Nasty collision involving hgv

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … le-3635412

Courtesy of the Daily (we hate lorrys) Mail.

Looks to me like the driver just hasn’t seen them. Easy enough done.
Aren’t the motorsport wagons LHD even though they’re UK registered?

Captain Caveman 76:

Makes you wonder why a car driver would choose to use a motorway doesn’t it!

Bet she won’t sit in the blind spot any more [emoji6]
(assuming it was a left ■■■■■■)

That is pretty shocking from the car driver and her passenger’s point of view.
If it was right hand drive, he was not watching his mirrors…end of, case closed.

If it is a left ■■■■■■ there ARE definite blind spots on the passenger side, you just do not see overtaking cars.
It should be law for left hand drive trucks to have a step camera fitted with a dash monitor.
These are TOTALLY effective, if set right, in eliminating that blind spot speaking from experience, to avoid sideswipes.

If not a step camera, it should be a minimal requirement for a fresnel lens, ok, not as good as the step camera, but quite effective nevertheless.
At least they were both ok, I have seen these sideswipes by left hookers result in tragedy before.

robroy:

chester:

Captain Caveman 76:

If it was right hand drive, he was not watching his mirrors…end of.
If it is a left ■■■■■■ there are definite blind spots on the passenger side.
It should be law for left hand drive trucks to have a step camera fitted with a dash monitor.
These are TOTALLY effective, if set right, in eliminating that blind spot speaking from experience, to avoid sideswipes.

If not a step camera, it should be a minimal requirement for a fresnel lens, ok, not as good as the step camera, but quite effective nevertheless.
At least they were both ok, I have seen these sideswipes by left hookers result in tragedy before.

Step cameras on the nearside would be a good idea for rhd. The number of times a car has come down a slip road and sat in my blind spot is ridiculous. At least with a fresnel lens I stand half a chance, but sometimes that isn’t enough!

Captain Caveman 76:

robroy:

chester:

Captain Caveman 76:

If it was right hand drive, he was not watching his mirrors…end of.
If it is a left ■■■■■■ there are definite blind spots on the passenger side.

Step cameras on the nearside would be a good idea for rhd. The number of times a car has come down a slip road and sat in my blind spot is ridiculous. At least with a fresnel lens I stand half a chance, but sometimes that isn’t enough!

Yeh that’s right mate, good idea.
I would never have thought of fitting one on a rhd, being that we all both sit and drive all on the same side, rather than for a left ■■■■■■ driving in UK. I also have my old fresnel fitted on my present rhd., so I realise now when you say, it’s the same principle really.
I have one in the shed somewhere, I just might take your advice on that bud,… cheers.

robroy:
Yeh that’s right mate, good idea.
I would never have thought of fitting one on a rhd, being that we all both sit and drive all on the same side, rather than for a left ■■■■■■ driving in UK. I also have my old fresnel fitted on my present rhd., so I realise now when you say, it’s the same principle really.
I have one in the shed somewhere, I just might take your advice on that bud,… cheers.

No worries. But when you get mega wealthy after your appearance on dragons den, remember your old mate Cavey! :smiley:

I was tipping yesterday next to a kammac merc (rhd) and he had a camera fitted. Look quite smart too.

One of our subbies has got the brigade 360 system in all his trucks. It’s bloody awesome to be fair. He’s got some right useless drivers and it’s wiped out a lot of his low speed tight manoeuvre type accidents

I would say that is one darned good ad for wearing a seatbelt.

Well it seems that a lot are blaming the car driver for what happened. She was in his blind spot because she had nowhere else to go, but he should have seen her overtaking and then disappearing into that blind spot. I’ve lost plenty of cars and motorbikes in the blind spot but I knew they were there. She would have been a car driver who passed a test in a car and was never taught about blind spots and left hookers. He/she on the other hand, knows all about blind spots and should be on the ball about them.

We had a horrible slip road where I came to the end of one motorway to another from a slip road on the right, and just to make it even more interesting, it was on a bend on top of a hill, genius design that. I did the run regularly and always managed not to hit anything in the massive blind spot.

For anyone that knows the area, it was at the end of the old Gateway motorway, where it joined the laughingly called Ipswich motorway. Glad to say it’s all changed now.

The bloke in the car is a member on the army rumour service website. He’s an ex squaddie and an ex copper - retired now I believe. :wink:

peterm:
Well it seems that a lot are blaming the car driver for what happened. She was in his blind spot because she had nowhere else to go, but he should have seen her overtaking and then disappearing into that blind spot. I’ve lost plenty of cars and motorbikes in the blind spot but I knew they were there. She would have been a car driver who passed a test in a car and was never taught about blind spots and left hookers. He/she on the other hand, knows all about blind spots and should be on the ball about them.

We had a horrible slip road where I came to the end of one motorway to another from a slip road on the right, and just to make it even more interesting, it was on a bend on top of a hill, genius design that. I did the run regularly and always managed not to hit anything in the massive blind spot.

For anyone that knows the area, it was at the end of the old Gateway motorway, where it joined the laughingly called Ipswich motorway. Glad to say it’s all changed now.

Totally agree regards to the blind spot. If the trucker had been alert this wouldn’t happen.
Disagree about she had no where to go though. If she had been going a bit quicker than 56.5 playing in among the trucks this would not have happened.

70 is the speed limit - not a target. :wink:

BossHogg:
70 is the speed limit - not a target. :wink:

So you say it’s not a stupid idea to sit in a trucks blindspot, and match it’s speed? Just because 70 is not a target?

Not withstanding that the hgv driver should have been aware. That is part of being an HGV driver skill. Anticipate and knowing where the buggers are. .

Do I understand correctly that the car started overtaking, but slowed and abandoned the overtake manoeuvre when in the blindspot?

Looks more to me that she was overtaking but didn’t fancy driving in to the back of the lorry in front of her, or side swiping something in the other lane.

at the beginning of the vid she (do we know it is a she?) is doing 64 and gradually slows to 52 just before impact. I suspect from the wide angle lens she is much closer to the truck in front than it looks, she is quite rightly keeping a reasonable distance so when the opportunity arises she can accelerate back up to speed and pass the the lorry in front. I don’t think it should be up to her to recognise the lorry she is overtaking is a south paw and as such is more dangerous, she probably thought to herself the person driving the lorry was a professional at the top of his game and should be safe alongside. Yes driving alongside of a tractor is not a good place to be, but what were her options, driving up the chuff of the lorry in front would have been even worse driving. 9/10 for her, 0/10 for the trucker.

Bluey Circles:
at the beginning of the vid she (do we know it is a she?) is doing 64 and gradually slows to 52 just before impact. I suspect from the wide angle lens she is much closer to the truck in front than it looks, she is quite rightly keeping a reasonable distance so when the opportunity arises she can accelerate back up to speed and pass the the lorry in front. I don’t think it should be up to her to recognise the lorry she is overtaking is a south paw and as such is more dangerous, she probably thought to herself the person driving the lorry was a professional at the top of his game and should be safe alongside. Yes driving alongside of a tractor is not a good place to be, but what were her options, driving up the chuff of the lorry in front would have been even worse driving. 9/10 for her, 0/10 for the trucker.

Agree with that. The populace at large may be ■■■■ drivers, but we are the supposed professionals, and should account for that. We need to be extra vigilant, and low for others incompetence/inexperience. Much like bikers do.

What i cant work out is the fact, they were travelling from Hythe in Kent…to a cinema god knows where…i would blame the local chamber of commerce for not having a cinema more local. :smiley: i wonder if they got to see a different film to the one on their cam…glad they were not injured though.

Bluey Circles:

Well put.