My batterys exploded today

Coming off the A14 slip road to get on the A43 to Northampton when my batterys exploded. That’s not an exaggeration either, scared the hell out of me and rocked the unit in the process. I didn’t know what it was at first but soon pulled into a lay by up the road. Shattered all the plastic housing around it and there was battery acid everywhere, all over the hot exhaust, on the trailer,unit, it even went as far back as the handle for the legs on the trailer.
Does anyone know why this happened and has it happened to anyone on here?? Was waiting 3 hours for Iveco call out :unamused:

Could be the alternator mate over charging. Had that on a car years ago but just melted the plastic then!!

Had you noticed an eggy smell earlier?

axletramp:

Are you suggesting a stray spark lit his arse gas?

:laughing: no there was no smell. Didn’t have any warning lights on dash or anything. The fitter did say it could of possibly been because they were overcharging and also they were budget batteries apprently :confused: Lucky I wasn’t going through a high street at the time that could of ended badly :open_mouth:

FarnboroughBoy11:
:lol: no there was no smell. Didn’t have any warning lights on dash or anything. The fitter did say it could of possibly been because they were overcharging and also they were budget batteries apprently :confused: Lucky I wasn’t going through a high street at the time that could of ended badly :open_mouth:

Budget batteries probably, plates touching, exploding hydrogen.

As I understand it, modern sealed batteries keep the hydrogen discharge inside the case under pressure, where it eventually recombines with oxygen to become water again (thats why they don’t need topping up).

If the battery is being over charged causing exessive gassing; and something fails inside the case and makes a spark - BANG!!! Hydrogen is HIGHLY flammable which is one reason we aren’t using it for fuel.

44 Tonne Ton:

axletramp:

Are you suggesting a stray spark lit his arse gas?

No, not really. :laughing:
I once noticed an eggy smell near the batteries and when I mentioned it to the mechanic (they were
mechanics then, not fitters) he immediately suspected the alternator was overcharging.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Coming off the A14 slip road to get on the A43 to Northampton when my batterys exploded. That’s not an exaggeration either, scared the hell out of me and rocked the unit in the process. I didn’t know what it was at first but soon pulled into a lay by up the road. Shattered all the plastic housing around it and there was battery acid everywhere, all over the hot exhaust, on the trailer,unit, it even went as far back as the handle for the legs on the trailer.
Does anyone know why this happened and has it happened to anyone on here?? Was waiting 3 hours for Iveco call out :unamused:

There’s your problem :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It
Vibrates
Eventually
Combusting
Often

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I had one explode in Shirley High Street (Southampton), it was at the time of the Falklands conflict and war had just been declared on Argentine. I’ve never seen so many people run for cover, one bloke was convinced it was an Argentinian missile, a dozen rozzers came running out of the cop shop and another bloke was praying to allah. Nobody knew what it was at first, but it was a bloody good explosion!

Tiger.

Think it was probably the voltage regulator. Looks like Iveco electrics havn’t improved since I ran one in the 90s

A friend of mine blew his eyeball out when the battery exploded whilst it was on a trickle charger :open_mouth: