MUST READ! Funding for training

Hey all I just thought I’d put this out there as not many people know about it… I got my class 2 about 8 years ago with the intention to get my class 1 but shortly after passing I met my lovely wife [WINKING FACE] and then came along a house followed by a few kids and long story short I couldn’t afford to take my class 1 so iv been plodding along driving rigids ever since… Until recently I thought to myself I wonder if there is anything out there that can help me out (with there been a shortage of drivers and all) so I done some digging and came across a placed called aspire cilt who offer funding to people looking to further there career in the transport and logistics sector I called a lovely lady called Liz who was extremely helpfull and she told me the ins and outs and what I had to do… filled in the application form explaining why and what I wanted it for and 3 months later I got the funding for my class 1…

I hope Iv explained this well enough as I’m not 1 for words but I just thought it’s worth letting people know about them because if they don’t use the money they loose it…

If you want to know more let me know and I’ll do my best to reply…

Berty:
Hey all I just thought I’d put this out there as not many people know about it… I got my class 2 about 8 years ago with the intention to get my class 1 but shortly after passing I met my lovely wife [WINKING FACE] and then came along a house followed by a few kids and long story short I couldn’t afford to take my class 1 so iv been plodding along driving rigids ever since… Until recently I thought to myself I wonder if there is anything out there that can help me out (with there been a shortage of drivers and all) so I done some digging and came across a placed called aspire cilt who offer funding to people looking to further there career in the transport and logistics sector I called a lovely lady called Liz who was extremely helpfull and she told me the ins and outs and what I had to do… filled in the application form explaining why and what I wanted it for and 3 months later I got the funding for my class 1…

I hope Iv explained this well enough as I’m not 1 for words but I just thought it’s worth letting people know about them because if they don’t use the money they loose it…

If you want to know more let me know and I’ll do my best to reply…

I was just waiting for the magic words “but wait, there’s more!..”.

Why would a true charity be in a position of “using or losing” its own funds?

Rjan:
Why would a true charity be in a position of “using or losing” its own funds?

Not the charity but that particular section of it could be.

I have no idea that’s just what I was told… It’s government run so are you suprised [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

aspire-cilt.org.uk/

And here it is. Never heard of it myself. But heyho crack on mate well done good digging.

Why can the hauliers get away without paying for training it is their responsibility not the tax payer.Most of the money will be wasted as I can bet lots that get trained will pack up when they get a pass and go off do some thing else

this funding thing sorry berty does my head in, what happened to the days when you paid with your time at a company to move up or saved to train.

why should others money be used to pay for you to train for a job that isn’t in real shortage?

but hey ho if you have the time to search and find it no doubt you can train for whatever - its like the flt drivers of the 1990’s all government funded all keeping the wages down.

why not do a training loan like they do with student loans? I have been to uni still paying for my loans and by the time I retire I will have paid off far more than I borrowed.

QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
ASPIRE will provide financial assistance to individuals to support full or part-time study primarily for recognised professional qualifications in the field of logistics, the supply chain and transport, provided by the CILT [CILT and/or CILT (UK) ] or recognized and other approved Awarding bodies recognised by CILT. It is not envisaged that help can be given to academic courses at this time. All applications for awards will be judged by an Awards Panel whose decision will be final and may not be appealed. Recognised qualifications are all those accredited by CILT, although others in the field offered by other professional institutes may be considered at the discretion of the Awards Panel. A condition of awards being made is that beneficiaries must be or must become members of their national CILT organisation.

The financial assistance will be principally in the area of course fees and/or the purchase of text books and distance learning materials, although in proven cases of hardship, and at the discretion of the Awards Panel, help may be provided with travel and subsistence costs related to participation in approved courses, but this would be judged on a case by case basis and limited only in the country of residence.

Awards will only be made to applicants where there is no opportunity to obtain funds from other sources – hence ASPIRE awards will not be made if a loan or grant has already been made or is obtainable through the other channels normally available to students.

ASPIRE will not fund research projects or academic degrees.

The Awards Committee, consisting of industry wide representatives and members of CILT, will base its judgment on the extent to which applications meet either or both of the following general criteria. To be successful applications must match at least one of these criteria.

Bona fide education and training programmes in the field of logistics, transport and supply chain management: comprehensive and relevant in nature and should contribute to the development of improved practices in the field.
Skills development in the field of logistics, transport and supply chain management and/or involve working with younger people, educational establishments and developing countries to promote careers in logistics and better logistical practice.
The following general principles will be applied in respect of allocation of funds:

Applications will not be supported which would normally be met from the core costs of organisations.
Applications in support of political parties, political lobbying or commercial interest will not be considered.
Grants will only be paid to accredited education centres subject to their agreement to the terms and conditions made by ASPIRE to ensure the proper use of funds. Grants will generally be paid at the commencement of the project or educational programme and when any relevant conditions on the grant have been met. Grants for individuals’ academic course fees will be paid directly to the educational institution concerned on confirmation a place has been offered and an official invoice has been received.
Aspire encourages and may give priority to applications that include funding from other sources, involve partnership or co-operation between organisations and/or are sustainable and provide a long-term legacy.
Activities supported by Aspire normally need to be commenced within twelve months of the grant being approved.
Written requests for extensions or variations will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
In all instances the decision of the Awards Committee will be final.

