My good deed for the day.

I was on my daily coffee break at Fleet, and i noticed a foreign driver talking to a French driver, they were not making any sense, as i passed him, it turned out he was a Romanian driver asking the French man for help.
While asleep the Romanian was hit by a UK truck on the A303, and damaged the back of his trailer, the UK driver had given all the insurance details and a Police officer had given his details on the drivers paperwork.
All he wanted to do was to fax or email the paper work to his boss in Romania, so i took him over the bridge to the Days Inn hotel to help him out, he was very pleased, imagine if you were in the same situation in a foreign land.
The Brazilian lady on reception only charged one pound, the driver had a handful of shrapnel coins of euro cents to offer to pay for the fax, i paid it for him and said we international drivers stick together.
What would you do, walk past him, shrug the shoulders, not your problem, he is only a foreigner stealing our work.?
At the end he showed me his wife and children on his mobile phone picture gallery, maybe in Romania i would be invited to stay at their house and have a meal cooked for me, if i was broken down by their house.
It seems the insurance firm in his country will arrange a UK agent or contact to speed up his claim for damage via the green card system.

Nice 1

It is Khama or however it is spelt, one day i may need help, well sort of, one day a pipe broke in my Daf in Spain, the police sent out two 60 ton cranes, that to start with it looked like i was footing the bill, luckily DKV sent the cranes away,and an old break down van came to my aid to get me off the hill near Pamplona.
It was lucky that the Uk truck did not do a runner and take off after hitting his trailer.

Good job. At the end of the day these guys are only doing their job. It’s the higher up side of things that are ‘taking our jobs’.

Most of them send their wages home to support their families, and cab be living in the cab all year, and have one or two weeks off at Christmas when the boss flies them home or pays the bus or train.
Waberer boss in Hungary charters a fleet of coaches to send his drivers home.

Nice 1 Toby. :smiley:

I guess being in a strange place with no grasp of the formalities must be frightening for even the most experienced when things go Pete Tong.

Ken.

Treat people as you would liked to be treated is a motto i go by,because what goes around comes around …nice thing you did.

How did you find out the receptionist has a brazilian?

MADBAZ:

Thats what he paid the quid for it wasnt a holiday inn it was a brothel lol

MADBAZ:

Because toby speaks portuguese

its a scam, the driver and receptionist are in on it. he hangs around pretending to be confused person helps him out by taking him to nearest motel, he then prentends not to have any money and you fork out. recepionist prints any old tat off and they split the cash. repeat through the day :slight_smile:

seriously though i had a puncture on my trailer in holland in a services. not only did no one help me change it but one of our own uk drivers fuelled up then drove past me waving. caught him at a autohof that night and he claimed he didnt know what i was doing :unamused:

bossman:
Treat people as you would liked to be treated is a motto i go by,because what goes around comes around …nice thing you did.

Never a truer word(s) said…

If you speak to a Turkish driver, he will wine and dine you from his kitchen on the side of his trailer, they can knock up a 4 course meal in no time, and if you offer to pay ,that may be an insult in their culture.

MADBAZ:

Hair Style :smiling_imp:

stagedriver:
Good job. At the end of the day these guys are only doing their job. It’s the higher up side of things that are ‘taking our jobs’.

This ^^ 100 times over. ( they do whiff a bit on the train though :smiley::grin::sunglasses:

It seems to be spreading, first tip the very nice driver let me go first even though he was turned round because I was a 20 min tip and he was 2 hours (bought him a coffee to thank him). Next tip the guy had only just got on the bay and he offered to come off and let me tip :smiley: I declined because I was due a break anyway but it’s put me in a really happy mood so thank you chaps :smiley:

The receptionist had dark Latin looks and almond shaped eyes, when she spoke i could tell she had an accent that was not from Portugal, and the name on her shirt gave it away a bit.
I could detect which country a driver was from in Spanish trucks, as they hire South American drivers, they are easy to spot after a bit of practice, by how tall they are, and facial features such as deep cut cheek bones and so on.
In the UK you can tell the difference between a Polish driver from a Lithuanian/Latvian/Ukrainian/Russian/Hungarion/Italian and so on.
The Dutch were easy, the whole of the truck windscreen would have a huge household size coffee maker, back in the 90s. A German would have a huge belly and wear denim Dungerees with braces, and a handle bar moustache.
The typical dresss for a 80s to 90s Euro drivers was a money wallet with a 6 foot long chain attached to the weakes point in the trousers with all the running money in it.
Clogs with a choice of Friesian or Hereford cow hair on them.