My Second Shift

Hello All

My second shift has been in absolute contrast to the first, absolutely amazing. :smiley:

First run; collect lorry and full trailer for a tip at Normanton.
The company staff were brilliant and took me firmly under their wing. The lorry, a newish (09) Volvo FH I-shift that was clean and pulled like a good-un. The trailer, brand new kit and the curtains worked. The depot staff couldn’t help me enough.

Second run; collect another lorry and full trailer for a tip at Goole.
The company staff again brilliant. This time a slightly older (06) Daf XF 4/4 manual splitter that again was clean and pulled like a train with a new trailer.

In the end I was out for 11 ½ hours, which seemed to fly by even though there was quite a bit of waiting around to be tipped. This wasn’t so bad actually as I had a chance to chat to quite a few time-served drivers and a few of Stobbarts lads. As I suspected, it’s not quite as cushty as Trucks & Trailers! :laughing: None the less it was nice to chat to the old school that are very helpful and patient with us new lads.

One very important lesson learned last night though. I felt quite proud of myself after spinning the truck round and making a near perfect reverse on to the loading dock inch perfect between the guide rails, job done or so I thought……then I remembered that I hadn’t opened the back door…der! :blush:

I know that RDC’s are quite easy for manoeuvring around and backing up but at least you have plenty of space to cut your teeth.

I’ve just secured a couple of weeks work starting tomorrow pulling steel on days…. that’ll be fun! I’ll let you know how I get on.

RJ :slight_smile:

Take extra care to make sure your load is secure on the steel. If using straps see that they’re in good condition and where they pass over any steel edges protect the straps with something which should be provided. Good luck!