Need advice about tacho mistake

Need some advice about mistake I have made with tacho today. Took a hired wagon from Hull to Newcastle then brought another back to Hull.

Took hired wagon from Hull to Newcastle (approx 2.5 hrs driving), took card out. Did some paperwork for new wagon then put card in new wagon. Realised it had taken 25 mins. so thought I’ll sit in new wagon for 20 mins to complete a break, so I don’t have to stop later.
So I set off thinking I’d had 45 mins break but when I got back to Hull (2.5 hrs drive) realised I had only 25 mins break not 45 mins. as I had left it on “Other Work” instead of Break for the last 20 mins :open_mouth:

If I get stopped VOSA can see that I have actually not driven for 45 mins while changing wagons, but will they do me or be understanding.?
Is there anywhere I can note the mistake in case I get stopped?
Thanks for any help :wink:

Well you haven’t really taken a break have you? To a cynical lorry driver or VOSA lady or gentleman it looks like you have driven for 2.5 hours, taken your card out and then driven another lorry back for 2.5 hours. So the 25 minutes doing paperwork followed by another 20 minutes other work doesn’t look good.

So what can you do? take a printout for today and write an explanation on the back using the graph, sign it and hope for the best.

And be careful in future :stuck_out_tongue:

I see what you mean WheelNut. When you put it like that it looks as though I haven’t had a break at all (even though I did).
Oh well I’ll just put the details on back of printout, write a note of what went on just in case and just hope for the best. Ho Hum, Ho Hum :unamused:

Cheers

keano1:
I see what you mean WheelNut. When you put it like that it looks as though I haven’t had a break at all (even though I did).

But you didn’t. You took less than 45 minutes because for part of the time you were doing paperwork. f you claim both the 25 minutes when the card was out and 20 minutes when it was on Other Work as break by writing an explanation on the back of the printout that will raise another problem. Where is the time spent for doing the vehicle checks on the second vehicle? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rock and a hard place.