My little dog

Hi all, hope you’re all well and of sound mind.

I’m currently a van driver, but I’m thinking of getting my HGV class 2, but the problem is my little dog.

He gets separation anxiety so I can’t leave him, luckily at the moment I can take him about in my van no questions asked.

He has his strapped in dog seat on the passenger seat and in 3 years of driving he’s been as good as gold.

I have my own hours, I usually work 7am-6pm with a 20 minute break at 1030am, 1pm and 330pm, in those times I walk him so he can do his toilet business.

An odd request maybe but I wondered if he would be allowed in a lorry

Cheers.

JohnNicholls:

I’m currently a van driver, but I’m thinking of getting my HGV class 2, but the problem is my little dog.

He gets separation anxiety so I can’t leave him, luckily at the moment I can take him about in my van no questions asked.

He has his strapped in dog seat on the passenger seat and in 3 years of driving he’s been as good as gold.

I have my own hours, I usually work 7am-6pm with a 20 minute break at 1030am, 1pm and 330pm, in those times I walk him so he can do his toilet business.

Cheers.

Highly unlikely. A fair bit of Class 2 is food related work so that will be a no no. And if there is a night man or weekend worker, they may not appreciate a dog having been in the cab.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You’ll struggle unless the work is maybe agricultural, ie deliveries to farms, soon as you come up to a gate and a security bod who couldn’t pass the coppers entrance exam you’ll be buggered.

Juddian:
You’ll struggle unless the work is maybe agricultural, ie deliveries to farms, soon as you come up to a gate and a security bod who couldn’t pass the coppers entrance exam you’ll be buggered.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you will find that most security cabbages that failed the coppers exams then they failed it because the wrote the answers in biro and not by using a crayon thus instantly making them over qualified for the position. :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s not likely bud. Same as taking the kids with you these days is all but dead barring some exception

If you’re…

Making good money and happy doing what you’re doing, don’t bother.

No seriously, don’t go through all the effort and aggro of getting a licence and all the other hoop jumping excercises. If I could get onto vans and do a steady little run, I’d be as happy as a man who been offered a ■■■■■■■■■ with Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson.

albion:

JohnNicholls:

Cheers.

Highly unlikely. A fair bit of Class 2 is food related work so that will be a no no. And if there is a night man or weekend worker, they may not appreciate a dog having been in the cab.

Nightmare city Arizona :frowning:

My dog is a Poochon, he’s a cross between a bichon and a poodle, and a dearer and sweeter little dog you’d never find.

He doesn’t moult or stink, in fact he often freshens up other less salubrious places.

Juddian:

I know those bods, the ones with face tattoos, thick shoulders and the IQ of a lemon.

There’s one who works in my local Sainsbury’s, and thick as mince is an understatement

toonsy:
Yeah it’s not likely bud. Same as taking the kids with you these days is all but dead barring some exception

It’s a crying shame, I used to go out in the lorry with my father when I was a lad, no seatbelts, no thought of special insurance or whatever and we survived

yourhavingalarf:
If you’re…

Making good money and happy doing what you’re doing, don’t bother.

No seriously, don’t go through all the effort and aggro of getting a licence and all the other hoop jumping excercises. If I could get onto vans and do a steady little run, I’d be as happy as a man who been offered a ■■■■■■■■■ with Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson.

Well that’s the thing, the money isn’t great at all.

My friend Jake earns more sitting behind the counter at ladbrokes

Smaller firms might let you take him along. Class 2 tipper work for example, can’t see it being a problem as long as he’s not out of the cab on site. HD Ricketts in Brum/Lichfield are usually looking for drivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnNicholls:

albion:

JohnNicholls:

Cheers.

My dog is a Poochon, he’s a cross between a bichon and a poodle, and a dearer and sweeter little dog you’d never find.

He doesn’t moult or stink, in fact he often freshens up other less salubrious places.

I can assure you it wouldn’t bother me, I wasnt making a personal comment just an observation that not all people are dog people. I have 3 dogs and one on the way so I understand your pov, but the reality is it will really limit your job choices.

albion:

JohnNicholls:

albion:

JohnNicholls:

Cheers.

I can assure you it wouldn’t bother me, I wasnt making a personal comment just an observation that not all people are dog people. I have 3 dogs and one on the way so I understand your pov, but the reality is it will really limit your job choices.

Oh yes no problems.

You know, and this is a funny and interesting story- I was always a cat man, always was, I always had a black cat called Sooty, in my life I’ve had 7 Sooty’s

Anyway, I met my wife, she had a dear little dog who to begin with I wasn’t keen on, and then one day he adopted me, he actually adopted me.

His little face used to light up when he saw me, he’d waggle his little tail, and after a while he’d only take food off me and only go for walks with me.

And now he’s my constant companion in the van, and neither of us could be happier with the other

One of our U.K. drivers asked our gaffer if he could bring his pup in to work with him, as being home alone was causing it distress.
Gaffer told him not a problem, till he turned up with an 8 month Rotti

If you want to be a driver go for it. It is your choice .

JohnNicholls:

toonsy:

It’s a crying shame, I used to go out in the lorry with my father when I was a lad, no seatbelts, no thought of special insurance or whatever and we survived

Same. It’s what got me driving ultimately.

And you know what? I’ve stood in building sites (middle of MI6 next ti Vauxhall Bridge) with no hard hat and no hi viz and aged about ten and survived :open_mouth:

n

Thanks all, food for thought.

I reckon he’d love to be in a lorry, not sure about sleeping out though as he likes nicking half the bed :unamused:

Once upon a time as an owner-driver I bought a unit on very good terms, but when I got it home discovered the previous driver had kept a dog in the cab, not only could you smell it, but it took weeks to get the cab clean and free of dog hairs.

When I went on to run a small fleet, anyone trying to bring a dog with him would have been shown the door or asked to supply his own truck.

Dogs are great companions, but not to be imposed on anyone else.

whisperingsmith:
Once upon a time as an owner-driver I bought a unit on very good terms, but when I got it home discovered the previous driver had kept a dog in the cab, not only could you smell it, but it took weeks to get the cab clean and free of dog hairs.

When I went on to run a small fleet, anyone trying to bring a dog with him would have been shown the door or asked to supply his own truck.

Dogs are great companions, but not to be imposed on anyone else.

My dog is hypoallergenic, so he doesn’t stink or moult.