My new FH18

They have a really cheap flimsy gear selector. Engines are a bit noisy as well dunno what its like in the camper models.

That being said they are quite reliable and they do look nice prob cheaper to repair compared to the merc as well.

adam277:
They have a really cheap flimsy gear selector. Engines are a bit noisy as well dunno what its like in the camper models.

That being said they are quite reliable and they do look nice prob cheaper to repair compared to the merc as well.

Three yr 100k guarantee on anything related to drivetrain from Fiat and it’s a comfortmatic auto box …just like a proper trucker has now!
It must have more noise insulation than a van as it quiet as a mouse from the van end, the body has all the normal noises for a MH.

norb:
Not to put a downer on your new motorhome ,but if it is a FIAT Ducato ask if it is subject to the EGR cooler recall …For some odd reason we get a lot of FIAT motorhomes in to a commercial dealership when there is a FIAT car dealer who sells vans down the road…And for some reason we don’t touch them on a weekend as FIAT won’t pay the weekend rate if warranty …You will also learn you can not do anything on the bloody thing without removing the headlamps :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …FIAT do sell a good few motorhomes …You’ll now come back with its a pug citroen lol

Strangely it was subject to the recall , but autotrail did it in hull before the body went on !
You would have thought Fiat would have fixed the problem by now as the cab was built last November …weird.

They are reliable . I personally do not work on them I prefer working on DAF ,The autos really only have 2 issues and that is generally only seen on the Bus which generally have extremely high milages ,1 the accumulator ,and an issue with reverse ,though I doubt you will see any of those 2 issues…FIAT seem to be reasonable big in the motorhome market and seem to be more proactive ref issues …There was a programme called Ultimate Process on the INSIGHT Channel that showed you how they’re built ,I enjoyed it …It’s probably on you tube now

Whats worse than a trucker holding up all the traffic…

A motorhome driven by a trucker :cry:

My neighbours just sold his yesterday, bought in February and sent off for every conceivable extra, then the SKY TV man came to fit his ■■■■ receiver, he went to Spain following his daughter in their Hymer. The daughter sold this and bought a new car and caravan.
He came home after 3 months and bought a brand new car and caravan, seems like an awful way to lose a lot of money

Hymer do some immense bits of kit! Price tag is usually immense to go with it lol

Hymers are horrible looking things and access is limited …Customers are not happy when a warranty job which for example FIAT pays 5 hours for ,then takes 7 due to the HYMER body takes 7 and the customer has to pay for the extra…Why can’t they just leave the front the way it is

Ghiabox:
Hymer do some immense bits of kit! Price tag is usually immense to go with it lol

We priced a Hymer, , £99k for the base MH , £128k with all the toys, it was beautiful BUT …………hence the autotrail at £40k less.

3 wheeler:

Ghiabox:

We priced a Hymer, , £99k for the base MH , £128k with all the toys, it was beautiful BUT …………hence the autotrail at £40k less.

That motorhome in your first pic cost in excess of £80,000?

We’ve owned auto trail and hymer.
Nowt wrong with autotrail, but he hymer is worth the extra.

That motorhome in your first pic cost in excess of £80,000?
[/quote]

Yep, the pic doesn’t show it so well but it’s a tag axle 5000kg Comanche with all the extras , it comes in over that price. An equivalent size from Hymer or Carrado is nearer £120k. An A class with the big front end can be even more. That’s why 25yr old motorhomes are still about , as people think they still have value. Crazy but true.

That’s a nice looking outfit.
I struggle to get my 7m+ dethlefs on and off the drive sometimes.
That would be mission impossible.
Enjoy.

3 wheeler:
Yep, the pic doesn’t show it so well but it’s a tag axle 5000kg Comanche with all the extras , it comes in over that price. An equivalent size from Hymer or Carrado is nearer £120k. An A class with the big front end can be even more. That’s why 25yr old motorhomes are still about , as people think they still have value. Crazy but true.

Ahh thats bigger than I thought but I didn’t think it would cost that much! Looks like it’ll be comfy on weeks away anyhow!

Finally joining the club - pick this up on Thursday

3 wheeler:

Well it’s not what most of you thought but it’s finally at the dealers nearly ready to take off in as soon as the extras are fitted. It was ordered in November !

And Pete Smythe the missus will be coming to you very soon…to learn how to drive safely.

Cannot wait to sod off around Europe .

Good luck and safe travels with the motor-home.

Me and the good lady have talked about buggering of round Europe when the time comes, cash in some chips and get a big fancy MH… saw one a few months back on the M4, looks the mutts nuts…bloody great big thing… all bright and shiny etc! Never heard or seen one of this make before and Googled it up… Fleetwood… didn’t really want to sell the house, planned to rent it out for most of the year but jeez…she’ll be spending 3 nights on the street corner if she wants one of them with some extras in!

My good mate bought a 1970s Winnebago 37ft motorhome earlier this year with a blown headgasket.
Cost him £500 ,but also cost him £650 to get it transported down from yorkshire .
Pulled the diesel engine out of it and replaced it with a petrol V8 which it would have had originally.
The diesel engine with new gaskets has recouped the cost of purchase and transport when sold to another motorhome owner .
It is huge inside , like having a steering wheel in a bungalow. A very 70s bungalow !
It will be used when racing next year and will be towing one of the following Jag XJR V8 , Holden Commodore, Aston Martin Vantage , Jag E Type or a Noble . At least we shall be comfortable next year .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk