My First Week As A Tramper

I got my bungee cords, hammer, bar amd wd40 all at the ready I have been on flat beds for the last 3 years so had most my kit already plus the old man helps me out a lot and I have made the most of his advice that said tho on occasions he hasn’t been on the end of the phone other drivers and terminal staff with the exception of one have all been very helpful.

Thinking off getting a mifi gadget and putting a mobile internet sim into so I got wifi maybe take my xbox with me then that said last week I didn’t really have chance to do much apart from drive and eat easy quick tips all week but I’m sure that I will see the other side soon enough.

The gaffer at our depot is a good bloke to be honest pretty relaxed and has been in the container game for.a long time so he knows it pretty well my old man has worked for him for a good few years. I think at the end of the day tho he just wants you to keep your head down do your jobs if he asks you to do something you can’t do he wants you to tell him straight away in stead of trying and being late or whatever which is pretty much the basics of our job anyway.

Thanks for the tips and stuff tho gents they are all gratefully received and absorbed

What sort of money are you on with turners at felixstowe rowdy ?

I don’t run out of Felixstowe I’m from Birmingham depot its only a small depot with all of us on tins.

The basic isn’t great but you make it up with nights out and bonus. My old man been with them years and him and my mom live quite comfortably let’s face it none of us are going to be millionaires in this game but it pays for the roof over my kids head food in there belly clothes on there back and we enjoy a few of life’s luxerys so I cant complain

You wouldn’t happen to know if there’s any tramping positions available from the Birmingham depot would you?

As far as I know there isn’t but I know he was after day drivers and drivers for OOCL contract

Sounds brilliant mate.

I’ve just passed my class one and all new to it, I’ve handed in my notice as i got a class one job offered to me the other day… I’m pretty nervous about it to be honest as it will be a massive life style change.

I was looking at the containers in Birmingham as well as im not to far away, but didn’t know where to start if i’m honest.