My Medication And Will It Affect Me?

Right so I’m 16 nearly 17 I’ve always wanted to be in the trucking industry ever since the age of 6, I recently got diagnosed with Autism a few months ago after being misdiagnosed with ADHD at 5.
Now I’m getting ready to look into doing my Category B (CAR Licence) and at 18 going for Category C (Rigid) and then building up to my articulated licence (C+E) but I currently take medication and I went to my GP they couldn’t suggest anything so I’m posting here! I currently take this —> - (Morning) 4x Dexafetamine Sulphate (20mg Total) and 2x Risperidone (1mg Total)
Afternoon 3x Dexafetamine Sulphate (15mg) and Risperidone (0.5mg)
I know I will have to disclose my medical status but will they denies me on this medication my dad that I see 1 every 8 months always puts me down so saying you’ll never be able to do it and stuff (mainly because he failed his medical cause he was doing drugs at the time) so I think he’s just saying it! My family has a long history in trucking but their all retired so they don’t know what’s changed and stuff so they can’t give advice.
(ADMINS if there is anything that shouldn’t be on here just remove it as medication is disclosed in the Rules)
Thanks in advanced :smiley:

Don’t think you are breaking the rules pal, but not sure this place has guru that can answer that question for you. But can I ask a couple of question in return, if your GP is unsure, what does he/she suggest? And have you emailed this question to the DVLA?

Best of luck! :smiley:

They didn’t say much apart from look online and see what it says, I’ll have to contact the DVLA and see what they say. Thanks again :smiley:

Honeslty, I have no idea what you wrote :laughing: Best bet is to contact the DVLA as said above. They may require you to take an “extended” medical or something. Does that medication affect you reaction speed? I know that my mum’s strong painkillers affect her judgement so she can’t drive when she’s taking them.

No it doesn’t affect anything I know one of them increases my attention span, I’ve sent them a email anyway.

mirror.co.uk/money/prescript … ee-7987748

Hope that helps

not sure why they would prescribe risperdal for autism, but I know from personal experience that you can’t take those and hold a hgv license. the good news is that it’s simple to swap to an alternative that is OK, they put me on zyprexa and I can work just fine. hth