My training and test experiences

OK, the time has come!

I promised ROG that I would write a mini blog of my course and test and having read the excellent report by 8wheels (he needs a new name after passing his C+E!! :smiley: ), and with the new thread that places resources for newbies in one place up and running, itā€™s my time to join in the funā€¦

DAY 1 - Arrived at the test centre before trainer and sidekick arrived, and as luck would have it, there was an early C test (different trainer). Failed before he even started - allowed his front o/s wheel to cross the yellow line. Trainer now shows up and we get into the vehicle. Parked perfectly for us to witness the controlled stop. Guy didnā€™t appear to hit 20mph - but was allowed to proceed out of the TC. Trainer himself said he must have already failedā€¦ Vowed that if I was to fail, it wouldnā€™t be in the TC!

Partner in crime turns up a few minutes late - as a ā€œforfeitā€ he gets first drive. Gentle introduction - he drives to Fraserburgh and I drive back. Length no problem - but lorry wider than I thought. Was taking up almost all of the lane and the gears took some getting used to, but I mastered them by the end of the day. In the afternoon, a test route each. His positioning and driving in general better than mine - though the gearbox was causing him problems. Felt that I had an awful lot to do in the space of a weekā€¦

DAY 2 - Arrived early again - no test, so was unable to amuse myself with someone elseā€™s misfortune. Sidekick went first again - another test route. Same went for me. Found it a bit of a struggle, if truth be told. Was prone to going rather wide on both left and right turns - having read this forum, I was rather scared of hitting kerbs. Found the air brakes a struggle too - werenā€™t pulling me up as quickly as I was accustomed to in the car - trainer nipped my head about standing on them on more than one occasion - but now had the gearbox sussed. Some driving round the industrial estates/back roads in the afternoon.

DAY 3 - Later start - trainer had a C test first thing so no lorry! Arrived in time to see him return to the TC - good news - he PASSED! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: This made my day! Another test route each - then a REAL test in a manner of speaking! If youā€™re familiar at all with Aberdeen, you will know about the nightmare that is Anderson Drive. Partner had the job of driving us down the length of this stretch - umpteen roundabouts and all! Had its rewards though - ended up at a brilliant burger van at Altens. Trainer said it served the best chilli in town - but by the time we got there, there was none left!!! :smiling_imp: Made do with curry and chips - fine enough! My turn now - and the drive back was going well until I had my first encounter with a kerb - cut in too sharply at the roundabout at Cromwell Road. :blush: Arrived at the bottom of the road with a further mishap - stopped with the tail of truck over a crossing. Was told that this would be an instant fail! :blush: Our day ended with a drive through the industrial estates in the northern part of the town and the connecting back roads.

DAY 4 - Trainer was overseeing a PCV test, so only time for sidekick to have a drive. Returned back at TC an hour later - driver FAILED. :frowning: Rear of bus clipped a kerb - game over. My turn at the wheel now - another test route. Then up Anderson Drive again and that burger van once more. This time there was chilli - and it was really BEAUTIFUL!!! :smiley: :smiley: Driving much better now - totally used to the vehicle and its quirks now. Back to back takes us back to base - and our first taste of the reverse! He goes first - makes not a bad job of it. My turn nowā€¦ :blush: Start moving back, see the first cone coming into view, see the barrier, check n/s mirror, see the first cone getting closer, notice that Iā€™m missing it, now check o/s mirrorā€¦ notice sidekick waving frantically so stop, get out to see what the commotion is. Oh dear!! :blush: Gone over the cone on my offside! Trainer said; Youā€™ve KILLED it! :blush: Totally MURDERED it!! :blush: :blush: And not only that - youā€™ve completely FLATTENED it!!! :blush: :blush: :blush:. Once the corpse of the cone was revived and unflattened, had another few goes. No further disasters here! Finished off with another drive each - I drew the short straw, having to take the truck through an awful narrow windy road - 10mph in places - but we survived and I felt much better for it. Rounded off with a couple of controlled stops.

DAY 5 - Back to back had his test first - 8.45 am. I arrived just before 10 am hoping to catch him - but I was too late. Trainer told me that he had FAILED :frowning: :frowning: front o/s wheel crossed the yellow line on the reverse and he took a junction too wide. Really felt for him - thought that he was a better driver than me. Thought that if he was going to fail on anything, it would be the gears which game him problems all week.

Further drive for me - then lunch. Butterflies going now - so no chilli! Just a chicken sandwichā€¦ More reverses and controlled stops - then a stop for fuel. Thenā€¦ to the test centre for my date with destiny. Warned that the regular LGV examiner here was DEATH on mirrorsā€¦ Was a few minutes late - apparently there was a meeting - and this did wonders for my nerves! :unamused: :wink: Got through the safety questions OK - next the reverse. This went OK - just moved off the clutch, made sure that I didnā€™t touch the yellow line, had my look behind, saw that I was a foot short, gently rolled back. Thought that I was OK - but tester had a right good look! Controlled stop went like a dream - even in my nervous state I could see that!

The drive got off to a nervy start. The road from the TC is rather narrow with vehicles parked on one side of the road, and itā€™s rather busy, so I had to manoeuvre very carefully. Just grateful not to hit anything! On the main road now - nice smooth drive to start with, but driving rather warily. Long downhill stretch to a roundabout had my nerves going - but used the gearbox and managed to pull up safely. Traffic queue held us up a few minutes - thought that Iā€™d get a nice short test! Chance would be a fine thingā€¦

Turned left at the next roundabout. Plenty of room to turn, so no problem with the kerb. Right turn at the roundabout after that. Signalled right - but it cancelled itself. Didnā€™t notice for a few seconds - and picked up a minor for it. Dreaded getting this road on test - cars parked on both sides - but despite a couple of stops, got through it safely enough. Was getting well tested on mirrors though! Right turn at next roundabout - noticed examiner looking in mirrors - so knew hill start was coming. Took a while to get going - traffic flow was quite busy - but moved off safely enough. Within seconds though there was a silver Transit looming large in my mirror - another one of those heart in mouth moments!

Next roundabout - solid flow of traffic blocking me, so had to pull up. Used the handbrake as I was on something of a slope - but noticed a bus blocking the flow. Time to move off - but bus was quicker than Iā€™d anticipated. Moved off safely enough - but cars from the next exit started roaring out. Knew that I would have had more than enough time in a car - but never realised how slow trucks can be from a standing start. Thought that Iā€™d well nigh blown it - but tried to comfort myself by saying that lorries do this to me regularly and that the fat lady hadnā€™t sang yetā€¦

Then to crown it all, when I took my exit, there was a cyclist in front of me. The road has islands dotted along the middle and was quite busy. For the guts of a mile, there were no passing opportunities! No choice but to sit in at 10mph with a huge tailback in my wake!

Finally we turn off - and now the downhill start. No problem here. After a few more event free junctions, the angled start. Feeling that I had failed, I forgot to check my blind spot (though not mirrors). Another minorā€¦

Next, the notorious Haudagain Roundabout - and a left hand turn! Had to take up half the middle lane on approach - very nervous remember! - and thought that Iā€™d made another pigā€™s ear of it! Had to wait ages for something that resembled a safe gap - but thought that Iā€™d missed a couple of (admittedly tight) chances. Thought that undue hesitation would be marked down. Instead got a minor for taking a little too much roadā€¦

From here on in, I resigned myself to my fate and said better use the rest of the test to get myself into shape for next time. Nice smooth drive back to the TC.

Waited for trainer to return. Examiner broke the news to me - ā€œThe good news is that youā€™ve PASSED!!!ā€ Couldnā€™t believe it! Thought that it was a rubbish drive! Tester commented that the drive back was really smooth - which I thought was something else when I felt like emptying the contents of my stomach out of the window! Then again, I was maybe exaggerating the bad stuff with my nerves!

So that was that! Iā€™m not finished yet - still got my C+E to come - but after this ordeal, I know that Iā€™ll be equipped to handle the stress that goes with it

Well done Lez,

It was probably you berating yourself for small things that made it seem worse than it was. I had a similar experience on my rigid test, but at the end of the day itā€™s almost inevitable mistakes will happen and youā€™ll notch up some minors. Best not to panic about them and keep away from the serious & dangerouses.

well done on passing

when I did my test I thought I had blown it on a roundabout but seemingly the examiner only gave me aminor for it

nice diary :smiley: :smiley:
now iā€™ll have to do a link to that in the ā€˜indexā€™ :unamused: :wink: :slight_smile: