possible to get a job at your age without agencies I’m only 20 and finish my dead end job next week to start my driving job. Took a while to find it and a few knock backs but if its something you want to do and you keep at it you’ll get there in the end.

Only just found out you guys had replied didn’t recieve any noticifations :s just checked an cheers wer body for your inputs think I am going to book up an get it done, despite people saying a few negative things about work, I suppose of I want it badly enough il find the work won’t I. Cheers again for all the info and your inputs

Peter Smythe:

Cheers for that pete il check Bassets out get an idea of some price etc nice one for the info !

mat.t22:
Aup everyone I’m mat 22 and new to the forum I know there’s alot of wise heads on here so thought I’d ask your advice.

I’m work in a dead end job an looking to get into hgv driving it’s something iv always looked at doing. I’m thinking of booking on a course then trying my best to get some experience under my belt on the agencies. Does anybody know any good driving schools in the Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire area) with reasonable prices ?

Aswell what’s it like finding work as a newbie especially with my age only being 22 ? Is there much work in my area ATM ? I would be willing to travel to most places in the midlands for work ie Manchester, Birmmingham to get my foot in the door. Any advice will be much appreciated, cheers !

Hi Mat,

I have just passed my test yesterday (c+e) with SID in Longport. Adam Bunting is the owner and is a good bloke. I got a 4 day course for £850 which included the test and Brian the instructor was patient, knowledgable (as you would expect) and likeable.

Give Adam a call and let him take you through the options. They do an assessment too so you will get an idea of what you require.

Good luck

Steve

Here is the number and website for SID

01782 263388

skillsid.co.uk/index.asp

Again, good luck.

Steve