National living wage up to £9 ph

how will this effect hgv drivers pay any indication?

I don’t think it comes in for a few years yet, by which time £9 p/h will be crap.

Woopee. Looks like I’ll be getting a pay rise soon.[emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Been on more than that…Not much more mind you…For last 6 years…So there will be no pay rise for me for the forseeable future then…

Stobrats will have increase their drivers pay,but to balance it out they’ll reduce their “meal allowance”.

axletramp:
I don’t think it comes in for a few years yet, by which time £9 p/h will be crap.

knowing the hgv game we hgv drivers will still be on that in a few years

Seeing some of the comments on here you must be in area`s that driving jobs are scarce if your only on and around the £9 ph mark

I hope you’re all joking? Who would want to bother and the stress driving a truck for £9 an hour! You can get that driving an Asda van I bet… I’m in London but it can’t be that bad elsewhere…

It’s no joke for Stobards…

Crazy they must do it for the love [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

did my 1st day at stobbies yesterday, started at 8 with 2 hour induction then run up to Carlisle drop trailer run back with empty trailer to Appleton thorn sacked it at 6 pm, what a load of c@@p,
trucks are nice on the out side but looked like dog kennel on in side, and was only 12 months old, with 3 lots of paper work just for the one trip

To be honest, a £9 national minimum wage, would (IMHO) just make HGV driving even less attractive. Why drive a truck with unsocial hours, have the hassles of trying to get drops done with traffic and have roadside agencies trying to extract money from you, when you would legally be entitled to earn similar money, by enforced pay rates in every other field of work?

To think hauliers would pay even higher wages, isn’t really a realistic proposition. :confused:

As you can see above, you end up getting £10 per hour with Stobarts.

Why is that considered so bad?

eagerbeaver:
As you can see above, you end up getting £10 per hour with Stobarts.

Why is that considered so bad?

Do you get meal allowance whilst on holiday?

Nope. Holiday pay is based on TAXABLE pay. Obviously the meal allowance is NON TAXABLE. If you take this example; I work Mon-Fri days. So no nights out or weekends. If I do a 60 hour week (lets base it on 5 x 12 hour shifts). The £15 m/a works out at £1.25 ph. So we are looking at the equivalent of £1.50 because it is tax free. So already that is £9.88. Assuming I start at 7am, my last hour (because its after 6pm) is paid at £10.38. So without splitting hairs, we are looking at £10 per hour for the shift.

I am expected to do 12 overtime shifts per year. Assuming I do Saturdays, which is ball park £12.00 per hour , and do 8/9 hours, I would be getting around £100 for that shift. So per month we are looking at around £2500 gross. 11 months at £2500 + 1month(hols) at £2200 (-£300 for 4 weeks m/a ), we are talking £29,700. Less tax and deductions. So personal allowance is £10,600 non taxable, plus 48 weeks m/a (48 x £75) is £3,600. So £14,200 non taxable. £29,700 per annum - £14,200 = £15,500 taxable.@ 20%, which means £3,100 tax deduction. So £29,700 - £3,100 = £26,600. Now take off NI at roughly £200 per month, so £2,400, we are looking at a bring home (net figure) of £24,200 a year or £2000 ish per month.

That’s not too bad in my book. On top of that there are other benefits, such as a pay out for your family for death in service (doesn’t matter if you are driving, or at home at the time) for example.

Don’t knock it until you try it.

Working it out on a 60hr week every week and justifying it that way ain’t great in my eyes but if your happy with it.

All I am saying CK, is that I reckon its about the average wage for class 1 Mon-Fri days mate.

Plenty of firms round here pay 500 a week if you do 6 days.

eagerbeaver:
Nope. Holiday pay is based on TAXABLE pay. Obviously the meal allowance is NON TAXABLE. If you take this example; I work Mon-Fri days. So no nights out or weekends. If I do a 60 hour week (lets base it on 5 x 12 hour shifts). The £15 m/a works out at £1.25 ph. So we are looking at the equivalent of £1.50 because it is tax free. So already that is £9.88. Assuming I start at 7am, my last hour (because its after 6pm) is paid at £10.38. So without splitting hairs, we are looking at £10 per hour for the shift.

I am expected to do 12 overtime shifts per year. Assuming I do Saturdays, which is ball park £12.00 per hour , and do 8/9 hours, I would be getting around £100 for that shift. So per month we are looking at around £2500 gross. 11 months at £2500 + 1month(hols) at £2200 (-£300 for 4 weeks m/a ), we are talking £29,700. Less tax and deductions. So personal allowance is £10,600 non taxable, plus 48 weeks m/a (48 x £75) is £3,600. So £14,200 non taxable. £29,700 per annum - £14,200 = £15,500 taxable.@ 20%, which means £3,100 tax deduction. So £29,700 - £3,100 = £26,600. Now take off NI at roughly £200 per month, so £2,400, we are looking at a bring home (net figure) of £24,200 a year or £2000 ish per month.

That’s not too bad in my book. On top of that there are other benefits, such as a pay out for your family for death in service (doesn’t matter if you are driving, or at home at the time) for example.

Why use your tax free meal allowance to subsidise your hourly rate,Companies claim for expenses against their tax returns
If you applied, for say a mortgage,they go on your actual gross wage not what is tax free.

lolipop:

eagerbeaver:

Why use your tax free meal allowance to subsidise your hourly rate,Companies claim for expenses against their tax returns
If you applied, for say a mortgage,they go on your actual gross wage not what is tax free.

Not forgetting you’ll also be £75 a week down for every week you have holiday.