Need a job - South Wales, Cardiff - LGV C+E as of 23/08/05

Hello folks,

I came across Truck Net UK only a couple of days ago, just before my test which was ably conducted by the the inimitable Brian Pike at the Llantrisant Test Centre on Tuesday, 23rd of August at 10:30. Fortunately I passed first time and for that I am very grateful, it was a nerve-wracking experience that I certainly wouldn’t want to go through again.

Which brings me to the reason I’m here now; I’m looking for and in need of paid employment at the earliest opportunity. If anyone cares to point me in the right direction I’ll be eternally grateful. I’m looking for, ideally, a small company handling general haulage with plenty of variety. Hopefully, a company that pays a decent wage too and not the bottom-line rates that seem to be so prevalent in this area.

I go under the handle of Lemram, my mates previously called me Noddy but those days are long gone and Lemram it is now. So if anyone knows of an opening in the Cardiff area for a newly qualified, mature driver with a spotlessly clean licence then I would be seriously interesed.

I’m just off to pick the wife up from work now but I’ll look in again later and see if anything has come of this.

All the best to everyone out there and good luck with your own problems.

First off, welcome to TN.

Secondly, Cardiff isn’t an area I’m familiar with so I will have to leave it to the more knowledgeable to suggest companies in your neck of the woods. Only one I can think of to approach is Owens.

Whilst the “you must be over 25 for insurance purposes” line won’t be an issue for you, the “you must have 2 years experience” will be, and for that reason I think you will be lucky to walk straight into a job that meets your criteria above.

The majority of us have had to start at the bottom and claw our way up, driving old battered FL10’s and work 70hrs per week for £6/hr etc. Not what you want to hear I’m sure, but that’s pretty much the bottom line.

Best advice I could give is take the first class 1 job you get offered and grit your teeth for 3-6 months while you gain that valuable experience which will then allow you to move up the ladder to (slightly) better things…

:slight_smile:

Hello Rob K,

I appreciate your advice and certainly take it on board. I do realise that this will most likely be the way it’s going to be but I was hoping to strike it lucky this time, landing on my feet from the word go.

I’ve started to phone round the hauliers, the usual household names in the area, only to come up against the 2, 2+ years barrier because of insurance problems. An agency in Cardiff City centre was a little bit more hopeful but the word ‘refuse’ surfaced and I’ve seen this word crop up on the forum time and time again. So I’ve set my minimum hourly rate at £7.50 and I’ll see what comes of that. To get my licence it has cost somewhere in the region of £5,000+ over the last three months - the loss of earnings whilst training, the training costs, tests, retests, books, a medical, an eye test, a good map or two, safety boots, overalls, a high visibility jacket and waistcoat plus decent gloves, an ADR course and HIAB training plus all the running round and the upheaval in daily life. So having invested a substantial amount of money in myself I’m not going to give in too easily just yet. I haven’t mentioned the stress involved or the names that the instructors have called me along the way - but when the examiner climbed in the cab yesterday I thought I’d gone deaf, it was that quiet; and he called me by my real name too and that was a novelty, a real novelty.

Now, if a decent employer comes along and puts his cards on the table, explains the situation clearly and gives me some hope for the future then maybe I’ll bend a little but until then . . .

I have a small ray of hope from a tidy outfit working out of Barry Docks, they’re willing to give me a trial of sorts and maybe, just maybe, something will come of that. There seems to be plenty of work in this area as the Jobcentre vacancies for Class 1 and 2 appear to be well in excess of 100, unfortunately a lot of the rates are really low and in some cases you’d be better of working as a checkout operator in your local superstore. The industry, as a whole, is supposed to be running with a shortfall of some 100,000 drivers, now surely that would bump the rates up a little or at least make the newbie look that little bit more attractive. From what I can see though it has only opened up another set of floodgates whereby immmigrant workers come along to fill these roles and would seem to be looked after handsomely by some employers - I cite Tesco as an example.

My previous employment was destined for Bangalore and I got out quickly to do what I should have done a long time ago. It’s not easy to rebadge yourself late in life, especially when you’ve past the 50 mark but I’m determined to make a go of it and get some enjoyment out of my work for a change, hopefully right through to retirement age.

So thanks for the advice Rob K, it is appreciated. If there’s anyone else close to home that is more familiar with the South Wales area, particularly South East Wales then maybe you’d like to come on board and give a helping hand here.

Keep 'em coming.

Good luck with the job hunting, I think you’re right looking at small hauliers for work, but I’m not sure about the average hourly rate, the jobcentre is not always the best place to find the best jobs.

