Near Miss !!!!!

Hi all,

Was havin a pretty uneventful journey down to Coalville from Caernarfon on thursday night and on the M56 just where the M53 joins eastbound i was checkin my nearside mirror to pull over to the inside lane when i heard the screeching noise of tyres,i looked round and a car passed the front of my truck sideways on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,It then flew across the hard shoulder and down the embankment.
I pulled over on the hard shoulder and switched on the hazard lights and went to investigate,another truck who had been behind me at the time had also pulled over and i asked him what had happened but all he saw was the car flying in front of my truck :confused: :confused: :confused: He called the emergency services and we went to investigate. The driver was out of the car and on the phone so i shouted to him to see if he was ok but he told me to be quiet as he was on the phone,he must be in shock i said to the other driver,then the fire brigade turns up and asked what had happened we told him and he went over to see the guy who told him to be quiet as he was busy on the phone :open_mouth: :open_mouth: The cheif fire officer gave him a few choice words and explained that two drivers who he could have killed had been good enough to stop to see if he was ok and he hadnt even acknowledged them.
Next the ambulance turned up and took the guy in to check him over and a few minutes later the ambulance man came to tell us that this guyā€™s behaviour was due to the fact that he was so ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  he didā€™nt even know what had happened :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:. We had to wait for the police to turn up in case they needed a statement but as he hadnā€™t collided with any of our vehicles we were allowed on our way. The copper said the guy wouldnā€™t be driving for a long timeā€¦but i wonder how long :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

SCAN

Instant and permanent removal of licence is whats needed here.

One driver caught because of the proffesional drivers on our roads, Sometimes it pays to stop and see if there OK, You can have the satisfaction of doing something good, and in this case, Possibly saved someoneā€™s life in the long run by getting this person off the road.

Its about time the UK goverment brought in Zero Tollerance towards drink driving. None of this maybe over the limit, Your either had a drink, or not had a drink.

I value my driving license too much, Had a Vodka and coke, then my mum asked me to drive to the shops for something, Sorry cant - already had a drinkā€¦ Some people in this case will still drive after 3 or 4 Vodkas and may well be still under the limit which I think is wrong as they can still KILL.

Danny

iā€™m with youā€™s on this one if you have a drink then step into a car and get stopped by the police or have an accident your fault or not,then sorry remove your licence and you donā€™t get it back.irrespective of what job you do.the level of alcohol in the body should be zero,apart from the natural amount already contained in your body. :wink:

I have an absolute hatred of drink/driving!!
Not because of any of my family have been injured as a result of someone but I just cannot tolerate it!!!
I will not even have a drink if I am driving the next morning!! There is no way I am gonna lose my licences

Im the exact same, Wont have a drink if Im driving the following morning. I was working saturday morning, Was out friday and was happy to sit with orange and lemonade all night long, It doesnt bother me one bit.

I will drive if I have had a pint of shandy, but I make sure its a weak one, other wise no driving.
I accept people do have a legal right to one or two drinks & that some people as a result go accidently over the limit & feel that the police are unfair as a result when they prosecute someone for being very minimally over the limit.
But zbā€™s who dont zb should have more than thier licence removed.

it is imposible for me to drink now i work a split restday system with sunday and tuesday off. so the only time i can drink is saturday night,but like others the car donā€™t move off the drive.

any one caught drink driving deserves everything they get and as for the case of that drink driver which killed that kid in brum and then got hes sentance reduced well the laws an ā– ā– ā– . :smiling_imp:

as been said before zero tollerance

jon

daxi:
I accept people do have a legal right to one or two drinks & that some people as a result go accidently over the limit & feel that the police are unfair as a result when they prosecute someone for being very minimally over the limit.

I think that is the problem that people feel they are allowed, or have a legal right to, one or two drinks. One or two drinks may not put someone over one day but on another occasion it can, depending on what or when they have eaten, how tired they are, their general health, if they are on medication etc. Remove the doubt and make the level zero. No excuses then.

I had a narrow escape with a drunk driver at the beginning of the year,I was in my car driving home from work down the A24 at 11 oclock in the evening when I saw a car approaching me from behind,I thought he was going to go in the back of me but at the last minute he pulled out ,lost it and spun into the barrier right in front of me,I dont know how i missed him as i had nowhere to go,but i did.I went over to see if he was ok and when he got out he stunk of booze,later when the police came they asked me if i saw the driver get out of the car,at the time i thought twice about saying yes(not wanting to drop someone in it),but i did say yes and the more i thought about it the better i felt about dropping him in it,because he was lucky not to kill both of us and his pasengers.

i must admit that i have been an idiot in the past on my travels.often cancelling a days work to have a drink with the boysā€¦but i would have no hesitation in reporting someone for having had one too manyā€¦and dont forget that the alcohol remains in your system for 24 hoursā€¦and you could fail a breath test the following morningā€¦there was some discrepancy a few years ago when a driver was stopped for entering his cab after going on the beer and being told that he would be arrested and breathalised for being drunk in chargeā€¦it made no difference when he told the police that the truck was his hotel and he had nowhere else to sleepā€¦if you have the keys at your disposal then you will be prosecuted for being drunk in chargeā€¦and i am sure we all have a tale to tell, like the time i was totally blottoā€¦got stopped for a supposedly faulty rear lightā€¦got breathalisedā€¦and passed ā€¦and i`ve never done it sinceā€¦that was my wake up callā€¦got breathalised in Romania many years agoā€¦the policeman even tried the bag out for himself to make sure it workedā€¦then handed it to meā€¦i refusedā€¦it cost me 10 deutch marks to get out of that oneā€¦no receipt of courseā€¦oh those were the daysā€¦eh jon boyā€¦
have a nice day

A few years ago I made it policy not to drink within 24 hours of having to drive just in case there was any trace of alcohol in the system, after a while I stopped drinking altogether.

Now I dont miss it at all, on the contrary the smell of alchohol is enough to turn my stomach. Iā€™m not saying every professional driver should do as I do, but as one that used to drink more than I should, I value my licence more than I value alchohol.

Years ago as a young soldier posted to BAOR I used to sup a few :smiley: . Vodka was 75pence a litre and beer was just under a pound a case :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Now however i drive six days a week and depend on my licences for my living, just like everyone else here. I havnā€™t had a drink in eighteen months and donā€™t miss it a bit.

danielwilkie:
ā€¦Its about time the UK goverment brought in Zero Tollerance towards drink driving. None of this maybe over the limit, Your either had a drink, or not had a drinkā€¦Danny

And what about inhalers, mouth washes and some throat medications that have alcohol in them? How long should you have to wait before you drive after a drink? You may well be free of alcohol on the breath but still in an unsafe condition to drive. I suggest that Zero tolerance should apply to sentencing once convicted.

I used to go to a friendā€™s house for a sunday, stay all day and have 3 beers tops during 8 or 9 hours. Then drive home. Are you saying thatā€™s wrong?

Sure, if Iā€™d been there an hour and had 3 beers, Iā€™d not be in a fit condition to driveā€¦

Would you report someone that you know , if you knew that they were over the limit
and Iā€™m not just talking truck drivers here, anyone
I have a ā€œfriendā€ and I knew she was a drinker which then became alcoholism and she still drove quite often with her 4 young children in the car :imp: :smiling_imp:
in the end my concience got the better of me so I reported her
she was stopped twice in 3 months the first time she was 4 times over the limit the second (whilst waiting for the first to go to court) she was 5 times over the limit at 9.30 in the morning :cry: :frowning:
subsequently banned for 5 years
did I feel guilty a little at first but now I know I did the right thing

so what would you do :question:

pam