My Category C training

Hello all, im 25 and am training for Category C. Having recently purchased a 7.5 ton horsebox I thought to myself for £200 more I could go the full whack and go for Cat C without the limits in case I upgrade in the future.

I had my assessment with Zenith Driving Training and then booked my training. Was recommended 4 days with test on the 5th day. The truck is a Scania 94D 220, with a 4 over 4 arrangement.

My instructor is really funny and has made me think of him more as a mate lol I have really enjoyed my lessons with him :laughing: . I have been told its not a good pass rate for 1st time…

My first two days have been ok but I cannot see how I can have my test on the 5th day and pass! :confused:

I have been driving around town in some small roads and managing ok when going around the tight corners except for a pavement kiss yesterday and I mounted the kerb when my instructer received a mobile phone call as I was just coming upto the road lol :laughing: My hill starts are a bit poor so far, not quite used to the clutch…

Now to really knock me back, my first day was cut short by an hour due to an instructor damaging a vehicle just before a test so I ended up losing an hour, and then the next day I was not told my lessons times so assumed it was the same everyday, turns out I lost another hour!!! so now im owed two hours, I am really not feeling confident now :frowning:

I can only hope Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday go better… Sorry for boring you if you read this far but I am feeling stressed out and needed to get it out :wink:

Samir

hi, i was in the same position not so long ago and if your instructor is anything like mine they take you on harder roads than you would on test, passed c on 5thmay with 5minors then passed c+e yesterday with the same amount of training as you both first time passes.
am sure you will do fine just stay calm and treat it like a lesson with a different instructor
there will be loads on here to help with any questions you might get

Thanks Andy :slight_smile: One nagging issue is cropping up where the gear gate is so narrow that I occasionally crunch reverse when trying to get into 5th… Im naturally nervous so hope I can keep myself together for it :sunglasses:

P.S congratulations on your passes :exclamation:

You’re going to need all the confidence you can muster, all you need to pass this test is confidence + a little bit of short term memory.

Over the next 4 1/2 days you will be taught to drive that LGV to the required standard to pass a test. On that test, if you are confidant, the only other thing you need to do is to remember what you were taught over the last 4 days.

If the world is a blank sheet of paper every time you wake in the morning, then you might have a problem :smiley: .

The confidance thing is easy. Are you a coward? Do you shy away from difficult tasks? Are you afraid of the dark? Will a big hairy monster drag you from your cab & drag you off to a dark place if you should stall on a hill start?

The answer is usually a big fat NO.

Those of us that aren’t cowards tackle our fears head on. When I was on agency work I used to drive a differant lorry with a differant load almost every day, experience taught me that every lorry has a differant temperament when it comes to a hill start. I quickly learned to pull over on the first hill I came across & do a few practice starts to sort out the required technique. Much better to do it & get it out of the way on my terms than suffer the stress of embarrassing myself at a busy junction.

I still have it in the back of my mind, that a big hairy monster is going to drag me out the cab & do horrible things to my corpse whenever I stall on a hill start !

Tell yourself, & do not hesitate to tell your instructor what you believe to be your weak points. Your instructor knows ■■■■ well what your real weak points are, but they might not always pick up on where you lack confidence.

The modern test isn’t hard or tough but it does require almost exact standards, 4 days is plenty to aquire those standards from your instructor, all you need to add is confidence.

Good luck.

Chas that is some very wise words :smiley: Very thought provoking and if I read multiple times I think will help me muster all the confidence I need :slight_smile: Thank you!

After all the worries I am pleased to say I have passed my test :smiley:. Many thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice and the plentiful posts full of information!

I would like to thank David Norman AKA Dave :laughing: from Zenith Driver Training for all the training and fun we had and getting through for a first time pass! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations, now the real learning begins :slight_smile:

Many Thanks! :smiley:

Congratulations. Now are you gonna stick with your horse box or go for bigger?

Cheers Dar, well I would love to go bigger but money is a bit tight so I will stick to the 7.5 Bedford TL for the moment lol. I really enjoyed the Scania 94D so it’s a major downgrade from my lesson lorry… :laughing: Maybe in the next few years I will go for the CPC and change jobs if the situation is good for it.

The old Bedford TL is a nice lorry really, was originally a 10 tonne refuse truck I heard and then downplated to 7.5 when it had a new body put on. Just some issues for me, no servo, no power steering etc… Less to go wrong but the one nagging issue is that the fuel sensor seems to be stuck on empty!!