Hi Lemram, and welcome to trucknet.

Like yourself, I have been a late starter at this game. I was in a so-called “proper” job for 19 years before being pensioned off on health grounds [nothing that affects LGV driving, I have told DVLA all about it !]. I am now in my mid 40’s.
After a few false starts at other jobs, I decided to do my class 2 and passed my test at the 3rd try last December.
I found it quite hard to get work because of the lack of experience, but did get some back breaking agency work doing multi-drop. After a couple of months I sent out my CV to 50 companies in my local-ish area and a few days later got a start with Saints transport at Glasgow airport. Money is not great, but as you have noticed, that is the general rule just now.
Driver shortage? I think not, just a shortage of people willing to work crazy hours, being constantly messed around by transport offices and being kept hanging around for ever by couldn’t care less warehousemen; and all for little more than mimimum wage.
I recently passed my class 1 and so am beginning to get itchy feet, but again the problem is lack of experience, and in any case the money is not a whole lot better than class 2. Saints have offered me a soon to be vacant position doing class 1 work [but also involves class 2 and 7.5 tonners] so will go for that to give me the all important experience.
Thought I would share my experience [or lack of it !] with you to give you an idea of what you might have to do. I hope you prove me wrong and find what you are looking for. Just don’t set your sights too high to start with or you might get a wee bit disillusioned. Remember how much money you have invested in this, you might have to just grin and bear it for the first year or two.

Al.

Lem, I don’t want to dash your hopes but I think you could be waiting a while for your £7.50/hr. I think that in that neck of the woods that’s about the best you’ll get on PAYE with the agencies, not the companies direct.

Sadly, it’s a familiar story of how folks have paid umpteen gee’s to get their licence then expect big things at the end of it. It just doesn’t work like that, trust me, I’ve been there, done it and seen and heard it happen to most others as well.

Don’t be disillusioned into believing the media hype about the industry being short of driver’s, it’s all lies. The problem with the industry is that - like Al says above - driver’s are fed up of working 80hrs per week for peanuts and are hanging up their keys for good, or at least until it improves significantly. If everyone was happy to work for £6/hr the alleged driver shortage would magically disappear overnight. You read between the lines …

:confused:

as rob says your best bet is to get in with one of the agencys in your area. ask around there are a few on here from the area.

have you try’d jon raymonds at newport or blakemores at pontypridd . get yourself out in the local area and knock on a few doors

best of luck

jon

welcome to trucknet lemram

when I passed my class 2 last december, I took thr route you are taking by contacting all the small firms in my area. I got a start at, wait for it, £5.25 per hour on tippers. We got a pay rise in april to take us to £5.65 per hour. The kit was all old and hanging as well, but I got some valuable experience out of it.

I then passed my class 1 and was offered holiday relief on their artics. Yeah, spent a grand to drive artics maybe 8 weeks a year. I did a week on them, more experience.

I’m now quite settled on agency work, still doing mostly class 2 work but it is early days yet (although I did a class 1 job last friday)

It is all about getting experience, in 1 week I drove a slurry tanker, grocery deliverys (cages) and a curtain sider. This week I’m on plant deliverys with a sliding back flatbed. My agency are even putting me through my IPAF ticket for powered access plant (scissor lifts and cherry pickers)

You do have to be flexible about pay at the beginning, and the type of work you do. I won’t turn anything down till I’ve tried it. In the long run it will work out.

Liberace is a good example. By being flexable on jobs and wages for a few years on agency, he now has a good job with his own brand new lorry on good pay. He has done his apprenaceship, and is now reaping the rewards.

I hope this will help even if it is not what you are hoping to hear.

As for your area, I can only think of Owens. It might be worth asking Owens girl. She’s on here quite regularly and might know of any others.

Stuart

hI lenram, and welcome totrucknet uk, yes as every one sofar has posted it will not be easy and it will be hard BUT do not let this get to you,get out and talk direct,to various firms, i am with you when you say that you do not mislead your potential employer,the agenceys are a good way of learning,as you change what type of work you do and so get good on hands learning,
What about a job where you are just shifting the wagons around in the yard-factory,for a while this is a good way of starting off,

AND the age factor well mate lots ot firms like the mature person,

Welcome to TN m8 Hope u get sorted real soon,but as the rest have said don’t build your hope’s up to much. :wink:

as you have hiab licence try the builders merchants
pay will be dire but it will be an income

Thanks folks, thanks to all of you,

There’s a lot of good information coming my way and it’s all being taken on board - special thanks to Paragon for that contact number, I’ll give it a try today.