Mmmm interesting … Would ADR tanks + packs, or DCPC hours count as an eligible course?

Good point if they pay for ADR I’d apply, don’t give a ■■■■ if the bill is paid by the tax payer. Been paying tax since a left school so better in my pocket than some bloody asylum seeker.

Apologise for the irrelevance of this but am I the only who read the second word as ■■■■ :blush:

simple really,

The government fork out 3k for a person to get a truck licence, they take a person of the dole who wants that licence, he works for30 years … 3k well spent considering the tax he pays and less benefits he applies for.

typical jealous people who say tax payers shouldnt pay!!!, I have just forwarded the link to a friend so hopefully he can apply for free funding.

MickyB666:
Apologise for the irrelevance of this but am I the only who read the second word as ■■■■ :blush:

No you are not :smiley:

war1974:
this funding thing sorry berty does my head in, what happened to the days when you paid with your time at a company to move up or saved to train.

why should others money be used to pay for you to train for a job that isn’t in real shortage?

but hey ho if you have the time to search and find it no doubt you can train for whatever - its like the flt drivers of the 1990’s all government funded all keeping the wages down.

why not do a training loan like they do with student loans? I have been to uni still paying for my loans and by the time I retire I will have paid off far more than I borrowed.

That’s a fair shout and ok if you work for a big company who are willing to pay for your training but I work for a small company with no room for progression and with a waiting time of 2 months for a new ratchet strap lol… I looked into every option to pay for it myself but due to my financial situation I just couldn’t afford it having to live from payday to payday so I swallowed my pride and applied for funding… Iv worked all my life and never complained or asked for anything so it’s nice to get a little in return

peirre:

QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
ASPIRE will provide financial assistance to individuals to support full or part-time study primarily for recognised professional qualifications in the field of logistics, the supply chain and transport, provided by the CILT [CILT and/or CILT (UK) ] or recognized and other approved Awarding bodies recognised by CILT. It is not envisaged that help can be given to academic courses at this time. All applications for awards will be judged by an Awards Panel whose decision will be final and may not be appealed. Recognised qualifications are all those accredited by CILT, although others in the field offered by other professional institutes may be considered at the discretion of the Awards Panel. A condition of awards being made is that beneficiaries must be or must become members of their national CILT organisation.

The financial assistance will be principally in the area of course fees and/or the purchase of text books and distance learning materials, although in proven cases of hardship, and at the discretion of the Awards Panel, help may be provided with travel and subsistence costs related to participation in approved courses, but this would be judged on a case by case basis and limited only in the country of residence.

Awards will only be made to applicants where there is no opportunity to obtain funds from other sources – hence ASPIRE awards will not be made if a loan or grant has already been made or is obtainable through the other channels normally available to students.

ASPIRE will not fund research projects or academic degrees.

The Awards Committee, consisting of industry wide representatives and members of CILT, will base its judgment on the extent to which applications meet either or both of the following general criteria. To be successful applications must match at least one of these criteria.

Bona fide education and training programmes in the field of logistics, transport and supply chain management: comprehensive and relevant in nature and should contribute to the development of improved practices in the field.
Skills development in the field of logistics, transport and supply chain management and/or involve working with younger people, educational establishments and developing countries to promote careers in logistics and better logistical practice.
The following general principles will be applied in respect of allocation of funds:

Applications will not be supported which would normally be met from the core costs of organisations.
Applications in support of political parties, political lobbying or commercial interest will not be considered.
Grants will only be paid to accredited education centres subject to their agreement to the terms and conditions made by ASPIRE to ensure the proper use of funds. Grants will generally be paid at the commencement of the project or educational programme and when any relevant conditions on the grant have been met. Grants for individuals’ academic course fees will be paid directly to the educational institution concerned on confirmation a place has been offered and an official invoice has been received.
Aspire encourages and may give priority to applications that include funding from other sources, involve partnership or co-operation between organisations and/or are sustainable and provide a long-term legacy.
Activities supported by Aspire normally need to be commenced within twelve months of the grant being approved.
Written requests for extensions or variations will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
In all instances the decision of the Awards Committee will be final.

Mmmm interesting … Would ADR tanks + packs, or DCPC hours count as an eligible course?

If thats gonna further career prospects then give it a go mate

discoman:
simple really,

The government fork out 3k for a person to get a truck licence, they take a person of the dole who wants that licence, he works for30 years … 3k well spent considering the tax he pays and less benefits he applies for.

typical jealous people who say tax payers shouldnt pay!!!, I have just forwarded the link to a friend so hopefully he can apply for free funding.

Thanks mate it’s worth mentioning that Iv never been on the dole[emoji3]

Berty:

discoman:
simple really,

Thanks mate it’s worth mentioning that Iv never been on the dole[emoji3]

I guess you could also look at it as if you don’t take it someone will politicians etc. :smiley:

Yep lol… Although with all the government cuts don’t know how long it will be around…