Must have held licence 2 years

well, signed up with another agency this morning at 9 am, just rang me with urgent trunk run (artic) start today at 12. so much for two years! only passed my artic feb this year. firms are desperate at the moment, so anyone struggling to get work because youve only just got your licence dont fret. Get yourself signed up with all the local agencys and watch the work come in. Just turn up, on time, get the job done and get the truck back in one piece and youll be turning work down.
Will add another post when i get back to tell you how my “trunk run” went. :wink:

Well Done.

I am pessimistic about agencies at the best of times but it appears they are busy at the moment.

I have just been booked for another week (inc Saturday) tramping next week.

Good luck with the run. Let us know how you go :slight_smile:

Wish it was the case here

Registered with a few but nowt yep call every other day

Have also tried most local companies put feelers out still nowt

Lucky you. I don’t even get a look in with the agency. Probably because I’m female. :frowning:

Try supermarket work kitty, at least 10 female drivers here, and about half and half office/transport clerk staff which pays similar to driving anyway or even combine the two as I’ve often found women prefer the social aspect of a workplace and you’ll get that at an rdc.

KittyKat:
Lucky you. I don’t even get a look in with the agency. Probably because I’m female. :frowning:

It may be that not much in your area , Ive always had a positive attitude were ever ive worked no one worries that im female , so i dont think its your gender its just you havent had that first run yet , honest when you get that break and do a fine job the work will come in after , this time of year agency work picks up as people take theyre hols so dont give up theres a good chance a job will come up , do what animal does ring them up just to remind them your there , if youve just rung them and a job comes in your name will be on theyre mind as they have just spoke to you :smiley:

good luck and keep trying your break will come

jen x

andrewjh009:
Try supermarket work kitty, at least 10 female drivers here, and about half and half office/transport clerk staff which pays similar to driving anyway or even combine the two as I’ve often found women prefer the social aspect of a workplace and you’ll get that at an rdc.

Is supermarket work not all class one? I don’t have mine yet. I know someone mentioned me to try the co op but I never bothered cause I thought it was all class one.

around here the co-operative is all class 2 deliveries with class 1 going to the ndc. Thats lincoln by the way

:grimacing:

Co op at the north west depo I’d say is 3:2 class 1 and 2, most of the stores are smaller shops and petrol station forecourts they have brought in the bigger class 2 wagons that hold similar volumes of cages as the average size trailers, imagine a similar set up at the other centres. I think I’ve only been to 2 stores that are a typical supermarket set up I.e a self contained ‘yard’ with gated access, often come across bread company drivers in similar trucks too.

KittyKat:

Yep I am female as well dont get a look in with company’s partly because of that

trunk run went great after first shock when i turned up and was told " you know its wagon and drag?" oh, ok. (never done it before, but wasnt going to tell them that!) straight forward 3.5 hour run to st clears carmarthenshire with another full timer in convoy, change four full boxes for four empties have a 45 and fish and chips and a nice drive back. was a real eye opener because until now i had ideas about a V8 scania, out tramping all week etc. but when the guy told me how much he got paid for this! only last week i was doing fridge multi drop all over the country with 15 hour days and untold amounts of stress to pick up less than he did. gonna seriously pull out all the stops to get as much work there as i can. Even the agency was paying £10ph. as for wagon and drag, no where near as hard as i thaught it would be however reversing was quite different and once youve got the trailer under two boxes you cant be making any last minuet ajustments its gotta be dead straight. I had a go but, have to be honest decided it would be quicker and safer to let the full timer Gav do it, and it was! thanks Gav. :laughing: back to the agency thing. mabey I was a bit lucky but im with two now and im going to register with a third who ive found out are the main supplier of drivers to the firm i worked for last night. :wink: i tell them all i dont care about nights, nights out, weekends or even 7.5 or rigids which i may live to regret but it seems to work. anyways happy truckin ppl will let you know how next weeks adventures pan out.

got to mention the lady driver thing. thats really bad if its true. ive seen quite a lot of female drivers latley and personally know a couple. i dont see any reason why any woman couldnt do as good if not better job than a bloke. and look better doin it :laughing: but seriously if you think anyones not giving you work because of gender just mention the word discrimination. its all there in the wads of paperwork the agencies have you signing. :angry:

superhands:
got to mention the lady driver thing. thats really bad if its true. ive seen quite a lot of female drivers latley and personally know a couple. i dont see any reason why any woman couldnt do as good if not better job than a bloke. and look better doin it :laughing: but seriously if you think anyones not giving you work because of gender just mention the word discrimination. its all there in the wads of paperwork the agencies have you signing. :angry:

Not that simple as you would have to prove it & then live with the consequences

superhands:
im going to register with a third who ive found out are the main supplier of drivers to the firm i worked for last night.

Chances are the ‘third’ agency won’t be able to supply you direct into the same place - it’ll be in the Terms of Business between the client and the supplying agencies. Usually there will be at least a 6 week ‘last supplied’ rule i.e. you can only go into a client with ‘agency B’ if you have previously been in there with ‘agency A’, after 6 weeks since your last shift for ‘agency A’ with that particular client.

The penalty clauses are usually quite steep/expensive and as such, the client won’t want to get into the associated ‘hassle’.