I appreciate what everyone is saying but it seems a funny way to run an industry, ‘here’s the key sonny, off you go now’! I just hope that my first employer has a little bit more interest in his employees than this and has equal consideration for his customers and whatever transport he’s operating. This is a responsible job, it’s never been an easy job and there’s always been plenty of hassle to live with.

Anyway, I don’t want to turn this into a gripe subject, let’s just keep it a little bit on the loose side and look to the future now because I’m looking for a job and I need every telphone number and contact that I can get my hands on. I’ve got a couple of new leads now and I will follow up on these today. I’ve been given the number of another agency to try and that’ll be first on my list. I’m also quite happy to do yard work for a while, it’ll be good experience for me.

For those of you who think I’m holding out a bit unreasonably on the hourly rate well maybe I’m prepared to compromise a little but certainly not to any great extent; I think that I’m entitled to a reasonable rate of pay and my anticipated hourly rate is not unreasonable.

So now it’s off to take the wife out shopping, Splott Market is first on the list. If I see a lorry from a local firm I’ll make a note of their number and give them a ring later, it just might work.

A positive start to the day so hopefully I’ll have progressed before the end of it.

Catch you all later to keep you up to date on this, please keep the contacts and telephone numbers coming.

You could try this: http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do
You can then search for transport operators in your area.

Al.

Welcome lemram!

Sorry, I’m S West wales, but I know Owens, NR Evans and TD Williams all have depots further East (I think!).

Hi Lemram and welcome to TruckNetUK.

If you are newly passed have you considered one of the suermarket depots? I recognise that this is not what you have set your hopes on but there are some advantages that could benefit you.

1 - They are likely to have driver training schemes that all new recruits will have to go through. Don’t forget that this is primarily for the benefit of the companies but as someone new to this industry there will be something for you as well.

2 - The delivery locations will usually come with directions and maps. This will let you concentrate on getting the experience on working with trucks and the general road users of Britain (it’s a very different perspectrive from the cab of a truck).

3 - You will probably be on a salary at or above your target of £7.50 an hour.

4 - the companies will almost certainly NOT run bent or ask you to do so.

The down side is that you will almost certainly have a diferent truck every day. Weekend working should be expected more often than not and you will be more a number than person. If you can handle the drawbacks the benefits could be an overall benefit.

As for companies both Tesco and Asda have RDC’s at Chepstow. Mr Mcfibble has driven for one if not both of these sites on agency having just passed his test so maybe he can offer some additional information.

Good luck in your search.

hiya lemram and welcome to trucknet m8

good luck with your searching :smiley:

hi lemram

if you are willing to travel to newport/risca tuffnells are screaming out for claSS 1 DRIVERS AT THE MOMENT. i only passed my class 1 2 months ago and i walked into tuffnells straight on class 1 with no experience at all.but i did walk out again mind after only 2 days work it was a killer well it was for me you can read my experience on tn. there number is 01633891010. the pay was £420
a week. all the best vigfan…

Hello all,

I’m back and I’m working as of Friday 05:00. Straight in with the big boys, Class 1 with 3 drops and back to base.

First time on the road with a load, no introduction, never slipped a disc in a tachometer before, never filled in a time sheet; hired within a couple of hours of walking through the door and not even given a decent start address - scary isn’t it. Checked out the start address personally tonight and it turned out to be somewhere else although not too far removed.

I’m going for it but it scares me silly.

I asked for experience and it looks as though I’m going to get it, straight in at the deep end and there’s nobody holding my hand.

Thanks for the help lads/ladies, I’ll let you know the outcome of tomorrow in due course. I’m doing a run for the major independent haulier, a hero to many.

I’ve seen what has been said of some agencies and now I can truly believe it.

Speak to you all on Friday regarding this - safe driving to you all and keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Fingers crossed for you lemram. I imagine you’ll be asleep at the mo’ if you’re starting at 5am, but I’ll wish you retrospective luck.

You seem to have your head screwed on your shoulders right and a positive attitude - go for what you want and I hope you get it.

Finally, welcome to Trucknet & well done on your pass.

Looking forward to hearing how the job goes.

Welcome to TN UK Lemram.

I hope your shift went OK. If you have time, maybe you can tell us all about it?

As regards the “Driver Shortage”, have you read this article, in TruckNet UKs own Insider magazine? :smiley: :smiley: