My progress so far

Hi all

Just thought I would post an update of how I am getting on.

First of all my name is Dave and I am 26 from Reading. I work on the loading bay for a local super market - which is where I discovered that I wanted to become an HGV driver.
Anyway…

Since this I have passed both my theory and hazard perception tests first time, which in all honesty was pretty straight forward.
Now I have my provisional license I contacted the training school (Wallace School of Transport) regarding training dates and I am waiting to hear back from my current employer whether I can have the time off from the 12th-18th December to do my Class 2 training and test. The test will be on a Thursday morning.

Providing I pass this (and do my CPC) I am going to go straight into my Class 1 training as realistically driving an artic is what I want to do as a career. With the intention to sign onto a couple of agencies in Reading in hope of finding my feet in the industry and continuing onto finding permanent work somewhere that I am happy.

I am both nervous and excited about the whole ordeal so I thought writing a post on here might help me deal with it a little bit!

I’m also growing a beard until I have reached my goals - just for fun.

Cheers,
Dave.

Are you intending to give up your current job and go to agency or do current job and drive on days off?

Keep on with the beard and don’t shave for 3 months which will give you a good indication of what type of beard you will own. Once you reach the 3 month stage then you can go for the ‘yeard!’ :sunglasses:

I intend to keep my current job and work agency on my days off and leave when I find something permanent.

Lol yeard ftw

dave_garner:
I intend to keep my current job and work agency on my days off and leave when I find something permanent.

In that case if you work say mon to fri then you can only do one day driving every other weekend due to weekly rest rule compliance

In a fixed week where you drive under EU regs the other job must be officially recorded as it counts as other work for the regs
Easiest way to officially record is to use separate analogue cards or digi print out paper and make a separate record for each day worked with your name date start and finish time
After each one of those records get to 29 calendar days it can be binned

Ah, I wasn’t aware of this.

I work 4 nights a week 39 hours with three consecutive days off.
I could cut down my hours but would need to do some research before I understand fully.