My Thoughts with Driver....Poor Sod

from twitter

A50 Westbound at Uttoxeter, alleged jumper from bridge

Must have been a BIG one. There’s not enough distance between the bridge rail and the top of the cab to accelerate a (regular) falling human body to a speed high enough to do the damage shown here. If this was done by a jumper indeed, well…truck cabs are squishy

ETS:
Must have been a BIG one. There’s not enough distance between the bridge rail and the top of the cab to accelerate a (regular) falling human body to a speed high enough to do the damage shown here. If this was done by a jumper indeed, well…truck cabs are squishy

0 to 56mph in .003s is plenty of acceleration

Its a good job they have covered the name up on the trailer or it could be easily confused with Gwynedd Shippng.

Wheel Nut:

ETS:

:blush:

Why thoughts to driver? The person under the harp wanted to die. Driver never ran over said person deliberately.

Granted he might have got a fright but it is no more so than splatting a deer on a country road when flat out. Fright then crack on next day.

cgscott:
Why thoughts to driver? The person under the harp wanted to die. Driver never ran over said person deliberately.

Granted he might have got a fright but it is no more so than splatting a deer on a country road when flat out. Fright then crack on next day.

Seriously mate…you do talk absolute ■■■■■■■■ sometimes. :unamused:
I’m one of the coolest headed laid back guys you could meet…but a pile of blood and guts crashing through my windscreen, and the guy ending up maybe draped over me?
Brain/gear/mouth. :bulb:

robroy:

cgscott:

Seriously mate…you do talk absolute ■■■■■■■■ sometimes. :unamused:
I’m one of the coolest headed laid back guys you could meet…but a pile of blood and guts crashing through my windscreen, and the guy ending up maybe draped over me?
Brain/gear/mouth. :bulb:

You forgot the kittens Rob… always think of the kittens.

The jumper didn’t go through the screen, he’s obviously fallen down the front and ended up underneath the unit, hence the tarp down the side. Terrifying none the less.

I think the driver did well to keep that in a straight line. I wonder if he had seem the jumper, and had a split second to prepare/close his eyes?

Wheel Nut:

ETS:

Exactly. The fall downwards might be is 9.8m/s/s but the impact with the front of the volvo is 56mph almost instantaneously, so I must agree with the concept detailed above… It is the SIDEWAYS impact that has done the damage to both cab and deceased here. The crumpled top front “corner” would be the point where downward velocity can effectively be added to the sideways 56mph impact, assuming the driver was on the limiter, which is a fair assumption on a dual carriageway road… The blue plastic curtain presumably shows where the deceased ended up, but I can’t tell from that picture if the route to final destination here was over the top, and down the back by the catwalk - or straight down the front, and then underneath the cab.

…And there was me thinking just this week that I’m now driving the very best kit I’ve ever had to drive - THIS model! :frowning: :open_mouth:

If that was a train driver that it happened to, they would be off work on full pay with counciling. Then gently returned to work with full support. Can you see that happening for an hgv driver ?

Just wondering if the Volvo accident research dept in Göteborg will want to examine this unusual accident? With all the crash testing that goes on I bet they never factor in human jumpers. Does seem a lot of damage though.

not a lot on the internet about this.
all it says is an incident between a truck and pedestrian.
personally cant see how anyone who jumped can cause that much damage to the roof.
there must be more to surley.

and i hope he works for a good company. who will give him as much time off as needed and some sort of councling.
ill be surpised though if the poor fella ever gets behind a wheel again.

edd1974:
and i hope he works for a good company. who will give him as much time off as needed and some sort of councling.
ill be surpised though if the poor fella ever gets behind a wheel again.

+1…

Odd days:
If that was a train driver that it happened to, they would be off work on full pay with counciling. Then gently returned to work with full support. Can you see that happening for an hgv driver ?

+1.

What a dreadful shock for all involved, driver, family of the deceased and the emergency services having to deal with it.

cgscott:

Grow up and have some respect. Someone was in a very bad place and isn’t going home to loved ones and someone Carter is most likely over and will likely be traumatised for life.

cgscott:

You sir…are a twunt

Knew a guy who was a train driver and had a jumper. Couldn’t go back to driving trains after that even moved away from down south to the Midlands to get away from the area and job. Started driving a 7.5 tonner and poor sod had another person commit Hari Kari in his 7.5 tonner. Gave up driving for a living for the second time cause he just could not deal with the same things happening in 2 different jobs in 2 different counties.

Once is bad enough twice just shocking.

Any company no matter how good or bad should give the driver all the time he or she needs but it might not make any difference as they may never get behind the wheel of a truck again.

short walk:
Just wondering if the Volvo accident research dept in Göteborg will want to examine this unusual accident? With all the crash testing that goes on I bet they never factor in human jumpers. Does seem a lot of damage though.

The point of impact is the weak point in a Volvo cab. Because the glass sun-roof takes up so much space its relatively weak there. They are astonishingly strong in a front impact and amazing when a full load of bricks tries to travel in the bunk based on photos I’ve seen.

poor driver…nobody wants or needs that in the middle of their working day.
the rajpot jumper wouldnt have one iota of thought for anyone else but their own demons rattling around in their head.
if they had,then they would have tossed off their mortal coils elsewhere .
it still means someone has to clean up the corpse,but better someone trained for it and someone on the cruise listening to the radio then bang.a world of crap enters the rest of his life.

Winseer:

Wheel Nut:

ETS:

Exactly. The fall downwards might be is 9.8m/s/s but the impact with the front of the volvo is 56mph almost instantaneously, so I must agree with the concept detailed above… It is the SIDEWAYS impact that has done the damage to both cab and deceased here. The crumpled top front “corner” would be the point where downward velocity can effectively be added to the sideways 56mph impact, assuming the driver was on the limiter, which is a fair assumption on a dual carriageway road… The blue plastic curtain presumably shows where the deceased ended up, but I can’t tell from that picture if the route to final destination here was over the top, and down the back by the catwalk - or straight down the front, and then underneath the cab.

…And there was me thinking just this week that I’m now driving the very best kit I’ve ever had to drive - THIS model! :frowning: :open_mouth:

The cab did its job, it did`nt disintegrate :open_mouth:

Many years ago, an O/D in his M.A.N had this on the A38 s/b at Fradley, when the bridge was pretty new…the woman hit the top of his cab on the n/s just off centre, it looked like he had hit a bridge support when it was towed back into the yard…

He never drove again, her lower torso ended up on his bed, and the upper part strewn all over his flatbed load of steel…

It was pretty harrowing, and that was after the event, and the body removed, god know what it was like in real time :frowning:

reckon for every one you get to hear about theres 5 or is it 10?that you dont . i used to live near the Forth Bridge and jumpers never made the papers at all.A guy whose brother was tasked to go out in a boat to pick up bodies told me every bone in their bodies was broken