My first truck

I have now been driving for two weeks at Tuffnells. Thoroughly enjoying the job, getting used to the nights. Getting a bit too used to the M25 and A12.

Driving Wagon and Drag is interesting. The trailer does follow very nicely but I do remember finding it easier to corner in an artic, maybe because it’s size lends to the required driving style. I have not yet successfully reversed this thing yet though. The two pivot points make it a real art. Thankfully they employ shunters at all the depots and even more thankfully. my route doesn’t require any reversing, though i have still tried.

My first week involved fog, wind, and diversions. The only real problem was when I didn’t connect a trailer properly and snapped my airlines. Turns out every one has done it at one time or other. Fortunately you can just put some new ones on and carry on, but that doesn’t stop you feeling embarrassed.

Despite how many cars attempt to force their way round me on roundabouts, even when I drive defensively, I haven’t caused any damage yet.

So far the bosses have been very happy with my performance, no damage, everything on time and if not I’ve let them know. All is going well and I’m having a good time as a lorry driver. One day I’ll look at tramping but for now I’m going to get the experience under my belt.

Nice one, sounds like you are having fun and enjoying it and how many people wish they could say that about their job.

I reckon if it was days on multi drop it might be a different story. But very true.

That thing is about 60ft long, next step has to be an Australian road train.

Glad your enjoying yourself sounds like your doing very well Im really chuffed for you

Jennie x

Nice one sax, I bet u s[zb]t urself the first time driving that. I’ve applied at a tuffnells depot not far from me in westbury, Wiltshire. Do they take on noobs? I only have my cat C ATM but hopefully doing my artic soon when the £££s get a bit easier. Well done again mate

Well I’m very new to driving as a career. But my uncle is night manager at Ipswich and I’m sure that’s what helped me. If you get a job with Tuffnells it’d be 17tonner on multi drop. Class 1 work there is night trunking.

Whatever you do apply like mad.

The Saxmachine:
Well I’m very new to driving as a career. But my uncle is night manager at Ipswich and I’m sure that’s what helped me. If you get a job with Tuffnells it’d be 17tonner on multi drop. Class 1 work there is night trunking.

Whatever you do apply like mad.

Nah, am sure you got there on your own merit! :grimacing:

Do your two years on there and Robert’s yer dads’ brother! Try and have a go at reversing them just so you can say you can do it.

think you should practice reversing it (+blindside ha ha)in case you take a wrong turn or get diverted etc and theres no roundabout or place to spin round then reversing into side road or entrance way is only option.

Hi,

I’ve just applied for a job at tuffnells ipswich depot, although i don’t have my C+E yet which is what was advertised i thought I’d put my name in just incase something could come from it. I’m doing my C+E on 7th march.

Passed my module 4 today :slight_smile: so all legal now.

Good luck with the application. It might be a day job you get but then one guy is off for medical reasons soon and ill be away in oz for a month as well. So that’s two night trunks that need covering.

And good luck with your test.

I checked tuffnells site today and it states mon-fir 7.5tonne collection and delivery. Different to what i first emailed about so re submitted an application.

Looks a beast that truck you got!