Mystery solved

Driving on motorway at night a couple of times drivers in trucks would flash me as they were about to come passed . I always wondered why do that ? Is something wrong with my trailer , same company driver or just giving me heads up on there overtake. So just come back from turkey and both my tranfers to and from hotel at night and it seem this is a regular thing between professional drivers at night in foreign countries so no more sleepless nights for me lol . Thought i would share that with ye all.

Not something I’ve experienced tbh. I’m not saying that you may be wandering out of your lane of course, but that would be a reason that I’d flash a truck prior to overtaking it.

Had it a couple of times but normally from car drivers, especially those same with LED lights…must think they’re overtaking a back marker in Le Mans or summat!! Didn’t the foreign drivers used do it as a sign they were there/coming past another one back on home soil?

To add, if any strange words appear, it seems there’s a bit of an issue with the predictive text etc and iOS is throwing random words in when it fancies!

Just basically… here mate check your mirrors I’m about to pass don’t fall asleep on me son :laughing:

As any professional driver knows, you should only flash your headlights to warn other drivers or pedestrians of an impending dangerous situation, or to alert them of your presence (similar to correct use of the claxon). The uk habit of flashing headlights to let other people out of a junction or change lane is actually in breach of the highway code.

the nodding donkey:
As any professional driver knows, you should only flash your headlights to warn other drivers or pedestrians of an impending dangerous situation, or to alert them of your presence (similar to correct use of the claxon). The uk habit of flashing headlights to let other people out of a junction or change lane is actually in breach of the highway code.

Yes, yes. Well done. Back to sleep now…

merc0447:
Just basically… here mate check your mirrors I’m about to pass don’t fall asleep on me son :laughing:

:smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing:

The Sarge:

the nodding donkey:

Yes, yes. Well done. Back to sleep now…

Absolutely.It’s much better to have a system of reversal of priorities based on defensive driving techniques.But in which the lights musn’t be used to communicate the reversal.Only as a warning that you’re going through on the basis of they should and therefore will give way. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Dad was reasonably old-school and told me it was polite to flash someone before you overtake them, to let them know. Usually on A/B roads as a safety thing. You indicate to inform everyone of your intention, so why not this. As a biker, I think it may stop someone you’re about to overtake turning right as you do it… The fact it’s not in today’s Highway Code is perhaps a reflection of a possible erosion in politeness…

the nodding donkey:

I did see an accident I assumed was a flash for cash. Driver on main road flashed someone out of a side street then drove (slowly) into them as they started to pull out. Of course they had three passengers who all held their necks in pain. I stopped to offer assistance but would love to know the outcome of it.
Anyway, lesson learnt, never trust a (car) driver who flashes you out.

A lot of drivers in Portugal put there emergency flashers on when climbing hills on motorways and dual carriageways as a warning not to run into the back of them in daylight even.

Numbum:
A lot of drivers in Portugal put there emergency flashers on when climbing hills on motorways and dual carriageways as a warning not to run into the back of them in daylight even.

Saw that quite a bit in the US and also coming out of short slip lanes when travelling noticeably slower than the speed limit.

aye less than 60kph on a highway and not up to highway speed on wae the blinkers same in canada

Sumsmeister:
Dad was reasonably old-school and told me it was polite to flash someone before you overtake them, to let them know. Usually on A/B roads as a safety thing. You indicate to inform everyone of your intention, so why not this. As a biker, I think it may stop someone you’re about to overtake turning right as you do it… The fact it’s not in today’s Highway Code is perhaps a reflection of a possible erosion in politeness…

This is right. For all you young whipper snappers that are either wet behind the ears or only class 2, or heaven forbid, both… or even agency; It comes from A and B roads way back when. Example is, you’re driving along in the dark on an A road with bends and hills and one lane either way. A faster lorry catches you, pulls out slightly and flashes lights, this means is it safe to pass. No full beam flash means no, but a full beam flash from the overtakee :wink: means yes, drop the lead, it’s all clear.

Ps, Only joking about class two. I drove one one day. :slight_smile:

Very common in Thailand , pick up trucks, cars, will flash you day and night when overtaking you

peterm:

Sumsmeister:

This is right. For all you young whipper snappers that are either wet behind the ears or only class 2, or heaven forbid, both… or even agency; It comes from A and B roads way back when. Example is, you’re driving along in the dark on an A road with bends and hills and one lane either way. A faster lorry catches you, pulls out slightly and flashes lights, this means is it safe to pass. No full beam flash means no, but a full beam flash from the overtakee :wink: means yes, drop the lead, it’s all clear.

It was also common to have to light a fire under the truck in the morning, to get the diesel flowing. It was also common to use a starting handle to start the engine. It was also common to hand ball a load of bricks. Or 50kg bags of flower, coal, etc. It was also common to hot bunk in flea ridden digs. Change tyres.
Life was so much better then

the maoster:
Not something I’ve experienced tbh. I’m not saying that you may be wandering out of your lane of course, but that would be a reason that I’d flash a truck prior to overtaking it.

Nope very much straight and in my lane lol.

the nodding donkey:

peterm:

Sumsmeister:

It was also common to have to light a fire under the truck in the morning, to get the diesel flowing. It was also common to use a starting handle to start the engine. It was also common to hand ball a load of bricks. Or 50kg bags of flower, coal, etc. It was also common to hot bunk in flea ridden digs. Change tyres.
Life was so much better then

Did you reply to the wrong post there, or are you pished ?

peterm:

Sumsmeister:

This may well be from the golden age of driving, but there are 2 things wrong with this mentality. Firstly, the assumption that overtaking is necessary and secondly having another driver make decisions for you about whether you should pass them or not. While it’s heart-warming to exchange multiple pleasantries with one another it’s better if everyone just knows the law (or highway code) and applies it to themselves alone. It’s actually designed to eliminate confusion. We’re not all robots, however.

Incidentally when driving in Italy, I soon discovered that flashing of lights basically means ‘stay the hell out of my way’ which is opposite of what it means in UK.

Another of those whippersnappers that needs a sense of humour injection.