My Possible Agency Debut, Advice welcome :D

Hey There Guys
Been a little while since I have posted, just wanted to run this question through with other Drivers before i go and knock on Agency’s doors, I’ll just fill you in a little bit on my situation. I have been employed the last 7 years with BP and have just left after new owners took over and scared everyone away, good timing as i had recently passed my CPC Module 4, so I’m based in Halesowen to be exact but have a partner iin Redditch so can commute there as a 2nd option.

So If i walk into an agency i will have entitlements on C & C+E, however i have “No” HGV experience, due to my garage job, so what do i expect them to do as I’m totally new to this line of work and agency’s to be honest, I’m willing to work rigids before artics and willing in the future to do my HIAB ADR & Moffett Courses ,work preference would be Artic Fridge units if i could choose, but understand i will have to work on it :wink: sorry to blabber on any help would be great. Wilko77fc :slight_smile:

Hi Wilko
One thing to remember is everyone that passed thier C or C+E has no experience, talk to an agency you mihht be surprised, there is pertemps in west Bromwich or breeze in Bilston.
Knock on doors of companies by you,there is enough posts on here from newbies getting full time jobs direct.
Getting out and taking your cv to companies is the best way, they will know who might take you on if they havent any jobs going.

Jeff.

For agencies,record all work activity in a diary or photocopy the analogue tacho,the old style round paper discs.
Or printout every day worked if in a digital tacho.
This is proof of hours worked.
They have a habit of not paying correctly and hope drivers do not check to make money.
Then you have to chase what is owed and get their lame excuses.

toby1234abc:
For agencies,record all work activity in a diary or photocopy the analogue tacho,the old style round paper discs.
Or printout every day worked if in a digital tacho.
This is proof of hours worked.
They have a habit of not paying correctly and hope drivers do not check to make money.
Then you have to chase what is owed and get their lame excuses.

+1, only done a few weeks on agencies as stopgap & every time I’ve signed on with them, they Screwed Me, last time a couple of years ago they got me to sign up to an Umbrella Company saying that I would be on a pound an hour more ! Never understood WTF was going in with my money & left within about 6 weeks.

They’ll start you on a job at 06.00 one day, then 20.00 the next so you will be lucky to get 5 days out of them, unless you want to work weekends (premium rate, but they’ll try to screw your hours)

I would never leave a full time job (unless it was really, really CRAP) to sign up with an Agency. Only use them as stop gaps !

BLOODY PARASITES !

Daytrunker:
Hi Wilko
One thing to remember is everyone that passed thier C or C+E has no experience, talk to an agency you mihht be surprised, there is pertemps in west Bromwich or breeze in Bilston.
Knock on doors of companies by you,there is enough posts on here from newbies getting full time jobs direct.
Getting out and taking your cv to companies is the best way, they will know who might take you on if they havent any jobs going.

Jeff.

Yea cheers Jeff i have tried about 3 company’s so far, only one had the manners to reply back saying currently no vacancy’s but we will keep your information on file. I guess i made the mistake of not going into Class 2 work straight away, as i went back for my Class 1 and CPC, and here i am all the entitlements but no experience, i am however willing to work at the bottom, I’m so Hungary for a chance right now it’s unreal haha! I suppose trunking work would be ideal for a new driver would you agree?

Thanks for advice all :slight_smile:

know you are probably after a full time post but what I have done is go to local hauliers, I only been to two, and asked them if there is any relief work, both have said yes as it better for them than having to use agencies. I went on Monday morning and I am working tomorrow and Friday full days, I two have all the entitlements but nil experience. I am different from you as I don’t want or need full time work but am looking forward to getting out there especially after spending so much getting the training.
I suppose what I’m saying is instead of asking for full time ask for relief cover as it gets you in the door and who knows as and when a vacancy comes up providing you are up to standard I would have thought they will jump straight at you.
I am quite relieved as I start tomorrow on an 18ton rigid, I would be bricking it if I started straight on the artic, anyway good luck

yea thanks bud, i since knocked on a couple of doors and 1 company gave me a call back the following day, they were impressed of having both entitlements, even though they operate a fleet of 26t tippers and 7.5t wagons, i had my first trial today and finished bagging a full time position, so happy all round so downside is yea im going to have to wait to work on artics for a while, but in the long run il be able to add flt and hiab to my cv once i get trained. :slight_smile: (good luck with your’s too)