My last shift as a driver tonight

… well, alright, that might be a bit melodramatic as I’ll still be in the industry and will still get to take a truck up the road occasionally as holiday cover or to sort out ■■■■ ups. But after tonight I’ll no longer be a full time lorry driver, as I’m on holiday on Friday then going in the office on Monday night.
I suppose it’s no big deal really, but I never thought I’d do anything other than drive trucks for a living. It’ll be the first time for fifteen years that I won’t be able to answer the question “what do you do?” with “I’m a lorry driver”. In short, it’s going to feel really strange for the first few weeks, and I’m still not quite sure I’ve done the right thing. :neutral_face: Still, forward in all directions, as they say.

All the best in your new role in the office mate. I’ll give it until dinner time tomorrow for when you come on here slating “us drivers” haha :smiley:

Good luck with your career move.
Is it the transport office your moving to? If so I’m sure you’ll be an asset to both the office and the drivers. Its always better dealing with an office bod who knows what’s what out on the road.

Good luck R/T. As they say nothing ventured,nothing gained.

At least you’ll know exactly what time you will be finishing work in future, which won’t be wholly dependent on some twonk not whacking a bridge, someone not shedding their load, others inability to slow down in thick fog, stroppy forkies etc.

You’ll look enviously out the window on a sunny day, but every time there is bad weather, or major traffic chaos out there, you’ll be glad you took a sensible detour… :wink:

Have fun in your new role…

dreamingofoz:
Good luck with your career move.
Is it the transport office your moving to? If so I’m sure you’ll be an asset to both the office and the drivers. Its always better dealing with an office bod who knows what’s what out on the road.

I’ll have to take issue with you there mate, in my experience 2 off the worst planners I had the misfortune to work for were ex drivers. Though I wont say the same for drivers who become transport business owners.

Rhythm Thief:
… I’ll still be in the industry and will still get to take a truck up the road occasionally as holiday cover or to sort out ■■■■ ups. But after tonight I’ll no longer be a full time lorry driver, as I’m on holiday on Friday then going in the office on Monday night.

Good luck with it, maybe you’ll be different to what I’ve found, remember were you come from. maybe you need to change your name to Chaos Control :wink:

LIBERTY_GUY:
At least you’ll know exactly what time you will be finishing work in future, which won’t be wholly dependent on some twonk not whacking a bridge, someone not shedding their load, others inability to slow down in thick fog, stroppy forkies etc.

I wouldnt bank on it, who do you ring when the fan is about to get smacked, yep that happy sunny guy in the office, who then has to throw the traffic sheet in the air and see were it lands and hope :open_mouth: , oh and ring the customer and hold the phone at arms length :open_mouth:

You sure you want this :wink:

LIBERTY_GUY:
You’ll look enviously out the window on a sunny day,
Have fun in your new role…

Yep agree :wink:

I’m not a truck driver now either, I’m back doing what I always should have stayed doing, driving coaches… :wink:
Easy life, I’m parked in a layby until 15:00 :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll be the night manager, with a grand total of three night trunkers under my, er, control. Basically, as far as I can tell I’m more of a glorified shunter / forklift driver / office clerk, which suits me fine. :slight_smile:

Good luck mate it’s nice to hear about people progressing up the ladder a bit…if it didn’t work out you can allways jump back in the saddle

eddie snax:
I’ll have to take issue with you there mate, in my experience 2 off the worst planners I had the misfortune to work for were ex drivers. Though I wont say the same for drivers who become transport business owners

I’m not saying all drivers make good transport managers, I for one would be bloody useless at it. I’m just saying it sometimes helps if the manager is able to see things from our point of view.

Well, good luck with it RT. Might work out, might not but it’s not as if you couldn’t go back on the road if it didn’t. When are you getting this narrowboat then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck, I kinda did the same thing when I was a bus driver, did 17 year driving then went into the head office for seven years, as lads have said here you get more respect from drivers and managers as you know what your talking about and legislation. :wink:

I hope it goes well for you mate :sunglasses:

Good luck mate, met you a few times at Cannock, and you were always level headed and well mannered.
All the best, Andy ex F/R Thetford night trunker.
I jumped ship back in December last year and went onto ADR tankers.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you :wink:

I’ve just spent a very enjoyable 5months in the office, but unfortunately a reorganisation has made me redundant, the boss has taken an offer to good to refuse, so it’s back on the road for me as I would be hard pressed to find another gig that pays as good as the one I had :cry:

Not all bad though, I pick up my new lorry tomorrow and even though I should know better by now, become an owner operator once more…

DAF95XF:
I’m not a truck driver now either, I’m back doing what I always should have stayed doing, driving coaches… :wink:

Tescos Reading not very good then?

Rhythm Thief:
I’ll be the night manager, with a grand total of three night trunkers under my, er, control. Basically, as far as I can tell I’m more of a glorified shunter / forklift driver / office clerk, which suits me fine. :slight_smile:

Sounds allright, at night you wont have office back stabbers looking over your shoulder :wink:

dreamingofoz:

eddie snax:
I’ll have to take issue with you there mate, in my experience 2 off the worst planners I had the misfortune to work for were ex drivers. Though I wont say the same for drivers who become transport business owners

I’m not saying all drivers make good transport managers, I for one would be bloody useless at it. I’m just saying it sometimes helps if the manager is able to see things from our point of view.

Just my bad luck then, too have 2 who really werent cut for it, in fairness to 1 off them, he suffered an industrial injury, that led him to find it difficult to carry on driving, so the company offered him a position in the office rather than lay him off. The other was just a knob :unamused:

Like you I know were my skills lye, thats behind a wheel not a screen, after all in the office you spend your day dealing with drivers, most off whom, well just do your head in for the odd 5 minutes you might suffer them in the Yard :wink:

Mark22_2:

DAF95XF:

Tescos Reading not very good then?

Nope, bunch of ■■■■■■■

Good luck, my friend, you posted a very positive comment on my rather unusual posting. I wish you the very best. I’m going through the same upheaval at work when the managerial idiots decide what is best for their own image at our expense. Take care.

Nothing wrong with taking a leap of faith, buddy - fortune favours the brave so they say!

All the very best in your new role. :slight_smile:

All the best M8 , it’s not a bad idea from a drivers point of view to have someone from the driving side of life who knows a thing or two , in a transport office , who may understand what life is like on both sides of the fence , good luck and all the best , keep the bears posted on your progress cheers Tom