My quest for a decent tramping job

…has led me to think about Irish companies…but suddenly realised that i don’t actually know much about them.

So if anyone has any useful info on them…or any UK firms that might be looking for a middle aged, slightly overweight, but reliable hard working driver…all thoughts gratefully received.

So far, all of the transport companies that i have applied for advertised vacancies for haven’t even had the decency to email me back…even if it was a No thanks…that would be nice!

whereabouts do you live if it’s in the north west you should have no problems getting work with an irish firm. The majority have cleaned up their act now and are running legal although you will still see the inside of the odd weighbridge or two, generally you are paid by the day regardless of what you do but it usually balances out over a week most firms in the north are paying around £90 a day in your hand. pm me if you want info on any specfic companys

McBurneys do a lot of runs from my works depot (frozen food retailer in NW) to and from Ireland all the time, they’re in and out daily. I think they may have a depot/head office in Liverpool? Sorry I can’t be specific, just what I’ve seen on the side of the cabs.

Montgomery, McBurney, Woodside and O’Reilly all have depots In the NW of england and some other companies will have units based at the ports.

As has been said its usually a day rate and most will expect a full but legal days work for their pound. If you fancy europe then its usually 6 cards then 24 off followed by 6 more cards and home for the 45. Talking to a mate who lives in NI then £80-£100 a day is about the going rate these days. Rates in the south are slightly higher but remember you’ll loose 20%ish converting back to sterling.

It’s a bit of a sweeping statement but If you want it by the book look for work with a company pulling its own trailers. It tends to be the subbies that get pushed and a decked out V8 with a big name fridge on the back will usually be pushing it the hardest.

I can’t really recommend any firms in particular but just talk to a few drivers and look at whats around. I worked for Montgomery in the mid 90s on the european, as against Irish, side and it was the easiest, most laid back job I’ve ever had.

If you fancy heading for southern Europe I have been told that some southern firms are looking for midlands based drivers because doing it legally you can’t turn a trip in a week to southern Ireland. Don’t know how true this is but it won’t hurt to ask.

Cheers
Neilf

Dont bother sending emails, you’ll very rarely get an answer to them. Obviously its not really an option to get in the car and drive over to see them if they’re in Ireland unless you make a trip of it and see several but at the very least you should try phoning, that way you’re talking to a real person who has to at least consider what you’re saying and respond to you. Emails just get forgotten about, if they’re even read in the first place.

try Montgomeries and woodside in preston, think montgomeries are on preston docks, mcburnlys and mulgrew have a few drivers based round morecambe lancaster that take units home at weekends,

O’Reilleys tend not to do tramping runs, just occasional nights out and have no vacancies at the mo

where in the north west are you, have you tried any firms round manchester, or boxes at liverpool docks

I’m not in the NW…i in the West Midlands/North Worcestershire area.

Preston has had a working dock for nearly 50 years there on Walton summit not far from Woodside’s
As said unless you go for dhl nd etc then you always going to have grey areas on what’s expected of you

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express