My rant about drivers

Why are some drivers so stupid that it does not make sense?
Yesterday whilst on the M56 driving at 52 mph (cos thats all the motor will do) I pulled over into the centre lane to let an ERF 18 tonner from Lynx parcels join the motorway. Now when someone does this for me I hold back on the throttle to let them past and then get up to cruising speed but he cant do this, he has to speed up on the inside and then force me to brake so that he can pull out before going up the ■■■ of the truck in front of him.
The day before whilst heading along the M4 towards London a truck from Brake Bros Yate depot decides to overtake me which is ok by me except that he does not wait until he is past me before returning to the inside lane. No I have to brake and swerve onto the hard shoulder. Now this truck was no good on the hills and as I was nearly empty I easily went past him on the next hill (waiting until I was well past him before pulling in.) A while later he’s alongside me again and bugger if he dont try to take the front off my truck again.
Now you expect crap driving from some of the car drivers on the road but some of the truck drivers need to sit down and contemplate if they are in the correct job as the only thing professional about some of them is their mother!!

Rant over and I feel better now!

it happens every day you pull out to let them onto motorway then they sit their at same speed.

Unless I’m obviously much faster then the truck letting me out I always hold back for them to pull in in front of me. Common courtesy :open_mouth:

THIS may be of interest :slight_smile:
and THIS

gardun:
Unless I’m obviously much faster then the truck letting me out I always hold back for them to pull in in front of me. Common courtesy :open_mouth:

Surely its for traffic joining the main carriageway to do so without disrupting the flow of that traffic. Whilst im sure we all try to accomodate vehicles joining the main flow, it shouldn’t affect your flow,or those behind you. I can’t pretend I dont get annoyed when a vehicle in front of me slows down to let someone join the main carriageway, and subsequently causes my progress to be impeded.

gb1:

gardun:

Surely its for traffic joining the main carriageway to do so without disrupting the flow of that traffic. Whilst im sure we all try to accomodate vehicles joining the main flow, it shouldn’t affect your flow,or those behind you. I can’t pretend I dont get annoyed when a vehicle in front of me slows down to let someone join the main carriageway, and subsequently causes my progress to be impeded.

Depends by how much and was it necessary - put yourself in the joining vehicles place - would they have been totally “boxed in” if no-one gave them some consideration in the circumstances that were presented at the time?
With ‘good driving practices’ it can be that a driver uses the lesser of two evils.

ROG:

gb1:

gardun:

Depends by how much and was it necessary - put yourself in the joining vehicles place - would they have been totally “boxed in” if no-one gave them some consideration in the circumstances that were presented at the time?
With ‘good driving practices’ it can be that a driver uses the lesser of two evils.

Good point about ‘good driving practices’, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, but don’t you feel there seems to be an increasing number of drivers who seem to feel that they have the right to merge regardless of traffic flow on the main carriageway. I had an incident a while back where an Asda artic tried to force its way on to the main carriageway when I was halfway down the side of him. I was unable to move over because of passing traffic, and to have slowed sufficiently to let him out would have resulted in the stream of trucks behind me having to brake agressively. He ended up in the grass as he obviously didnt know where the brake pedal was on his Scania! About 5mins later he came flying past, obviously also unaware of the 50mph speed limit on the A1.

Ive noticed a worrying trend with some drivers simply slowing to 40mph on the slip road and moving into lane 1 regardless of whats there. Nearly gave a micra a nice smack up the bum a few months ago like this. Thing is there was nothing behind me or infront of me and I couldnt change lanes due to a car in lane 2. The micra simply pulled out about 4 car lengths infront of me dispite there being about 100 yards of slip road left. Should professional drivers anticipate and take action to avoid situations like this or should there be better training in motorway driving for learners?

Lankytim:
Ive noticed a worrying trend with some drivers simply slowing to 40mph on the slip road and moving into lane 1 regardless of whats there. Nearly gave a micra a nice smack up the bum a few months ago like this. Thing is there was nothing behind me or infront of me and I couldnt change lanes due to a car in lane 2. The micra simply pulled out about 4 car lengths infront of me dispite there being about 100 yards of slip road left. Should professional drivers anticipate and take action to avoid situations like this or should there be better training in motorway driving for learners?

