My back is aching

All week i have been bouncing up and down in the hot seat

Now my lower back is killing me

I also find myself leaning to the right hand side while driving

Tips and advice please

Do you drive a DAF?.I used to get sore lower back when I had a CF.

You possibly have a protruding discin the lower part of your spine putting pressure on the sciatic nerve , no help I’m afraid mate , just pain killers & gentle exercises , mine is killing me after painting today …

damoq:

No a man

kemaro:
You possibly have a protruding discin the lower part of your spine putting pressure on the sciatic nerve , no help I’m afraid mate , just pain killers & gentle exercises , mine is killing me after painting today …

I also run 24 miles a week this may not be helping i guess :cry:

have you tried adjusting the lumbar support?

or altering the seating/steering wheel position?

thetastytrucker:

damoq:

No a mann

I very much doubt its your truck that’s causing your sore back. Although MAN’s are far from being my favourite, they have to have one of the most comfortable seats in the business.

The biggest cause of back ache for high mileage drivers is sitting on that big fat wallet in your arse pocket.

Solution 1 : Wear trousers with side of leg pockets. Re-locate big fat wallet to side of leg pocket.

Solution 2 : Stop driving.

shuttlespanker:
have you tried adjusting the lumbar support?

or altering the seating/steering wheel position?

yes and yes but i am 6ft 3 and after about 15 minutes i find myself slumped into seat

i wonder if amazon.co.uk/Mesh-Lumbar-Sup … ck+support are any good ?

Chas:
The biggest cause of back ache for high mileage drivers is sitting on that big fat wallet in your arse pocket.

Solution 1 : Wear trousers with side of leg pockets. Re-locate big fat wallet to side of leg pocket.

Solution 2 : Stop driving.

:grimacing: Already have side pockets and my wallet is in there but there is more plastic than cash in there

thetastytrucker:

Could be the repetitive shock of running causing the issues, try a couple of anti inflammatory mild pain killers (not the buggers that you can’t drive with) and make sure your seats set for maximum lower back lumbar support, also some sort of girdle may ease things, but ease back on the running a bit for a week and see if things improve.

If symptoms persist consult your doctor. etc :slight_smile:

thetastytrucker:
:grimacing: Already have side pockets and my wallet is in there but there is more plastic than cash in there

So, if it’s not the big fat wallet, then it’s either . . .

1. A glass back.

2. Very poor posture.

3. Bad ergonomics.

Dipper_Dave:

thetastytrucker:

also some sort of girdle may ease things,

It will be a disc problem guaranteed , get the doc , lay it on thick push for an mri scan , only sure way to diagnose it , once you know what is causing it you can work to help relieve it, but unfortunately once you have a genuine back problem it will never go , its not like a dole enduced back ache , keep active though , lie on your front arms out either side pull your stomach in & lift your self up gently leaving your legs on the floor , repeat that several times

damoq:

thetastytrucker:

damoq:

No a mann

I very much doubt its your truck that’s causing your sore back. Although MAN’s are far from being my favourite, they have to have one of the most comfortable seats in the business.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

need to laugh at that,someone is very anti DAF …Bad back must be due to driving a DAF no he drives a M.A.N .well he must have a back problem :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Weren’t Scania the ones who had the issue with drivers getting bad backs ■■ :question: :question:

norb:

damoq:

thetastytrucker:

damoq:

No a mann

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

need to laugh at that,someone is very anti DAF …Bad back must be due to driving a DAF no he drives a M.A.N .well he must have a back problem :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Weren’t Scania the ones who had the issue with drivers getting bad backs ■■ :question: :question:

I’ll freely admit to being anti DAF. Had one which was the biggest and most uncomfortable and unreliable pile of ■■■■ I’ve ever driven. I’ll even go as far as saying that the ERF EC11 it replaced was a better truck to drive. The best thing about my old CF was the 2 steps out of it! We have a 12 plate CF in our place just now on long term hire and I can honestly say nothing has changed my opinion of them. Age certainly hasn’t improved it one bit. But that’s just my opinion.

Voltarol :slight_smile:

dont run on tarmac and the shock from pounding on concrete is a killer to your joints . it catches up with all runners because man never was designed to run on such hard surfaces

unbranded-fiery-jack-rubbing-cream-tube-35g.jpg

First set the seat height so that the back of your thighs are supported, then the squab (the bit your bum rests on) so the front edge is about an inch behind your belt knee then forward or back so that you reach the steering wheel without stretching. Adjust pitch so that your gut is not compressed (I find an angle just bigger than 90 degrees works for me) and then the lateral supports in the back rest so they hold firmly against your sides. Then bring the lower lumber support in until it is just felt then the upper lumber support. Use both arm rests if fitted to take the weight of your arms off of your shoulders. Then adjust the steering wheel pitch so that you can rest with hands at about 2:30/9:30. This might seem like a lot of faff but given the variety of drivers physique one seat setting can’t be right for all.

Stop every 2-3 hours and get out of the seat, stretch you back and have a walk about, round the truck park, use the loo.

Personally I wouldn’t use the pills and creams; your body registers pain for a reason and masking it to allow you to continue doing that which is causing the pain is only going to further add to the problem. I have spinal cord damage from disease so I am very mindful of back comfort. You might also have some relief from a chiropractor but unless you are very lucky won’t get this on the NHS and will have to pay. I paid about £40 for the initial session and £25 for follow on sessions about 8 years ago. You only have one back and once wrecked it’s wrecked forever.