Near Miss, Reality Check on A12

Good on you kiddo for sharing.

Hands free does not mean you can concentrate fine and dandy just because your bling isn’t stuck to your ear. Think about this next time you go on a road trip with the missus and nippers. It’s not a phone call. It’s a whole raft of distractions which affect your concentration as well as your physical/mental state.

A phone call, hands free or not, will still have an affect on you. Trying to concentrate on the call; bad/good news which alters your levels of alertness…

And as we should all know, driving tired has very similar effects on the body as booze does to your driving ability.

Good to see some drivers realising that talking on a hands free phone can affect concentration.
The sooner they are banned the better I feel.
Anyone who says it does not affect their concentration really needs to waken up.
Granted it will affect some more than others though.
It’s just a matter of time before they stop the use of them but the sooner the better if it saves an accident or a fatality.
Of course we will still have the problem of the drivers that do not concentrate on their driving whether they are on a phone or not!

Phone 20 mins before a accident your still at fault proven in court . put phone down 20 mins after have accident you will be still focused on phone call and eligible for sentencing

psv8:
Phone 20 mins before a accident your still at fault proven in court . put phone down 20 mins after have accident you will be still focused on phone call and eligible for sentencing

Link please?

If you have not seen this series already, take a look.

It’s entirely based around the A12 - so literally “right up this thread’s street”. :slight_smile:

I got myself one of those cheap Bluetooth earpiece things a while ago. Very rare that I’ll get a call when driving and unless it’s my boss trying for the third time I’ll ignore it and ring back when I can.

The times I used my hands free thing I still find it distracting. You know that sudden realisation that you can’t remember the last 10-15 minutes of your journey? That’s what scares me. Even when I use it I’ll ask my boss if it’s really urgent or can I ring him back when I find a layby or whatever to stop in.