My C+E Journey....first time lucky?

So, I passed my Cat C at the back end of March then my DCPC a couple of weeks after. I had a look around and applied for a few jobs but didn’t really hear anything. If you read my previous post when I was training you will know I’m a full time chef with a family to support so quitting and relying on agency work is not what I’m going to do ATM.
I luckily got a nice payout from the PPI on my credit card so decided to jump straight to CE without any experience in C. I believe there’s almost equal pro’s and cons to doing it this way so jumped straight at it…
I started my training on thursday with the test the following Wednesday. This was the same schedule I had for my rigid and I quite like having the weekend in the way to rest as its extremely mentally draining. So, thurs and fri I spent the days getting used to the truck, cornering and general road driving. I cottoned onto all this quite well and I was pleased with my progress heading into the weekend.
Monday came, time for my first taste of reversing! I’d done a little in the yard for positioning but none of the exercise. Well…safe to say I finished Monday feeling a little rubbish. The driving I did was fine, but I was finding the reverse VERY difficult! I also suffer from a typical ‘left handed’ issue of struggling with left and right without thinking carefully!!
Tuesday, more driving - again doing well. A little to quick in some areas I should be going slower but that was confidence getting the better of me. More reversing as well and it was today that I felt something ‘CLICK’. The whole method just somehow fell into place. Don’t get me wrong i was still pulling out some clangers but I was getting there. Still occasionally turning the wheel only to see the trailer set of in the wrong direction but I was correcting it quick enough!
Wednesday (today) I was feeling positive. I felt good with all aspects and just thought if I could get the reverse out of the way I should be able to pass. We did a little driving first thing then head to the yard to do some reverse practicing. All was good, thankfully. My test was at 12.15 and by then the usual pre-test nerves had truly set in. First up, the reverse which I nervously completed using one shunt, which my instructor said I shouldn’t have needed and I agree but I’d rather a minor than ■■■■ up and fail. The rest went very smoothly, only stupidly indicating on a roundabout and being too cautious (yes you heard me) with a cyclist jeopardised things. But thankfully I finished and was awarded a pass with 6 minors - a lot more than I wanted but a pass is fine.
I now have a few avenues to go down for a job and will keep people informed of my choice. I would also highly recommend McDowells Driver Training in Keighley, very highly trained and experienced instructors with lots of resources at there disposal.

That’s me done, no more blooming terrifying driving tests! :smiley: :smiley:

Somebody clear up my mess please, my ipad appears to have done more than a few repeated posts! :unamused:

Nice one. Well Done.

I remember a year or two back, someone on here got a start with McDowells on General Haulage straight after passing. Might be worth asking.

Don’t worry about repeat posts. The whole forum is suffering at the moment. One of the mods will be along with a brush and dustpan soon.

Cheers Dar, Mcdowells have a certain amount of full time drivers and pick up the rest as and when needed from their own in house agency. They’ve said all along the agency would get me work with Mcdowells and if I impress them then when a perm job comes up I could be chosen. It’s just the unreliability of agency worki can’t do ATM. I spoke to the agency to get an ‘idea’ of how much work I’d get and she gave me an example of somebody that had just passed and he was only picking up 3 days if he was lucky.

let us know how you get on with finding a c e job, as im thinking of doing the same as you going to get my c e and have not long passes my c.