My experience so far

Hi,

Just thought I would make a little post about my experience so far in getting my Cat C licence and introduce myself, I’m Edd and in my late 30’s. I’ve passed my theory and hazard perception (mod 1), CPC (mod 2) booked 15/4, practical test (mod 3) booked 24/4, CPC (mod 4) not booked!

So everything was a little bit confusing until I found this forum and I can’t thank the people that contribute to it enough, just about every question I can think of has been asked and answered here. I know when I first got on here I read many new and wannabe posts and found them really helpful and insightful, so I figured what I found useful may help others.

Theory Test: Although the official DVSA book is good I found “The Complete LGV & PCV Theory and Hazard Perception Tests” DVD-ROM, by Focus Media, worth it weight in gold. I spent around 10 hours on it in total and passed no problem. I only looked at a handful of pages in the book.

CPC: Get your module 2 booked in at the same time as your theory. Not sure why, but I didn’t book mine until later and now I can’t book module 4 until module 2 is passed. Just about everything I have had to book has had a 3-4 week wait too. At this rate I will have passed my practical and still have a couple of weeks wait to do my module 4, which is annoying.

Driving Assessment: Biggest bit of advice I can give is have an assessment with any instructor you think about using, avoid any that can’t give you one. I won’t mention any names, but one company kept on delaying me and re-arranging my appointment. I booked with another company, the biggest problem I found is that they said I needed at least 30 hours training, but he wouldn’t look me in the eye when he said it and it felt like he was trying to get more hours out of me.

I know my driving ability and it didn’t seem right to me, I went to one more company and I couldn’t believe how different they were. Their instruction was better, their vehicles, the whole outfit was just more impressive. They couldn’t understand why I was told I needed so many hours training. So look around and meet at least a couple of trainers.

Last bit of advice is don’t use a broker, there’s no need, and don’t waste money on a GP medical, save £100 and go elsewhere. I used http://www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk, a bizarre experience but totally legit.

Hope you find this useful. :smiley: