My favourite livery

Afternoon Gentlemen, this morning we received a farm delivery, the 6wheeled tractor was a normal modern ten spotlight job, but adorned with air brushed ladies of all description, mostly showing more breast than Tesco`s chicken counter!..if my spectacles are to be believed! Apparantley the “ladies” were “famous” stars of the big screen, …but unrecognisable to this old codger!! (as were their “pneumatic” attributes,… had they been taking cattle growth hormones, or was it artistic licence)■■

But during the days interminable hedge cutting, it set me thinking. What is the object of a livery? To make ones vehicles recognisable out on the road, to stand out from the herd, to project a professional, (oh how that word has become overworked in the last two decades), image. The reasons are many, and varied.

Britain used to have the most characterful and identifiable lorries of any European country. Sadly todays vehicles , in the main, seem as dull as any French Fleet of the 60s. Is the reason the preponderous use of leased/buy back vehicles, or just simple cost?

Probably my age, but I fondly remember the elaborate liveries carried by Hire and Reward vehicles throughout the British Isles. Not simply the Scottish ones, Devon and Cornwall, the North west, and East, and of course the Black Country ones. With the move to Curtain sided trailers, some of the more traditional liveries began to look a little incongrous, unless the theme was applied to the whole outfit.

As closing speeds on Motorways increased, more impact was achieved by bolder and simple schemes, whereby an outfit was instantly recognisable by its colours, and bolder, simple writing. Its an endless subject, what one man likes, another does not. But what are your favourites, and why??

Lets see some images, for us all to enjoy…over to you Gentlemen

Benton Bros from NE Lincs have a silver and maroon colour scheme, very subtle but works really well, I’ll try and get some pictures up, also HJ Van bentum have a silver and blue scheme which when painted onto their T cabbed Scanias and powder tankers looks the business.

Some companys took great pride in how there motors were turned out, firms like Finneys from Tyldsley and Robsons of Carlisle spring to mind but there were loads more.

benton bros.png

Pollock Scotstrans take some beating for a nice livery.

not what we use but this is my favorite

Spud1960:

i think that is the business

File0976.jpgHi Saviem here is my contribution to your new thread from when i started to date some fourty years,you are right when you say in the old days trucks had loads of signwriting all over them and today it is just big bold get your name noticed.In my opinion its best to have most information on the rear end as trucks have always some one behind them following till they can pass and we have in the past got work in this manor and as the last picture of the rear of one of our trailers shows a logo micky taking " Mary Poppins" supercalifragilistic etc etc which has generated phone calls just to say thats brilliant and has been on our trailers for over twenty years now,cheers Buzzer

SAM_6831.JPG

SAM_6246.JPG

img148.jpg

This is one of my favorites, N J Docksey taken at Llandudno 2011 Looks like a company who takes pride in their fleet,good colour scheme plus signwritten the old way.

Another company who takes pride in their fleet without going over the top with loads of decals.
Volvo FH PF08UGE Fleet No 22  (1).jpg
And everything you need to know on the rear (magic)

I like the livery simple and well-integrated with the lines of the vehicle:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63037

boris:
Favourite Liveries - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

This is the forum of the short memory. I bet I posted the same phot on the other thread!

Just for the sheer nerve…

my all time fav.

[zb]
anorak:

boris:
Favourite Liveries - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

This is the forum of the short memory. I bet I posted the same phot on the other thread!

Evening Gentlemen…oh dear, now I know that Im getting old…first, at dinner tonight, my daughter, (laughing hysterically), pointed out that the “Valentines card”, purchased with much deception from our local CooP, for my wife, (whom I still adore),…!!! was actually a Birthday card!!!..Still, economics rule in these difficult times…I do not need to buy her a birthday card next year, just recycle the Valentines card!!!

Then this shock, a thread exists (and a good one at that)…Im becoming senile…or need new spectacles!!

APOLOGIES!!!

nilocekyd , you know I never asked Edwin, Dell, or Roy, how they arrived at that livery , in its day it was outstanding, and even today it is good. What a likeable bunch of Bandits…Ive spent many happy hours in their company. “Youm aright our kid” as Dell was wont to say!!! Back to the Bollinger,…again apologies, will I ever master this electronic wizardry■■?

Cheerio for now.

Caldew.jpg
Here’s the aforementioned Robsons - the best livery I ever drove. Swallowed up and spat out by United Glass, Distillers, Guinness, Bunzl, United Carriers and finally NYK. One time they sent a questionnaire around the drivers - lots of us said keep the old livery, but they replaced it with a nondescript white. The border names attracted spotters long before that other upstart Carlisle company…

zxNick:
Here’s the aforementioned Robsons - the best livery I ever drove. Swallowed up and spat out by United Glass, Distillers, Guinness, Bunzl, United Carriers and finally NYK. One time they sent a questionnaire around the drivers - lots of us said keep the old livery, but they replaced it with a nondescript white. The border names attracted spotters long before that other upstart Carlisle company…

Aye Robsons of Carlisle a real haulage Co, with some great lads driving for them, Regards Larry.

Takes some beating imo!

I like any livery that is traditional, blue or green cab with red chassis, red and white striped bumper and red painted wheels with the rim done in white does it for me, depending on the lorry a white roof too and the signwriting done by a signwriter, not just a transfer. also all lorries should have a sunvisor and believe it or not considering what I drive, I’m not a lover of chrome and lights on a European lorry, so plain and simple is the order of the day :wink:

nilocekyd:
Just for the sheer nerve…

my all time fav.

Not sure the EST livery was ever my favourite, but certainly instantly recognisable. Others from the late 70s/ early 80s I knew from a mile away included Wincanton Tpt (especially their blue B series, also the tankers with the big orange W), Gillards (Burrowbridge). Lots of removals firms had very distinctive livery too (if ever there was a transport sector that depended on a distinctive livery, removals was it) - aside from the obvious (Pickfords) were Fox (their 70s/80s all over yellow), Bishops Move, Shore Porters, Euroliner, Britannia (I could go on). In fact removals must be one of the few transport sectors that hasn’t mostly succumbed to the cheap all-over white wagon +/- slap on vinyl transfer approach that makes wagon spotting so dull these days.

Stotts Transport always looked sharp, what lorries are left in those colours look drab now, a shame.

David Hathaway.

The Bond family of trucks, more traditional but no less eye catching or appealing.

SDM? Think that’s right.

Oh and.Countrywide but NOT he murial units.