Natural gas trucks

Was looking at one of our natural gas trucks last night!!!
What a bloody heath robinson piece of bloody kidology they are.
They start up on diesel till the donkey gets warm,then they flip over to 40% diesel(to provide enough heat to ignite the gas) and 60% gas.

They have a bloody great “bomb” strapped to one side and a diesel and add blue tank on the other,a vent pipe up the back of the cab that looks like its come straight from Aushwitz,an ecu the size of a roses sweetie tin bolted to the engine and 6 injectors that bolt into the inlet plenum chamber(why 6 when its just one chamber?)

And all for the bargain price of 16 grand!!!

No wonder the company operates from some back street in Leyland bet they are inundated.Another bloody con from our friends across the Atlantic.

Oh dear!!

Mr Carryfast will be along soon to debate this. :wink:

Just a question.

Is this like the LPG that I used to fill up my Range Rover with? I was always under the impression it could only be mixed with Petrol.

i think its methane gas, could attach a pipe to the drivers seat after a curry.

the stuff you run the range rover on is propane - red bottle camping gas.

dar1976:
Just a question.

Is this like the LPG that I used to fill up my Range Rover with? I was always under the impression it could only be mixed with Petrol.

No its liquified natural gas (methane).It has nowhere near the calorific value(power output) of LPG.But as with LPG it ,unlike diesel,wont explode under pressure but needs an ignition source so you got to bang in a few miililitres of diesel to get the crap to burn.

The real con is that most of the 16 grand “conversion” is paid for by the government(eg you and me) to companies such as tosco etc as its a “clean” fuel.

They reckon using this “technology” extends the life of the engine and increases service intervals as well.
Jesus our motors are doing a million klicks and an oil change every 100000 kms.
So you will still have a pristine donkey but every bearing,valve,switch,sensor,seat and bloody damper will have been changed twice.Whats the bloody point they only keep the things 5 or 6 years.Mind you 16 grand from the tax payer aint a bad incentive is it.

No point unless your a big noise trying to blag the public you’re Eco friendly…

If it’s using diesel as a pilot ignition source why does it need all the gubbins, a simple fumigation system would be just as effective.