Necessity for manual entries on digital tacho?

I could use some advice please.
I start a new job on Monday and although I’ve used digital tachos before I’ve never needed to do a manual entry.

During my second week at this new job (7th August) I am doing a 7 hour DCPC module. Presumably I will need to do a manual entry for that day’s work. Obviously the preceding days of that week and the days after 7th August will show normally.
Would that be correct or is there another way to record this other day’s duties?
I’d better find out how to do a manual entry :smiley:

Sadly 2 weeks later 26, 27, 28 & 29 of August I’ll be doing another 4 modules. As the Monday is a bank holiday I’ll probably be taking the whole week “off” as far as the tacho is concerned.
What would I do on my return to work the next week? More manual entries?

I’m not even sure which tacho head it has yet but I know it’s a fairly late model MAN.

Many thanks.

If its a new 1.4 tacho the manual entries won’t take long if you know what you’re doing. The older versions will take a bit more time (especially if you make a mistake and start again)
You could do a manual entry on a paper chart and carry it round with you and hand it in after 28 days but learning the manual entry will benefit you in the long run. It also means you don’t have to carry any charts with you.
Why don’t you ask you CPC instructor to show the class how to do manual entries and part of your first 7 hours?

Good idea, the first one is the tacho & driving hours course :smiley:
Having used manual tachos for years it might be easier to do that for 5 days total but as you say I should learn about manual entries anyway.
Thanks.

Quackers:
Having used manual tachos for years it might be easier to do that for 5 days total but as you say I should learn about manual entries anyway.
Thanks.

A lot don’t bother,gives you a fallback ,if you’ve had 3 hrs waiting for truck,3am- 6am,just bung in card at 6 am and then you can work till 9 p.m( gets you home)
N.b if you do go over your actual hours 3am-6 pm ( by a hour 7 p.m ) ,bung the hour on a slack day so you don’t loose out doing a 16 hr day .
Check with t.o ,but they should be fine bunging it on a slack day as it gets the truck back,and if you run 24/7 they need them back.
N.n.b make sure all your time sheets,books,fuel receipts match your times on your tacho

Easier said than done my manual entries have got me so many infringements that I have given up. Can easily do the 15 minute entire for a previous day but beyond that I am fluxed

Quackers:
I start a new job on Monday and although I’ve used digital tachos before I’ve never needed to do a manual entry.

During my second week at this new job (7th August) I am doing a 7 hour DCPC module. Presumably I will need to do a manual entry for that day’s work. Obviously the preceding days of that week and the days after 7th August will show normally.
Would that be correct or is there another way to record this other day’s duties?

Sadly 2 weeks later 26, 27, 28 & 29 of August I’ll be doing another 4 modules. As the Monday is a bank holiday I’ll probably be taking the whole week “off” as far as the tacho is concerned.

I’m not even sure which tacho head it has yet but I know it’s a fairly late model MAN.

Many thanks.

unless your driving you presume wrong…

the whole point of doing the DCPC is to learn from the trainer… it would be easier to go through it with him … just ask he wont bite

Assuming the trainer actually knows how to do it themselves…
I do manuals when I’ve done DCPC courses. I’ve got a Siemens digitach but I doubt I’dve bothered with an early Stoneridge. Hated them.

Things might have changed since I retired,
Days we where “off the road” and only sat in the “class room” on a course for the day or week, there was no need to make any entries as it was not classed as actual work.

dozy:

Quackers:
Thanks.

A lot don’t bother,gives you a fallback ,if you’ve had 3 hrs waiting for truck,3am- 6am,just bung in card at 6 am and then you can work till 9 p.m( gets you home)
N.b if you do go over your actual hours 3am-6 pm ( by a hour 7 p.m ) ,bung the hour on a slack day so you don’t loose out doing a 16 hr day .
Check with t.o ,but they should be fine bunging it on a slack day as it gets the truck back,and if you run 24/7 they need them back.
N.n.b make sure all your time sheets,books,fuel receipts match your times on your tacho

Seriously!?!? Does this actually happen?

I have heard of people who have been disciplined for missing 30 min on a manual entry, think they’d be shot for 3 hours

Are you being paid or told to attend the dcpc course?

Quackers:

Assuming you’re doing the course as part of your new job (It sounds like you are) you can either do a manual entry into the tachograph or write it on a printout/chart.

If you do a manual entry into the tachograph don’t forget to record at-least 30 minutes break during the shift otherwise you’re likely to get an infringement for insufficient break during the shift.

If you’re paying for the course yourself and it’s nothing to do with your new employer you won’t need to record anything for the day, it’s your time to do as you like :wink:

Quackers:

Many thanks.

As you won’t be driving in that week you won’t need to record anything unless your company want you to for their records.

When you return to work, if you’re using a type 2 tachograph, record the whole period from the end of the last shift you used your card ( in other words the whole week) as “?”, that’s unaccounted time, do not book it as rest.

nick2008:

Quackers:

Many thanks.

unless your driving you presume wrong…

the whole point of doing the DCPC is to learn from the trainer… it would be easier to go through it with him … just ask he wont bite

No, he presumes right. That 7 hours has to be accounted for. It’s not rest, POA or driving so it must be other work.

None of the above! :sunglasses: put your card in on an easy night trunk, shower and change :smiley: get paid twice! :wink: it’s not hard! :grimacing: your digi/ licence, don’t give your time away for FREE! :grimacing:

Thanks for the suggestions people.
Some answers to questions raised.
All 5 DCPC courses were booked by me and paid for by me and have nothing to do with my new employers - other than allowing me to drive a truck after September 9th.
However, whether I’ll get paid for them I don’t know, but I doubt it.

Quackers:
Thanks for the suggestions people.
Some answers to questions raised.
All 5 DCPC courses were booked by me and paid for by me and have nothing to do with my new employers - other than allowing me to drive a truck after September 9th.
However, whether I’ll get paid for them I don’t know, but I doubt it.

If the courses are nothing to do with the company you don’t need to record anything, you’re doing them in your spare time and are not under the instruction of your employer.

That sounds good. I can prove that I booked all 5 courses before I even went for the interview, so that should be good enough.
I’ll still ask about manual entries and I’ll probably still do manual discs to be covered in all eventualities.
Thanks tachograph and all! :smiley:

Edited cos i got it wrong!