Name of trucks on the good old days

I amused myself with writing up the former English Lorries different name then I think it’s nicer to have a name other than a name with two or three letters and numbers. It can be seen as a swipe at contemporary factories that do not have better imagination.
Volvo had in the 1950’s names on their trucks like these: Titanium, Starke, Brage, Raske and Trygge meaning Titanium, Strong, God of poetry, Quick and Safe.

I see that the producers of yesteryear were very specific in terms of names and not experimented with names here and there, but reacted to a letter of the alphabet which I think was good.

AEC:

Beaver
Comet
Majestic
Major
Mammouth
Mandator
Mercery
Monarch
Mustang

Albion:

Chieftain
Clansman
Clydesdale
Clydmore
Reiver AUS
Victor AUS

Leyland as had many creature names:

Badger
Beaver
Bison
Boxer
Buffalo
Chieftain
Clydesdale
Super Comet
Constructor
Crusaders
Hippo
KUR
Lynx
Mastiff
Mercery
Octopus
Super Reiver
Retreiver
Rhino
Rocklea
Steer
Terrier

Atkinson:

Borderer
Continental
Leader
Nazar
Scearcer
Silver knight
Venturer

Seddon Atkinson Strato

Commer:

Commando
Commersial
Maxiload
Superpoise

Ford:

Thames
Thames Trader
Transit

Schamell:

Constructor
Crusader
Handyman
Higwayman
Pioneer
Routeman

ERF:

Trunker

Maudslay:

Maharajah
Mammouth Major
Merioit
Meritor
Mogul
Monarch
Mustang

This is not too bad although I see that some brands have the same name. Bedford is hopeless as they don’t have names. You may correct me if something is missing or incorrect :slight_smile:

How about Scammell’s Mechanical Horse and Scarab?
Thorneycroft’s Sturdy, Sturdy Star, Trusty and Antar.- Help me out here: what was the 8-wheeler called?
Guy’s Max, Pax, Warrior and Invincible.

Retired Old ■■■■:
How about Scammell’s Mechanical Horse and Scarab?
Thorneycroft’s Sturdy, Sturdy Star, Trusty and Antar.- Help me out here: what was the 8-wheeler called?
Guy’s Max, Pax, Warrior and Invincible.

Wolf
Vixen
Warrior
Invincible
Big J
Otter

Well you can’t expect me to think much at this time of night!!!
Not after a hard day on th’allotment followed by a couple of pints of Banks’ bitter1 :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Well you can’t expect me to think much at this time of night!!!
Not after a hard day on th’allotment followed by a couple of pints of Banks’ bitter1 :wink:

Huh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

schamell…SCAMMELL, also made Rigid 6 & 8, Showtrac, Explorer, Mountaineer, Contractor, Commander, Trunker

When I was about 10 I enrolled in the Scammell Spotters Club, out of something I read in my father’s Motor Transport.
I used to get a monthly newsletter. I wonder if I am the only former member left?

You’ve got Trunker under ERF instead of under Scammell! That leaves ERF with no name so I’ll provide one: the European. Robert :slight_smile:

all of AEC’S trucks start with an M matador,majestic, mandator,mercury, monarch, militant, mustang, marshall, marshall minor, marshall major, marshall 6, mammoth, mammoth minor, mammoth major , mogul, phew! PS does the sabrina count towards erf?

Thornycroft Nubian.

Maudslays all had names out of the Indian Raj: Maharanee, Maharajah, Mogul, Meritor… Beats the hell out names like Eurostar, Eurotech and Eurotrakker! Robert :laughing:

As a proud Cornishman I’ll add one to the list, built in Dobwalls near Liskeard:

Rowe - Hillmaster

How about that for an evocative name; if only it had been true (the handful of Rowe lorries I’ve witnessed in action seemed more akin to Hill-struggler)

~ Craig

Craig 111:
As a proud Cornishman I’ll add one to the list, built in Dobwalls near Liskeard:

Rowe - Hillmaster

How about that for an evocative name; if only it had been true (the handful of Rowe lorries I’ve witnessed in action seemed more akin to Hill-struggler)

~ Craig

I reckon a picture of one of these vehicles with that proud name should go on the ‘Really nasty hills’ thread! Robert :slight_smile:

Perhaps we should start a retroactive marketing campaign for Rowe’s finest Robert? Something along the lines of:

“You’ve got a nasty hill? . . . We’ve got the Hillmaster!”

Anyway, here’s a pic of a friend’s father with the Hillmaster he drove back in the dark ages.

As we’d say back in Kernow: “T’was sum 'andsome lorry”

~ Craig

Craig 111:
Perhaps we should start a retroactive marketing campaign for Rowe’s finest Robert? Something along the lines of:

“You’ve got a nasty hill? . . . We’ve got the Hillmaster!”

Anyway, here’s a pic of a friend’s father with the Hillmaster he drove back in the dark ages.

As we’d say back in Kernow: “T’was sum 'andsome lorry”

~ Craig

It MUST have been handsome: he looks as if he’s just married it! Proper driver! Robert :laughing:

I’d liked to have seen that Hillmaster fully loaded going up out of Launceston toward Holsworthy!

Good idea to highlight the typification in names.

OM (Officine Meccaniche) in Brescia named their truck range according to capacity to animals:

Orsetto, Daino, Lupetto, Cerbiatto, Leoncino, Tigrotto were common names and appearances
on Continental roads during the seventies and eighties

Lancia in Turin named their vans and trucks:

Jolly, Super Jolly, Esaro, Esadelta, Esagamme

Alfa Romeo in Milan named their vans and trucks:

Romeo, Romeo 2*, Romeo 3*, Mille, Mille A

There were also various nicknames:

Mercedes-Benz LP333/LPS333 (Chinese six, twin-steer) was called Tausendfussler

DAF FA/FT2600 was called Jukebox

hiya Jennings of Sandach made the cabs for hillmaster
John

Hiya Robert robert robert what can i say EEEEEEERRRRRFFFFFFF did’nt use names !!! what about poor old Sabrina…well i never.
that,s a red card you know…it might even be some type of epitaph in your book…LOL
John

3300John:
hiya Jennings of Sandach made the cabs for hillmaster
John

So that’s why they looked so good! :wink: