My Journey - Bus driver to C+E

Thanks LJ,

My plan is to get my cat. C, which I have just booked for the end of this month. Then try and get some cat. C driving experience. Problem is I don’t really want to give up the bus driving until I find a full time position driving cat.C. I don’t want to bank on getting enough work through agencies to pay my bills…anyway I will worry about that once I get the test passed.

NS

You may find a money a bit disappointing when you go for class 2 job. In my case i took £2.50/ph pay cut when I left buses for class 1 job.

Hi Astro,

I think I could handle that for a few months, build up some experience and then do my C+E and then try moving on.

It has got to be better than the position I am currently in where I dread going to work every day!

NS

Well, I have just booked the theory test for 20th September. The cat. C provisional entitlement has been added to my licence however I have not got my licence back yet! Hopefully that will just be a few days. So just need to crack on with the study and hope I pas first time, then onto my training which starts on 26th September.

I am really starting to get excited now, can’t wait.

NS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

quote=“Night Spirit”]Hi Astro,

I think I could handle that for a few months, build up some experience and then do my C+E and then try moving on.

It has got to be better than the position I am currently in where I dread going to work every day!

Hi, I would recommend you to do class 1 straight after class 2 you’ll be still on DSA test mode, I was thinking the same way class 2 first and few months later class 1 but my driving instructor encouraged me to get it done as I was on the mode all the best

Szymekinverness, Thanks for that, I have the money to go ahead straight away with my C+E after I pass my cat. C, however, you know yourself what Slavecoach are like and the chances of me getting enough time off to do it are very slim. I had to use a weeks holiday and my rest days to manage to do my cat. C.

I have no more holidays now until June next year.

NS

Night Spirit:
I have the money to go ahead straight away with my C+E after I pass my cat. C, however, the chances of me getting enough time off to do it are very slim. I had to use a weeks holiday and my rest days to manage to do my cat. C.

I have no more holidays now until June next year.

NS

Perhaps the elation of passing your Cat C will make you feel a bit poorly and you may need to take a week off on the sick? You can’t be driving buses when poorly.

I agree that it’s best to go for them both if you have the money and can make the time. You’ll have a lot more opportunities open to you when you have a Class 1 licence.

Hi Mike,

Now you mention it…I am sniffing and coughing a bit!

It really would be a shame to pass my germs onto the passengers :wink:

NS

Best of luck mate,

From one bus driver to Hgv newbie to another, enjoy the training.

Thanks Chunkzilla, I am really looking forward to the training now.

Night Spirit:
Thanks Chunkzilla, I am really looking forward to the training now.

Good to hear! What vehicle you training in?

Hi Chunkzilla,

It’s a Volvo FM12 380 I believe.

NS

Night Spirit:
Hi Chunkzilla,

It’s a Volvo FM12 380 I believe.

NS

oooooh very nice!

You’ll definitely enjoy driving that, far better than a B7 I tell ya!

Haha, My usual mode of transport is a Volvo B9 when I’m not doing local runs in a crappy Enviro. :unamused:

Night Spirit:
Haha, My usual mode of transport is a Volvo B9 when I’m not doing local runs in a crappy Enviro. :unamused:

Oh god!! I do not miss buses for a second. Especially the enviros!

Licence has come back from DVLA, sent it off on 30th August and it came back on 7th September with cat C provisional entitlement added as well as a shed load of new categories which were not on my previous licence. I believe there have been some changes made back in January to categories and licences to bring it more inline with EU legislation.

Well done DVLA, very efficient.

NS

Well…it’s been a few weeks since my last post.

I was trying to get my theory test done quickly so that I could use a weeks holiday which I already had booked to do my cat. C training. Anyway, that all fell apart, after failing my hazard perception test I had to cancel my cat. C training which was booked to start last week.

I have re-sat the hazard perception today and passed (only just!), however I got 96% on the multiple choice. :smiley:

So, having passed the theory test I contacted my trainer to see what dates were available and was told “it’s a pity you are not free to start tomorrow, we have just had a cancellation!” I am on holiday from work at the moment and not due back until the middle of next week, so training booked for tomorrow. I am so excited!

Guess the decorating which I took the week off to complete will have to wait! :wink:

NS

good luck night spirit u are already in a long vehicle. i am sure you will gonna pass it with ease Good luck. i am still waiting on mine end of october 31st. lol most of them lot started after me and passed already Oh Boy wonder how many times i have to go back to test centre.

Thanks Yas4u, I am sure it will all come together for you too. Just stick at it and these things work themselves out. :slight_smile:

NS

Cat. C Training Day #1

The day started at 08:30 with the licence and theory test pass check. With all that in order it was out to the truck, a Volvo FM12 which used to be an artic but has been modified and made into a rigid.

We went over the walk around check and what to look for and then out for a run with the instructor driving for 10 minutes and talking us through positioning. Then back to the training center and into the reverse, my fellow trainee went first and was talked through it with the instructor, then it was my turn. Went really well and I was quite comfortable with the reverse straight off. I found some reference points to line up with in the mirror so I know how far forward to go up to the cones and how far back I can go to still have the back of the truck in the box. My first few goes were ok and I am not worried about that at all.

Out on the road went well too, once I had mastered the 4 over 4 gearbox. Still have a few hicups with the gears now and again but I am sure I can iron these out over the week. Positioning was ok and I am comfortable with the size of the vehicle.

Overall I enjoyed the day and I am looking forward to getting out tomorrow. :slight_smile:

NS