My first real mistake

Hi guys,

been driving artics for a while now im sure some of you may of been in the same situation i found myself in last week :neutral_face: , i was going to a drop i had never done before so plugged my sat nav in, (ive seen some of the stories on here about low bridges and sat navs and last week i experienced it), trundling along, sat nav said i had 5 miles to go, thouught i was doing well no problems, sat nav told me to turn down one particular road as this then joined a main road where my drop was, the road was a little narrow but you could get to lorrys side by side, all was well i didnt meet anybody sat nav saying turn left in 0.5 miles and yay your back on the main road.

i came round the corner and i must of missed the warning signs before i turned down the road. :confused: :frowning:

que a lot of sweating and 2 blind side reverses into farmer giles’s field later i turned round went back to main road and followed that road, this time detimermed to stay on A roads, it took me an extra 7 miles though.

You didnt hit anything, boss none the wiser, learn from it and move on. But maybe you should invest in truck software for your sat nav. If you’re following it blindly you’ll end up one of the horror stories we hear about all the time.

We’ve all took the wrong turn at sometime and had to do a ■■■■■■■ reverse to get out off it, nobody is perfect.

avoid avoid avoid short cuts unless you no the road, 7 miles is nothink to get there safer and less hassle for you, i always use sat nav these days and its only a car one, but i check the route first and i choose when to ignore it i stay on main roads and get close as i can to the drop its different delivering around big cities cos all roads are ■■■■■■ and a bit of arse twitching keeps you a regular. :laughing:

Don’t always trust a tomtom truck either, Mine tried to take me to a drop via a 10’ bridge :confused: the only sign warning of the height was the one the bridge :imp: didnt have to reverse back that far but it did involve a blindside round a corner and I had to squeeze between a road sign and a massive hole in the road where some guys were working.

It may be a good idea for you to invest in a road atlas that shows low bridges and use it to check routes before going down roads that are a “little narrow” :wink:

On the bright side no real harm was done so learn from it and move on … and try to stay away from 6’ 3" bridges :smiley: :wink:

remember that the sat nav is only a electronic map presume you can set it to different thing as most can be ie shortest route ect

also invest in a map with the bridge hight on then before you set off check with that to help plan your route

but you have made the mistake learn from it & move on

bubsy06:
Don’t always trust a tomtom truck either, Mine tried to take me to a drop via a 10’ bridge :confused: the only sign warning of the height was the one the bridge :imp: didnt have to reverse back that far but it did involve a blindside round a corner and I had to squeeze between a road sign and a massive hole in the road where some guys were working.

Make sure you turn the IQ routes off when using truck tomtom too - If you don’t during busy periods it will try and send you around every rabbit run that it knows■■?

Haha I would take the top 5 inchs off my head if I tried walking under that :laughing:

Also set the route options to Fastest Route not shortest as this will use all A roads (and for Navman users I use the setting Prefer Motorways)