My GOV HGV bootcamp experience

Yesterday I have finished my 4-and-half month journey with Government funded HGV bootcamp for employed people and passed my C+E test, straight from car (bus) with no minors.

I have applied for course in mid-december 2021, had first response after a week. Due to overwhelming number of applications college deicided to introduce “first come, first served” tactic, warned about incoming email at 7pm which contains link to short application. Website would allow only x number of quickest people to acces the form. I was one of lucky few, I’ve managed to respond within one minute (I’ve been told later that all spaces were gone in 3 minutes).

First meeting (medicals and provisional license applications) was scheduled for mid February. I have skipped this one cos I had my provisional and I’ve already passed all 3 theory tests before hgv bootcamps were introduced. Others have been given login details for some online learning platform and expected to fill progress bars doing mock tests, reading rules, watching videos etc.

We had to wait another month for next meeting titled “Employers masterclass”. During this one we have met some representatives from transport companies. They told us about their companies, how is it to work for them and at the end collected some “initial” applications. Other applicants theory tests learning progress has been announced by training manager who also encouraged them to increase efforts as results were rather sluggish.
At this point I’ve asked to be allowed into next stage as I’ve seen no point of waiting for others. Two weeks later I’ve got an email with dates for my practical and cpc training/tests. I had to wait another month and half.

On first day I was introduced to my mercedes Actros setup with 14.6 high and quite long trailer. At first I was a bit overconfident as i had great knowledge of local routes and experience of driving duble decker bus through.

On second day, thanks to my professional and gifted trainer I have managed to set back a bit with my overconfidence and started driving more carefuly, giving more space and stoped initimidating oncoming traffic. Around noon we came back to yard and I’ve been shown coupling/recoupling procedure and reversing excercise.
After 4 hours of practicing I had my mod 4 test and passed it.

On third day I’ve managed to cut my confidence level down to match my abilities (again, thanks Greg, you are the best trainer I ever had) and we focused on relaxed, calm drive-around. At this point I felt ready for test.

I’ve spent fourth day driving around test routes.

On fifth day I had my test. My examinator was a test centre manager and obviously it worked towards my stress levels however all went smoothly even though he guided me through some nasty turns and roundabouts.
I’ve passed and examinator has nothing to say apart from congratulations.

My overall experience with hgv bootcamp is very good however I wasn’t very happy about all this long waiting. I can’t complain as it was free after all :slight_smile: Now I’m looking for some night trunking jobs in Bristol area. any recomendations? :slight_smile:

PS
I’ve been told that most of bootcamp training providers won’t accept people who already got provisionals / passed theory tests.
I’ve done lots of research as I wasn’t sure if I won’t be suddenly kicked out mid-course :smiley: This appears to be truth with many employment agenicies who won’t take you on bootcamp due to less money from government in such case.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and I’ll try to help.

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

welcome to the hgv club now. You will find out driver shortage was all a haux along with the covid virus + fuel crisis

Congratulations!
And as Ben has indicated, you’re now officially certified to pontificate on the world of: politics, economics, national employment policy and immunology without having to do any further study. :laughing:

But don’t forget it is a mandatory requirement to complain about everything in order to keep this segment of your vocational qualification valid.