I have tried to mess about with the cable but no change so may have to bring it down to Southsea to let my dad who is electronically minded have a look :laughing:

Samir02392:
After all the worries I am pleased to say I have passed my test :smiley:. Many thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice and the plentiful posts full of information!

Congratulations on the pass. As you said in your first post, the minimal extra cost for category C over C1 leaves you with a much more flexible licence. A later upgrade from C1 would require taking a C test - you can’t upgrade C1 to C by taking a CE test as you must have C before taking a CE test.

Taking C rather than C1 does mean getting to grips with an 8 speed gearbox (C1 tests can be taken on a 7.5t vehicle with a car like gearbox), but if you can get used to more gears and a larger vehicle, I believe it’s well worth taking your C test instead.

If you have any thought of driving commercially in the future, it may be worth considering taking your CE test as soon as possible after you get your licence back from DVLA. Your new licence will include a CE provisional as well as your C pass.

A CE test can be taken using a “wagon and drag” - the same sort of lorry you took your C test on (maybe the same lorry if it has towing gear) plus a large trailer. A CE pass on W+D is valid for artics as well, though many recommend going out with a trainer in an artic for a few hours after you pass CE on W+D to familiarise yourself with the different configuration.

There’s two advantages in doing CE sooner rather than later.

Firstly, your driving is at test standard now on C. Driving CE requires getting used to the trailer - you have a vehicle that bends in the middle and cuts in more on bends. However, you haven’t had time to pick up any bad habits or get out of practice on a test-style gearbox.

Secondly, many potential C employers run mixed fleets. All things being equal, they’ll take a driver with CE over one that only has C, as they can use him or her on a CE run if necessary. However, many employers want you to have held your licence for two years, and will not consider time you’ve held C when looking at you as a potential CE driver. If you get CE soon, it can ‘mature’ on your licence for a future possible career change or agency driving one day every other weekend (which is all that’s possible within EU drivers’ hours rules if you work Monday to Friday, because of the weekly rest requirements).

There’s little point doing the initial DCPC until you need it - it only lasts five years before you have to complete 35 hours of periodic training to renew. If you take the DCPC with a view to doing some agency driving, don’t forget to apply for a digital tachograph driver card.

If you do go for the DCPC, one intriguing way to get the 35 hours needed for one of the five year renewal cycles would be to do your operator’s CPC. Some providers give the option of gaining 35 hours DCPC credit by taking their operator’s CPC course. If you had an operator’s CPC, you would then have the necessary qualification to apply for a Standard International operator’s licence, which, with along with the correct insurance, would allow you to run your horsebox for ‘hire and reward’. This would allow you to be paid to drive other people’s horses around.

Be aware that if you go down this route, you will need the equine module of the livestock in transit certificate (that’s not the correct name but I can’t remember the right one) and you’d need to take the initial LGV Driver CPC tests.

Having said all this, the extra costs of being ‘O’ licenced with ‘hire and reward’ insurance just in case someone asks you to move their horse really doesn’t make sense. One significant extra cost would be the need to tax your Bedford at the ordinary HGV rate rather than the cheap Private HGV rate. You’d also need periodic maintenance inspections (though with your likely low mileage, you’d probably be able to persuade the Traffic Commissioner that the interval could be increased from every six weeks) and a tachograph with a current calibration certificate.

Just be aware - without a standard ‘O’ licence, hire and reward insurance, Driver CPC and the livestock in transit certificate, you cannot drive other people’s horses around for payment. I am fairly certain this ban includes driving for diesel money only.

If you have any interest in being an owner driver in the future - or are just interested - there’s no harm in doing the operator CPC course. However, you can’t claim the 35 hours of periodic DCPC credit unless you’ve passed the initial DCPC tests.

Right now, I appreciate that money is tight and you probably want to put any available money into the horsebox rather than more training. The fuel gauge sounds like it’s either a dead sender or gauge.

I hope you and your horses enjoy your new freedom. How about posting a picture of the horsebox - maybe with you proudly holding your pass certificate in front of it.

Thanks for the informative post :smiley: Took the Bedford out for a drive, the gears are no fun and the line of traffic behind me didn’t help :laughing: but noticed it’s not just the fuel gauge that does not work. The engine temperature, fuel gauge and the speedo! lol The tacho appears to be working ok though as well as the air pressure gauge…

I will have to have a good look inside it today, I can’t seem to see any fuses that look obviously blown so will take a tester with me…

Now to make me happy I need to save some pennies for a lovely Scania horsebox :laughing: