Nearly dropped a trailer on its nose today

Had a very close call today. Let me explain.
Went into side for trailer swap shunter informs me of bay, now this site insist us on opening curtains evening if just trailer swapping so I get out an pull the pin (this was ghe problem)then as I’m going round the trailer I undo clips an pull back curtains. In this time to fork lift’s appear and start removing pallets 2 each at a time. The trailer I was collecting was next to me but I need this clarifying by the office. And I need a wee so I go to office after opening curtains so that when I pull out I can get straight under next door. When I’m back trailer is empty so I shout over to shunter if he wants me to put in a parking before I Un hook. (My good gesture for the day, but don’t forget I’ve already pulled the pin) he says ‘yes please thank’s drive’.
I jump in pull off slowly (as always) that’s when I noticed this feels a bit different than it hit me

I’VE PULLED THE PIN

Litrally had it still by an inch on the run up bars. And then rescued it accordingly.

So my good deed to the shunter nearly cost me dearly.

Lesson learnt is don’t commence uncouple until ready to complete it.

My lucky day.

Shunter just laughed :open_mouth:

Lucky boy…

The pin is always last.

ALWAYS.

Yes it is now pal :blush:

First day I was on artics I nearly dropped one on its nose. We use Mega trailers with short stubby legs but muggins here didn’t wind them all the way down. They got stuck but I thought they were at the end of the gears so pulled away then saw the trailer drop lower than expected. Was very lucky as it was loaded too. Just dropped the air out of the trailer to lift the front end then back under again slowly to hook up again.

red7jase:
Yes it is now pal :blush:

Sounded like the pair of you were rushing a bit, if rushed take a step back and think what you’re doing, as above pin last .

red7jase:
Had a very close call today. Let me explain.
Went into side for trailer swap shunter informs me of bay, now this site insist us on opening curtains evening if just trailer swapping so I get out an pull the pin (this was ghe problem)then as I’m going round the trailer I undo clips an pull back curtains. In this time to fork lift’s appear and start removing pallets 2 each at a time. The trailer I was collecting was next to me but I need this clarifying by the office. And I need a wee so I go to office after opening curtains so that when I pull out I can get straight under next door. When I’m back trailer is empty so I shout over to shunter if he wants me to put in a parking before I Un hook. (My good gesture for the day, but don’t forget I’ve already pulled the pin) he says ‘yes please thank’s drive’.
I jump in pull off slowly (as always) that’s when I noticed this feels a bit different than it hit me

I’VE PULLED THE PIN

Litrally had it still by an inch on the run up bars. And then rescued it accordingly.

So my good deed to the shunter nearly cost me dearly.
Lesson learnt is don’t commence uncouple until ready to complete it.

My lucky day.

Shunter just laughed :open_mouth:

Sounds about right.

wtf is a “put in a parking”?

tommymanc:
wtf is a “put in a parking”?

Missed the word bay after parking.

Cant believe what i am reading.
Seems to be the norm these days, everyone cutting corners and rushing. I would have thought you were told how to couple, un-couple in your training before you took your test so why not do it properly now?

Seems to me you will eventually drop one if your routine is pulling the pin 1st.

It will not be 1st any longer…

Every day’s a school day.

FYI during training it was stated procedure can be done in any order, but we all know training is not real world.

Very lucky boy, but looking on the bright side at least you realised before it was too late.
You don’t have to be rushing to make a mistake, but of course all the detractors on here have never made one…yeah, right.

Assuming you have the trailer park brake on would the trailer be damaged if you did drop it? Loaded I’d guess so, empty could you just wind it up painfully slowly and hook up again? I’ve had to pull a rear steer a couple of times lately. Obviously I check I’m coupled with a good pull forward but I can’t get under and check the jaws have engaged like I’m used to doing. Is there another way of checking?

Stated in training that you can do it in any order?

red7jase:
I get out an pull the pin (this was the problem) then as I’m going round the trailer I undo clips an pull back curtains.

As you’ve pointed out that’s where you went wrong, IMO it’s always pin last unless site rules allow for short coupling reefers

Silly mistake, yes but at least you knew there was something not right straightaway and averted a a difficult situation with attendant awkward questions.

Unlike some who would have been pulling forward whilst checking Faceberk or playing Candi Crush.

You’re mental pulling the pin first. Get into a daily routine. BLACK. Lesson learnt.

:open_mouth: Have you put this drivel on here to brag about it or just boost your numpty status?

Think it’s been clarified that the pin is last.
I’ve been rather humble regarding this.
Lesson well and truly learnt.
Please stop hating although haters will always hate I suppose
This was error on my part and have never fhidden rom the fact.
I put on here to highlight how easy it’s done that’s all.

dri-diddly-iver:
:shock: Have you put this drivel on here to brag about it or just boost your numpty status?

Nice attitude…

Surely in the training they don’t say it can be done in any order? So on test couple you can pull pin when you get out cab?
I bet you won’t be pulling pin first next time you drop a trailer :slight_smile: