National walkout?

It’s been said many times before.

But for the benefit of those who have learning difficulties I will say it again.

STOP WORKING FOR CRAP FIRMS FFS! :unamused:

DriverNumber1:
The worst offenders are the guys who do tramping. You lot should work out your hourly rate, you’re basically unpaid security guards.

Biggest pile of ■■■■■ ive read in a long while! So what do you propose then? 10-15hr day and then paid another ‘security’ rate for the duration :unamused:

The only thing that keeps me working is that I feel I’d be letting the lads down. Mind you, if they weren’t working, I wouldn’t have anyone to let down, I could just bu88er off home and stay there.

So after the week long strike, I finish up and they go and work for someone that doesn’t pay through breaks, doesn’t put them up in hotel and in fact operates like all the big faceless hauliers.

albion:
The only thing that keeps me working is that I feel I’d be letting the lads down. Mind you, if they weren’t working, I wouldn’t have anyone to let down, I could just bu88er off home and stay there.

So after the week long strike, I finish up and they go and work for someone that doesn’t pay through breaks, doesn’t put them up in hotel and in fact operates like all the big faceless hauliers.

Youve always come across as one of the good employers though Albion, its probably very unlikely your guys have much to complain about… :wink:

AndrewG:

albion:

Youve always come across as one of the good employers though Albion, its probably very unlikely your guys have much to complain about… :wink:

exactly so why should they go out on strike because other companies are crap employers and the drivers they employ don’t either leave or get themselves organised so they can take industrial action against that employer?

DriverNumber1:
Having been in this terrible job for almost 20 years and now working more hours than ever for less pay I reckon it’s time WE did something about it. I cannot believe that any driver is seriously happy with the situation. We are basically on minimum wage and treated like the lowest of the low for doing what is an essential service. The working time directive is seen as a target rather than a safety limit and the working conditions are, quite simply, shocking.
I am constantly infuriated by the lack of passion for this topic by almost all drivers I meet. It seems that everyone is more than happy to moan and whinge about it but no one will actually stand up and try to do something. The worst offenders are the guys who do tramping. You lot should work out your hourly rate, you’re basically unpaid security guards.
Until the drivers actually grow some balls and stand up for themselves this situation is not going to change.
I am willing to give up some of what little free time I get to have a go at organising a national walkout. If ALL OF US get together and agree to strike for a week THEY will have to listen. I cannot do it alone. I will no longer work for any company as the wages and conditions are just not good enough. Everywhere I have worked has been the same, the drivers all moan but when I stick my neck out no one EVER backs me up. Only WE can change the situation. Just how far up your arse does your employers ■■■■ have to be before you realise you’re getting forcked?

A petition to the gov won’t work only a walkout will have any effect. I propose setting up a dedicated website to organise this, or maybe doing it on here but I’m not sure of the site rules on that one.

Is anyone with me or are you all happy to be forcked by your employer?

Sorry, but I’m quite content with the pay I’m getting and the conditions I’m on. I’d like more, but if my wages doubled or trebled, I’d still like more. I’m on £11.50 an hour, which isn’t minimum wage, and on a typical 11 hour shift I do maybe 4-5 hours work, and spend the rest of the time sitting on my fat arse in the cab while I’m being tipped, on the laptop looking at Japanese schoolgirl ■■■■ and reading ■■■■■■■■ on TruckNet. What’s not to like?

This might seem a bit smug, and in some ways it is, but it is also a glib reply to all those who think national action will ever happen or will achieve something, they’re normally the ones that haven’t done anything to get out of the situation they find themselves in and just moan and expect the rest of us to sort out their problems.
And if by some miracle it did happen the government would probably relax the cabotage regulations to cover the work, taking action against individual companies might be far more effective.

DriverNumber1:
Having been in this terrible job for almost 20 years and now working more hours than ever for less pay

I’m earning more and work less hours than I ever have?

DriverNumber1:
I reckon it’s time WE did something about it. I cannot believe that any driver is seriously happy with the situation.

Crack on then, you hate your job, so do something, it’s not up to us to sort your problems out.

DriverNumber1:
We are basically on minimum wage and treated like the lowest of the low for doing what is an essential service. The working time directive is seen as a target rather than a safety limit and the working conditions are, quite simply, shocking.

Yep shocking, I averaged 9 hours a day, including breaks, last week and the accommodation was only a 4 star hotel.

DriverNumber1:
I am constantly infuriated by the lack of passion for this topic by almost all drivers I meet. It seems that everyone is more than happy to moan and whinge about it but no one will actually stand up and try to do something.

I didn’t moan, I went and found a decent job.

DriverNumber1:
The worst offenders are the guys who do tramping. You lot should work out your hourly rate, you’re basically unpaid security guards.

I tramp, but no boss has ever expected me to be a security guard when I book off, just use a bit of sense when parking. Anyway it’s difficult to keep an eye on the truck from my hotel room, bar or Restaurant.

DriverNumber1:
Until the drivers actually grow some balls and stand up for themselves this situation is not going to change.
I am willing to give up some of what little free time I get to have a go at organising a national walkout. If ALL OF US get together and agree to strike for a week THEY will have to listen.

So I have to upset my employers, who paid for my hotel room, most of my meals last week and full pay during my weekly rest as it was away from base, because you aren’t happy?

You drivers who aren’t happy can grow balls and find other work or get yourself together and take industrial action against your employer, I’m quite happy for my union dues to be spent on drivers taking justifiable industrial against crap employers.

DriverNumber1:
I cannot do it alone.

You can! Leave and find another job and if enough of you who aren’t happy do it, then the baduns won’t be able to work.

DriverNumber1:
I will no longer work for any company as the wages and conditions are just not good enough. Everywhere I have worked has been the same, the drivers all moan but when I stick my neck out no one EVER backs me up. Only WE can change the situation. Just how far up your arse does your employers ■■■■ have to be before you realise you’re getting forcked?

Great you’re getting the message, it’s up to you who aren’t getting a good deal, not the likes of me who wouldn’t accept crap T&C’s years ago.

DriverNumber1:
A petition to the gov won’t work only a walkout will have any effect. I propose setting up a dedicated website to organise this, or maybe doing it on here but I’m not sure of the site rules on that one.

I’m happy to be forcked by them, I’m quite willing to settle for 3 star hotels if I have to.

Harry Monk:

DriverNumber1:
Having been in this terrible job for almost 20 years and now working more hours than ever for less pay I reckon it’s time WE did something about it. I cannot believe that any driver is seriously happy with the situation. We are basically on minimum wage and treated like the lowest of the low for doing what is an essential service. The working time directive is seen as a target rather than a safety limit and the working conditions are, quite simply, shocking.
I am constantly infuriated by the lack of passion for this topic by almost all drivers I meet. It seems that everyone is more than happy to moan and whinge about it but no one will actually stand up and try to do something. The worst offenders are the guys who do tramping. You lot should work out your hourly rate, you’re basically unpaid security guards.
I am willing to give up some of what little free time I get to have a go at organising a national walkout. If ALL OF US get together and agree to strike for a week THEY will have to listen. I cannot do it alone. I will no longer work for any company as the wages and conditions are just not good enough. Everywhere I have worked has been the same, the drivers all moan but when I stick my neck out no one EVER backs me up. Only WE can change the situation. Just how far up your arse does your employers ■■■■ have to be before you realise you’re getting forcked?

Sorry, but I’m quite content with the pay I’m getting and the conditions I’m on. I’d like more, but if my wages doubled or trebled, I’d still like more. I’m on £11.50 an hour, which isn’t minimum wage, and on a typical 11 hour shift I do maybe 4-5 hours work, and spend the rest of the time sitting on my fat arse in the cab while I’m being tipped, on the laptop looking at Japanese schoolgirl ■■■■ and reading ■■■■■■■■ on TruckNet. What’s not to like?

You might want to edit that slightly HM…pc bollox and all that… :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:

Harry Monk:

DriverNumber1:

You might want to edit that slightly HM…pc bollox and all that… :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t realise you were T/nuts Social Justice Warrior. :laughing:

muckles:

AndrewG:

Harry Monk:

DriverNumber1:

Very far from it mate, more like Bend It as far as you can type warrior… :grimacing:

I like my job where I’m at now thank you very much. I never got to experience the “Golden Age” of transport because I’m too young but if it required sleeping on a board over the engine hump in the freezing cold then no thanks. I like where we are, I like the tech that modern trucks have. I like my employer, yes I work a lot of hours, 70+ normally and 4 nights out a week but that is something I chose to do. I don’t want my hours to be reduced.

muckles:

AndrewG:

Harry Monk:

Andrew is standing up for equality!
Why shouldn`t schoolgirls of ALL nationalities have jobs in the … errr,… modelling sector?

Harry Monk:
on the laptop looking at Japanese schoolgirl ■■■■ and reading ■■■■■■■■ on TruckNet. What’s not to like?

Whats the site name Harry or pm me if you wantt … lol

muckles:

AndrewG:

albion:

exactly so why should they go out on strike because other companies are crap employers and the drivers they employ don’t either leave or get themselves organised so they can take industrial action against that employer?

They aren’t allowed to complain!

What muckles says and yes to another of his posts, if you don’t like it, you are not a tree. Move. I didn’t like my job, I went and worked for myself. Simple really.

OP - why have you been in a job you hate for 20 years?

Jesus, your only on this planet once. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, make some lifetyle changes, have some gumption and sort your life out :unamused:

Your fighting a losing battle, you’ll never get drivers to agree with each other over what they want, let alone walk out together.

raymundo:

Harry Monk:
on the laptop looking at Japanese schoolgirl ■■■■ and reading ■■■■■■■■ on TruckNet. What’s not to like?

Whats the site name Harry or pm me if you wantt … lol

Tut tut.
youtu.be/X1VgcxE9Lpw

albion:

muckles:

AndrewG:

albion:

They aren’t allowed to complain!

What muckles says and yes to another of his posts, if you don’t like it, you are not a tree. Move. I didn’t like my job, I went and worked for myself. Simple really.

Exactly what i did 20 odd years ago. Found it a little hard going at times re cash flow and late payers ect but would never be an employee ever again. Ive only ever taken on the odd driver over the years for temp contractual extra work but always without fail paid well over and above the average wage and treated those drivers how i would expect to be treated. Far more gets done that way and without complaint…

rob22888:
OP - why have you been in a job you hate for 20 years?

Jesus, your only on this planet once. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, make some lifetyle changes, have some gumption and sort your life out :unamused:

Your fighting a losing battle, you’ll never get drivers to agree with each other over what they want, let alone walk out together.

I didn’t always hate it man. I’ve travelled all over the world and had some great times. I just don’t seem to have any time or expendable income anymore without killing myself to get it.

Carryfast:
The conclusion being that distance drivers only have themselves to blame in coveting their jobs too much,at others’ expense.On the basis that it is possible to have too much of a good thing and how often do we ever see agencies asking for distance/international drivers,as opposed to all the other boring multi drop/building deliveries/retail distribution,home every night type dross. :unamused:

Having been around a bit myself, I’m not entirely convince that my £40k+/year job with paid breaks, sick pay, pension, share-save, gym, clean work & not a lot of hours, could be described as ‘dross’. Compared to this ‘good thing’ of yours which see’s you scouring lay-by’s & industrial estates for somewhere to sleep every night.

Carryfast:
how often do we ever see agencies asking for distance/international drivers,as opposed to all the other boring multi drop/building deliveries/retail distribution,home every night type dross. :unamused:

Quite a lot round these parts, I would have got loads of work on my last brief excursion with an agency if I’d been willing to “Tramp” and my brother did a bit of agency last year, between permanent jobs, and as he was willing to “tramp” he had that sort of work for the entire time he was with the agency and all the companies he went offered him a full-time tramping job.

As for International work, the lack of agencies offering that sort of work might have something to do with the lack of UK companies doing that sort of work.