My birthday weekend and the m1!

Well it started at 4am yesterday morning, with a nice steady run down to southampton and redding on the way back. Also my missis came along for the ride, else she wouldnt have seen me for 2 weeks as she was working today. the snow started comeing down on the a34 at about 6.30am…ish, and came down hard covering both carraigeways. this also continuied on the m3, and round s’ton centre. The a33 (i think it was) to redding was also bad, but the traffic kept moving well at a steady 30mph.
so tipped in redding boots, they let me leave the vechicle on the loading bay so we could do a spot of shopping, got some lunch made a t and then hit the road back to leicester. i heard on the radio that the a34 and m40 were both knackered so i decided on the m4, m25, m1… big mistake!!!
drove 5mins down the m4 and that was it, nose 2 tail. it was terrible traffic, worst ive been in i think, being made worse by the normal plonkers. when i finnally reached toddington at 8pm there were no safe places to park 2 take the 24hours break requied so i manage to park infront ov some guys that were there for the night to hav a little break, then carryed on up to newport pagnell, same problem there, i asked if i could stop on the bus park and there response was i would recive a fine, so carryed on goin again, i would also like to shame newport pagnell as they put there petrol up to 2.99 a ltr and diesel to 3.19… disgusting.
So got back in the traffic again to carry on crawling along, we were quite lucky really as i have a stove, kettle, and plenty ov grud (includeing luxuary mince pies from m&s…mmm) obviosley some ppl had nothing bar there cars so had to sit for hours in that traffic doing sod all with no drink or food.
eventually got to j16 and after getting past the stranded cars and lorrys we were clean and green, but what a day. we arrived home at 3.45 am so i had not been able to meet my m8s 4 beers and was to l8 4 the pubs lol.
My question to you all is, obviosley i dnt know the law on this but clearly. IF i was in my truck and couldnt find anywhere safe to park for 24hrs becase of adverse weather conditions and it was my 6th shift, how would that stand? or what should i do if that happens again?
i saw people pulled over on the hard shoulder and dint know if that was safe enough for a 24hour break, and also a high value load? plus it said not to on the radio.
Did any1 else get stuck in it? what did you do?
thanks for reading sorry for spelling haha.

shame newport pagnell as they put there petrol up to 2.99 a ltr and diesel to 3.19…

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Shoudln’t that be illegal? Maybe they were trying to preserve supplies for the people who were really low and had to have it as they probly couldn’t get new deliveries but a cynical man would say they were just profiteering.

I spoke to Walkers Crisp driver and Walkers had contacted Thames Valley Police who had given them authority to stay on hard shoulder for daily rest due to the conditions.I have previously written on back of chart (or a printout these days) exceeded hours due to adverse weather.The tacho shows the heavy traffic you have been in,and unless you work for a bunch of cowboys,I would think that VOSA would take no action.
The problem we had last night on M1 was very thick freezing fog with unlit trucks (99% foreign) parked on h/s,sumtimes parked in lane 1 because lanes were not visible which is a recipe for dissaster.What annoyed me was the trucks parked on the h/s 1 mile before services.I can understand the ones parked up north of the services because the truck,and coach park,were full up,but at least they tried to get to the services.Most foreigners think parking on the h/s anytime,is alright.But then when most are running over hours,poorly maintained and over loaded,parking on the h/s means nothing :angry:

i mean i dont mind stopping out over the weekend, normally over seas somewhere, but with the traffic how it was and nowhere to park (nowhere that safe) i was kinda hopeing if any1 was to stop me they would be kind and sweep it under the table as me and my boss have a clean record, and never break the law… as he says its just not worth it which is nice.

You didnt give us the vital details as to how many hours driving/spread you were over by?

scottishcruiser:
You didnt give us the vital details as to how many hours driving/spread you were over by?

He started at 4am and finished less than 12 hours later. Stopped for a break too so it’s likely, that since a lot of those hours were stationary anyway, he was legal.

extrucker:
Most foreigners think parking on the h/s anytime,is alright.But then when most are running over hours,poorly maintained and over loaded,parking on the h/s means nothing :angry:

Dozy tossers have probably stopped to wave a map at you! :laughing:

3.19 for a litre of diesel :question:

Time to perfect an Irish accent I think :open_mouth:

Santa:

scottishcruiser:

He started at 4am and finished less than 12 hours later. Stopped for a break too so it’s likely, that since a lot of those hours were stationary anyway, he was legal.

started 4 am finished 3.45 am 23.45 hrs spread over.
:laughing:

Johnny aka Little John:

Santa:

scottishcruiser:

started 4 am finished 3.45 am 23.45 hrs spread over.
:laughing:

thats right, obviosley i know it is very naughty… esp that ammount of hours, but like i say there was actually not a place to park, esp with a high value load… not that i was in a lorry, i mite hav been in the van?? but the point is if i was in a lorry and that was the case and i got stopped wot do u think would happen?