The problem is that regardless of you anticipating the potential problem, you cant be sure that the vehicle behind you has done so. Therefore, i’d suggest better training. As its not permitted for car learner drivers to use the m-ways, why does’nt the government insist on a period of m-way training immediately after passing the test?

Perhaps a seperate motorway test is called for. Motorists cant go on the motorways without dedicated training and passing a test.

Lankytim:
Perhaps a seperate motorway test is called for. Motorists cant go on the motorways without dedicated training and passing a test.

I came past the MK junction this morning and noticed a white Vauxhall coming down the sliproad, as I drew level with the car near the motorway, he slowed down and did a three point turn and went back up the sliproad :open_mouth:

It must have been his sat nav, “Turn around when possible”

I didnt believe what I was seeing :confused:

Lankytim:

Question - what is the difference in speed or safety between entering a 70mph dual or a motorway via a slip road :question:

ROG:

Lankytim:

Question - what is the difference in speed or safety between entering a 70mph dual or a motorway via a slip road :question:

None, so perhaps some instructors are’nt quite up to scratch with their tuition.

bristolron:
Why are some drivers so stupid that it does not make sense?
Yesterday whilst on the M56 driving at 52 mph (cos thats all the motor will do) I pulled over into the centre lane to let an ERF 18 tonner from Lynx parcels join the motorway. Now when someone does this for me I hold back on the throttle to let them past and then get up to cruising speed but he cant do this, he has to speed up on the inside and then force me to brake so that he can pull out before going up the ■■■ of the truck in front of him.
The day before whilst heading along the M4 towards London a truck from Brake Bros Yate depot decides to overtake me which is ok by me except that he does not wait until he is past me before returning to the inside lane. No I have to brake and swerve onto the hard shoulder. Now this truck was no good on the hills and as I was nearly empty I easily went past him on the next hill (waiting until I was well past him before pulling in.) A while later he’s alongside me again and bugger if he dont try to take the front off my truck again.
Now you expect crap driving from some of the car drivers on the road but some of the truck drivers need to sit down and contemplate if they are in the correct job as the only thing professional about some of them is their mother!!

Rant over and I feel better now!

The highlighted bit is the point you’re missing. Nowadays we don’t have good truck drivers anymore. We have “drivers” (and I use that term loosely) who have a piece of paper to say they can legally drive any truck combination of any size and any weight, and that is where the problem lies. :open_mouth:

The days of me pulling out to lane 2 to let stuff merge from standard dual carriageway and motorway slip ramps is long gone and if that means them running alongside me on the hard shoulder or grass verge then so be it - not my problem.

gb1:

ROG:

Lankytim:

None, so perhaps some instructors are’nt quite up to scratch with their tuition.

Ok, thats the answer I expected. So, if there is no difference then WHY O WHY do we not let car learners onto our motorways (where there is one available) :question:

The days of me pulling out to lane 2 to let stuff merge from standard dual carriageway and motorway slip ramps is long gone and if that means them running alongside me on the hard shoulder or grass verge then so be it - not my problem.

Wot he said.

And welcome back Rob … be a good boy now eh :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

ROG:

We know that there is little difference, however, new drivers often have an irrational fear of motorways, simply because they have not been allowed on it when they are learning - so they quite logically think (not words I often use when discussing car drivers :unamused: ) that it MUST be a lot different/more dangerous etc. We should either take away the ‘fear of the unknown’ element by allowing learners on, or as has been suggested, have a further test before newly qualified drivers can use it (the better option IMHO)

do any of the training bodies have access to gov or dsa to tell them there is a real problem here . and make some sugestions as to what can be done about it

fuse:
do any of the training bodies have access to gov or dsa to tell them there is a real problem here . and make some sugestions as to what can be done about it

Already done so via my MP but it makes no odds - the DfT/DSA say that they know what is best and thats that :exclamation: (well, not exactly those words but it meant the same)
They do not have competition in the driver testing area so they can do what they want.

we need more like you then rog to care and see or write to these bodies,i would like to ree the accident stats for this manouver