Nearside mirror broken, legal to drive?

Hi, Just a quick question.
I broke a nearside mirror today and continued my days work relying on the ‘blind spot’ convex mirror situated below the broken mirror. The blind spot mirror covers the same field of view as the main mirror (and more) but my boss tells me it is illegal to drive until the main mirror is replaced… is he right?
Regards

alphonsohall:
I broke a nearside mirror today and continued my days work relying on the ‘blind spot’ convex mirror situated below the broken mirror. The blind spot mirror covers the same field of view as the main mirror (and more) but my boss tells me it is illegal to drive until the main mirror is replaced… is he right?
Regards

Why are you bothered if your boss is good enough to not allow you to go out with it. I know a lot that would insist that you do.
I would be more concerned (in the latter scenario) whether the secondary mirror was suitable from a safety point of view before I bothered about the legality of it.

I asked a simple, straightforward question, please may I have a similar reply from knowledgeable folk rather than irrelevant comments?
Regards

I would agree with your boss definitely illegal to drive with a mirror missing, would be even worse for you if you had an accident and it came into the equation

steve4545:
I would agree with your boss definitely illegal to drive with a mirror missing, would be even worse for you if you had an accident and it came into the equation

Cheers, thanks for that… sounds about right I guess.

alphonsohall:
I asked a simple, straightforward question, please may I have a similar reply from knowledgeable folk rather than irrelevant comments?
Regards

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Calm down dear. :wink:

alphonsohall:
Regards

You ask for help yet after one reply this is your attitude?

Definition of Safety Critical
Safety Critical defects or systems are those
that could affect the control or directional
stability of the vehicle.
Throughout this guide, recommendations are
indicated by a letter in the action column, as
follows
“I” denotes an immediate prohibition

'Nuff Said

EDIT: I highlighted the wrong one, should have been the top one, which is also a “I”
Plus this note applies, not the one highlighted

HGV’s first used from 26 January 2008 exceeding 7.5 tonnes DGVW must have
an exterior mirror on each side, plus a wide angle mirror on the offside and
nearside, plus a close proximity mirror on the passenger side, plus a front mirror. If
either the front or close proximity mirrors cannot be fitted (with the lower edge of
the mirror) over 2 metres from the ground (due to low cab height), the vehicle is
exempt the requirement for both front and close proximity mirrors.

HGV’s registered after January 2000 exceeding 3.5 tonnes DGVW used from 31
March 2009 will require an exterior mirror on each side, plus a close proximity
mirror and a wide angle mirror on the passenger side. Vehicle within this group not
exceeding 7.5 tonnes DGVW where the close proximity mirror cannot be fitted
(with the lower edge of the mirror) over 2 metres from the ground are exempt the
requirement for both close proximity and wide angle mirrors.

I agree it would be illegal to take it out again, and I also agree with Robroy, you would seem to have a good boss who cares about running safe and legal.

steve4545:

Speaking as one of the unknowlegeable folk :smiley: , is it ENTIRELY iillegal to drive with a broken mirror, what if you do it on the outset of your journey and it is still broke a few hours later.
I know it should be replaced on first return to base, but just how long do you get so as to speak (if it IS illegal) before you have to replace it.

Think I got back on the ‘relevant track’ there. :sunglasses:

The-Snowman:

alphonsohall:
Regards

So!, please tell me what part of Robroys’ initial post was helpful ■■? (bearing in mind he began with the line "Why are you bothered")

alphonsohall:

The-Snowman:

alphonsohall:
Regards

So!, please tell me what part of Robroys’ initial post was helpful ■■? (bearing in mind he began with the line "Why are you bothered")

Why are you bothered? :smiley:

alphonsohall:
So!, please tell me what part of Robroys’ initial post was helpful ■■?

It doesnt matter if it was helpful or not. The attitude was uncalled for. Just because it wasnt the straight yes or no answer you were looking for does not make it unhelpful. He has a valid point. Your boss, the man who pays the wages, says its illegal and wont let you drive it till its fixed. It doesnt matter what anyone on a forum says, its HIS company, his o license and more importantly its his truck so if he believes it is illegal and wants it sorted before its back on the road then thats his call to make. I cant understand why its such a big deal to you. If he was telling you its legal but you were not sure then yes, ask for advice to find out where you stand. But he’s insisting you get proper vision rather than rely on a tiny blindspot mirror so who cares if hes wrong? I suspect if you go in tomorrow and say you’re taking it out with the broken mirror because "the guys on trucknet say its perfectly legal"then he wont be best pleased. And since this forum can have a thread go to 5 pages with guys all arguing about which lane to sit in at a roundabout then im not sure id trust anything I read on here regarding stuff being legal or not.

The-Snowman:

alphonsohall:

It doesnt matter if it was helpful or not. The attitude was uncalled for. Just because it wasnt the straight yes or no answer you were looking for does not make it unhelpful. He has a valid point. Your boss, the man who pays the wages, says its illegal and wont let you drive it till its fixed. It doesnt matter what anyone on a forum says, its HIS company, his o license and :smiley: more importantly its his truck so if he believes it is illegal and wants it sorted before its back on the road then thats his call to make. I cant understand why its such a big deal to you. If he was telling you its legal but you were not sure then yes, ask for advice to find out where you stand. But he’s insisting you get proper vision rather than rely on a tiny blindspot mirror so who cares if hes wrong? I suspect if you go in tomorrow and say you’re taking it out with the broken mirror because "the guys on trucknet say its perfectly legal"then he wont be best pleased. And since this forum can have a thread go to 5 pages with guys all arguing about which lane to sit in at a roundabout then im not sure id trust anything I read on here regarding stuff being legal or not.

What he said. :smiley:

robroy:

The-Snowman:

alphonsohall:

It doesnt matter if it was helpful or not. The attitude was uncalled for. Just because it wasnt the straight yes or no answer you were looking for does not make it unhelpful. He has a valid point. Your boss, the man who pays the wages, says its illegal and wont let you drive it till its fixed. It doesnt matter what anyone on a forum says, its HIS company, his o license and :smiley: more importantly its his truck so if he believes it is illegal and wants it sorted before its back on the road then thats his call to make. I cant understand why its such a big deal to you. If he was telling you its legal but you were not sure then yes, ask for advice to find out where you stand. But he’s insisting you get proper vision rather than rely on a tiny blindspot mirror so who cares if hes wrong? I suspect if you go in tomorrow and say you’re taking it out with the broken mirror because "the guys on trucknet say its perfectly legal"then he wont be best pleased. And since this forum can have a thread go to 5 pages with guys all arguing about which lane to sit in at a roundabout then im not sure id trust anything I read on here regarding stuff being legal or not.

What he said. :smiley:

+1

alphonsohall:
Regards

That’s like Captain Kirk saying “I think it’s time to return to base for routine maintenance, Scotty”, and Scotty replying with annoyance “but can’t we just give it all she’s got, Captain?”.

Just goes to show there’s no pleasing some people!

Rjan:

alphonsohall:
Regards

That’s like Captain Kirk saying “I think it’s time to return to base for routine maintenance, Scotty”, and Scotty replying with annoyance “but can’t we just give it all she’s got, Captain?”.

It all depends if you are having problems with Klingons on Uranus or not.

How knowlegeable or relevant is that? :laughing: :laughing:

"It all depends if you are having problems with Klingons on Uranus or not.

How knowlegeable or relevant is that? :laughing: :laughing:"

carterandbond.com/detail.phtml?pID=ND2002

Should deal with your “little brown men on swings” problem :wink:

This is what happens on a slow news day. Pheromones start flying over someone posting about a broken mirror. Calm down ladies :laughing:

I’m wondering if the OP’s boss has told him that “his” truck will be kept off the road tomorrow to get the mirror fixed and he’s upset that he’ll to use the “yard shed” for the day…